dudevillaisnice

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Doeesn't this logic make Everton's season even worse?

That even when other teams aren't doing well, they're still 12th?

Yes it does, obviously.

Pooface.

Edited by lapal_fan
less harsh.

50 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yes it does, obviously.

Pooface.

Then I'm stumped to what Dem is talking about :D

He's defending Martinez but everything he's saying us making him out to be worse :lol:

It's brilliant.

Edited by StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

...and a top 6 budget ( I would imagine)

...and by top 6 I mean, erm...6.

Surely no higher than 7th? 2x Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool - I make that 6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't really mean my intervention to be taken as a defence of Martinez. I can't get passionate about it either way. They play some good football. They don't win enough at home. They should probably be higher in the league, but not that much higher. They've overachieved in one of his seasons, and underachieved in the other two. Weak but not disastrous.

I was just trying to cut through some of the back-and-forth a little bit really.

• Like 1

Pour vous Hanoi seeing as you're new to the discussion and I had left my attempts further back.  My stance. Everton have basically as good a squad as West Ham and certainly Southampton.  So in a unique season such as this, where the big boys have dropped a bollock, West Ham and Southampton have managed to challenge for top 4 by not being shit, but only for this season because it'll all probably be back to normal next season.  But somehow, in this season where Everton should by rights be in the same general position as West Ham and Southampton (because they've a similar quality squad remember), they've arguably managed to drop both bollocks and be even worse than the sides who have themselves been very bad*.  That's quite an achievement all in all even for Martinez.

In fact he's quite lucky that there have been other sides taking the attention somewhat away from him, because if everyone else was performing to their abilities and Everton were doing what they're doing this season then they'd stand out like a sore thumb.

* They're not just 12th.  They're 6pts off 10th.  They're cut adrift of the chasing pack.

I'll just reiterate my long-standing position on Martinez - he's not very good and his entire reputation stands on just doing enough to keep Wigan afloat whilst stupidly playing 'good football'.

He wouldn't know a good defence if one gave him a leg breaking clattering.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How about a different approach?

Everton are basically a midtable team. They're basically in midtable.

Was the squad that much significantly better under Moyes though. Yes they had a lot of quality in midfield but Moyes's strikers were Beattie, Andy Jonshon, Saha, Yakubu, Stracqualish, Victor Anichebe, Marcus Bent and Jermaine Beckford in his 10 year reign. Some of those were good and had good scoring records but none on a patch on Lukaku.

Moyes consistantly had them top 6-7. Just shows you still the value of being well organised in the premier league and how high up the league you can finish.

the squad Everton have now for me is a lot better than what Moyes had to work with. Kilbane, Carsley, Hibbert, Anichebe even Leon Osman played a lot of games for club under Moyes, decent players but not a patch on current players in squad

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

the squad Everton have now for me is a lot better than what Moyes had to work with. Kilbane, Carsley, Hibbert, Anichebe even Leon Osman played a lot of games for club under Moyes, decent players but not a patch on current players in squad

Maybe as individuals they are more exciting now but Moyes had a better defence and more solid midfield. All thats better now is Lukaku really.

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe as individuals they are more exciting now but Moyes had a better defence and more solid midfield. 

That's the manager's responsibility. Martinez has the players for a good defense but he can't organise one to save his life.

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

All thats better now is Lukaku really.

Just nonsense and I think you know that too.

No Stefan Coleman  maybe as well but he's not great defensively. Barkley is probaly equal to Cahill. Piennar at his peak was really good. He had Lescott, Baines and Jagielkar at their peak. Arteta at his peak. So the only major difference is Lukaku.

Edited by PaulC

You beat me to pretty much the same post Stefan :trollface:

It's very unfair, the man's done well on such a small budget. Has them comfortable in midtable too.
  • Like 1

Did a bit of research and apparently the banners were in defence of Baines who had the temerity to come out and say the team had no chemistry, leading to Martinez demanding an apology. 

He's not wrong. 

Â