Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Has anyone ever met a religious person that wasn't brought up in a family of believers, or didn't 'find' God either because they needed comfort or someone to thank for good fortune?

I'm just curious if anyone every walked into a library on a Tuesday, read the Bible/Quran/Torah etc with no underlying emotional turmoil in their life and decided it all just adds up.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2022 at 15:01, villa4europe said:

It's dying out, painted walls are taking over, don't think younger people can be arsed with it, you only paper a wall if it's an old house, the surface is shit and you can't be bothered to plaster it

Whichever is the laziest solution 

I've lived on my own or with my partner for 12 years now. And have decorated pretty much every room in my house and now my flat at least once.

I've never even considered wallpaper. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 16:33, Sam-AVFC said:

Has anyone ever met a religious person that wasn't brought up in a family of believers, or didn't 'find' God either because they needed comfort or someone to thank for good fortune?

I'm just curious if anyone every walked into a library on a Tuesday, read the Bible/Quran/Torah etc with no underlying emotional turmoil in their life and decided it all just adds up.

I need to get to know him a bit more, but I've just had a guy start working for me who is Muslim. He was born in Portugal so no Muslim connections as far as I can see.

He did work in Saudi Arabia for about 10 years which is where he converted, but as far as I can tell it was his own choice.

Maybe something happened to him that made him "find" Islam. But at the moment he appears to be someone who just thought it made sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I need to get to know him a bit more, but I've just had a guy start working for me who is Muslim. He was born in Portugal so no Muslim connections as far as I can see.

He did work in Saudi Arabia for about 10 years which is where he converted, but as far as I can tell it was his own choice.

Maybe something happened to him that made him "find" Islam. But at the moment he appears to be someone who just thought it made sense

Might have been a case that being Muslim in that environment will have opened doors for him or made his life a lot easier.  A bit like over here getting a splash of water on your kid's head can mean a better school.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Might have been a case that being Muslim in that environment will have opened doors for him or made his life a lot easier.  A bit like over here getting a splash of water on your kid's head can mean a better school.

Maybe. But he doesn't live there anymore so he's clearly decided to carry it on for whatever reason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

To be honest what I wondered is probably an impossible scenario as there can't be many people in the world who know nothing of any religions and can form truly unbiased opinions.

With Saudi being the Muslim country I feel like it must be hard to live any form of life without it being intrinsically linked to Islam.

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If you convert to Islam or Judaism as a male adult, do you have to get circumcised? 

A lot of Jewish people would tell you can't convert so the question is irrelevant :)

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If you convert to Islam or Judaism as a male adult, do you have to get circumcised? 

adult converts to Islam are encouraged to have the operation but circumcision isn't compulsory in Islam ..it's encouraged but not enforced  ..

but it seems to be a grey area .... its practised for cleanliness reasons and It doesn't say in the Quran anywhere that you have to  , but the process itself stems for Mohammed supposedly being born without a foreskin and all Muslims being expected to follow the way and the life of the Prophet , so some Islamic leaders / teachers say it is compulsory !! 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

Â