Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Yep Pete, a load of Glaswegians moved down to work in the steelwroks in the 30s. There's still a very prevalent Scottish presence there. I was getting the train down to London from there a while ago, and the train was delayed by an hour as a load of Rangers and Celtic fans decided to have a fight on the platform. It's a shame, as all of the surrounding countryside is lovely with some stunning villages. To get there, I drive through Rockingham, a picture postcard lovely ironstone village wih a castle. You get to the top of the hill in the picture below, and then you're in Corby surrounded by concrete ugliness.  Had to take my daugher to Corby urgent care centre last Friday evening, and was sat there for three hours. Saw some interesting characters in there, and no mistake. 

r4.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

The best stuff was gone by the 80s, in the early 70s there were some great trains in that yard and they'd really stopped scrapping them as they realised they were more valuable to sell to preservation than the bare metal.

I posted on here a few months back about how I'd drag my granddad around there on a day out instead of going to the Fun Fair, climbing up into the cabs of the loco's, it really was a very magical place

I just remember loads of rusty old trains truth be told ….  it could have been around 78 I went , I sorta went with me being 10 at the time (1980) for the purpose of posting , but I think I was younger  

my parents will have the photos somewhere and my dad is old school and wrote the dates on the back , I might dig them out next time I see them , see if they’ve got any other Barry landmarks in the album …

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

Johnny Owen was an absolute local hero

Everyone knew Johnny from miles around, you'd see him out training, every day, running over mountains, he used to run up and down the Heads of the Valley Road, I even saw him once running along the road from Merthyr to Brecon and when he was finished in Brecon, he bought an ice cream and waited for his trainer to come and give him a lift home. He was like a like a living comic book character out of the VIctor Comic

00ea8e64c61a0e3c0aacb4c07e21c8e5.jpg

• Like 1

I have to admit a fondness for that Mark Steel show on Radio 4 where he goes to different places and tries to find the good and interesting in all of them. I didn't much enjoy the phase when people kept publishing books called things like 'Britain's Crappest Towns Vol. 10'; even though clearly most places hold no interest for a visitor, you'd like to imagine that for a local there's something to cheer about most places.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Risso said:

Yep Pete, a load of Glaswegians moved down to work in the steelwroks in the 30s. There's still a very prevalent Scottish presence there. I was getting the train down to London from there a while ago, and the train was delayed by an hour as a load of Rangers and Celtic fans decided to have a fight on the platform. It's a shame, as all of the surrounding countryside is lovely with some stunning villages.

You're right about that, I've driven through some lovely Northamptonshire villages. Always thought as a county it was very underrated in terms of scenery. However, most big towns in the county leave a lot to be desired! Daventry the pick maybe?

With the amount of thought, research and money that must go in to producing kids tv shows on cbeebies and other different streaming services I subscribe to, why is it my 2 year old is much happier watching really odd, cheaply made things on YouTube?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

With the amount of thought, research and money that must go in to producing kids tv shows on cbeebies and other different streaming services I subscribe to, why is it my 2 year old is much happier watching really odd, cheaply made things on YouTube?

Yep, I had that exact phase with my kid. 

She loved watching “Cookie Swirl” unbox toys or watching her play “Roblox”. Or “Ryan’s World” with Ryan’s impracticality sized toys.

Incidentally, as I’m not likely to appear in the gaming section too often - ****ing Roblox, man. The game play on that, I don’t know how kids play it. I used to think it was tricky on Tetris when the blocks dropped faster, but I find the task of having to move the Roblox characters both an unpleasant and unrewarding experience .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Why can't left footed people even remotely kick a ball with their right foot?

Most right footed people have duff lefts but they can use them in desperate need.

I've never played with a leftie that can't even swing a right leg.

Not played with many then.

I can use my right peg, so **** YOU

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Most right footed people have duff lefts but they can use them in desperate need.

I'm left footed and was constantly ribbed by my team mates about the lack of right foot  ... I scored a goal with my right foot once that although crossing the goal line didn't have enough power to hit the back of the net ,which just added to the merriment :) 

and yet , they seemed to overlook the fact that none of them could kick a ball with their left foot , desperate need or not 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Xela said:

You're right about that, I've driven through some lovely Northamptonshire villages. Always thought as a county it was very underrated in terms of scenery. However, most big towns in the county leave a lot to be desired! Daventry the pick maybe?

I'd agree with this, lived there for a decade or so, and while it's a lovely country to drive through, and visit a nice country pub, the towns are absolute shitholes without exception.

Much like many other areas out of the south east, the industry left, and there was **** all left in terms of career prospects, so with no big city in the country, it's just lots of small towns with no personality and no prospects. I think I only know one person who left for university and actually went back. 

• Like 1

Andover on the other hand... **** me.  You won't get stabbed or anything, so it's technically not a bad place, but after 5 minutes you'd want to stab yourself.  I'd say that makes it the perfect candidate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Whoever said Basingstoke, how many famous penis statues do you have in your town eh?

That reminded me of where I used to live. You can guess what this looks like in some angles.

image.jpeg.e9572849ac6616e4c5d0a9e9b6f5e04e.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I scored with my otherwise-utterly-non-existent left foot on Weds (a tidy bottom corner finish too, not that I had any notion/control of where it would end up when I hit it) and it took all my will power not to go full Faustino-Asprilla-cartwheel/chainsaw-rev for the goal celebration, such was my jubilation.  Well, that and the knowledge I would (deservedly) be kicked into orbit during any following passages of play. 

Which brings me to an on-topic ponderance; what is an acceptable level of goal celebration during a quasi-casual kickabout?

Edited by GarethRDR

Im one of those.the only thing I use my left foot for is to stop from falling over when I am using my right foot.

FYI,this is how New Zealand pick the All Blacks.All the players stand on 1 foot and the last 15 standing are given  an All black shirt.

I stand by my vote.

Plus by that logic, Basingstoke gave the world Jane Austen (despite what those tourist-pilfering shitehawks in Bath *spit* would have you believe).

Erm, and Burberry.

Â