Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Think people are missing the point a bit.... no ones questioning his goalscoring ability

I see 3 different opinions here

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer but doesnt offer anything else and should given his price tag! - Im in this camp

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer and does offer something else! Fair enough, other than the assist to Gabby v Blackpool, you have seen something I havent, and I hope your right and Im wrong.

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer, and I dont care if he offers anything else or not! This opinion I cant get my head round? If we put that in to the season, people are happy for Darren Bent to offer nothing in 4 of 6 games (ie not score), because hes offered something in 2 of 6 games (ie scored). Cant understand that tbh, but I would be able to if he scored in the majority of games e.g. 4 or 5 games out of 6. Unfortunately, he doesnt and never has/will.

We have different opinions on his build up and link up play and how much he is in the game. However put that aside and lets look at it from your point of view that he isnt involved at all in some games. Even if he doesnt touch the ball it doesnt mean he isnt offering anything else. Every time we go forward he almost always makes the right run, this drags defenders which in turn opens up space, this on its own should not be ignored as to how valuable it can be.

I cant believe some of you are even debating this!?!?!

Its embarrassing...it really is!!!

We've been crying out, praying even for a goalscorer like Bent. Then when we get him, people cant help themselves but pick faults and moan.

Think people are missing the point a bit.... no ones questioning his goalscoring ability

I see 3 different opinions here

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer but doesnt offer anything else and should given his price tag! - Im in this camp

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer and does offer something else! Fair enough, other than the assist to Gabby v Blackpool, you have seen something I havent, and I hope your right and Im wrong.

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer, and I dont care if he offers anything else or not! This opinion I cant get my head round? If we put that in to the season, people are happy for Darren Bent to offer nothing in 4 of 6 games (ie not score), because hes offered something in 2 of 6 games (ie scored). Cant understand that tbh, but I would be able to if he scored in the majority of games e.g. 4 or 5 games out of 6. Unfortunately, he doesnt and never has/will.

We have different opinions on his build up and link up play and how much he is in the game. However put that aside and lets look at it from your point of view that he isnt involved at all in some games. Even if he doesnt touch the ball it doesnt mean he isnt offering anything else. Every time we go forward he almost always makes the right run, this drags defenders which in turn opens up space, this on its own should not be ignored as to how valuable it can be.

Its a fair point.

Theres no doubrt Darren bents movement is very good - otherwise he wouldnt get into goalscoring positions.

But other than that, does his movement help the team? I agree that great movement creates space, but are we good enough to expose that? probably not, or at least Im yet to see many incidents where we have made use of it.

Ashley young was probably his most useful in his last 2 seasons (even tho his form wasnt as good), because he created space by drawing two defenders. Problem was, we were never good enough to expose the space, and so it became wasted.

Now if we dont make use of the space Darren Bent creates then thats by no means Bents fault at all. But, I get the impression that people want the team to adapt to Darren Bent. (Last season, against Wigan, people were moaning Ash didnt let him take the peno, even tho he scored???? - as if it was more important that Bent added to his tally of goals)

Hes no doubt a great asset, but I don't believe hes anywhere near good enough to base a team round like you would a Rooney or a Messi.

And thats what I believes happening here. People are blaming Bents lack of goals on the creative form of the team. Well actually, when you think about it, were scoring more than were conceding, were doing well and 7th in the league.

Should Aston Villa be adapting to Darren bent??

or

Should Darren Bent be adapting to Aston Villa??

Daft thing is, (as I write this utter nonsense) Ive not stopped believing that darren Bent has not been fully fit and will no doubt start scoring regularly soon. :P

Gabby and Bent are two different players.

Yeah, Gabbys probably had less clear cut chances as a result

Bent is always at the right place at the right time.. Man City home 1-0 last season I think it was a prime example of that.

He is a quality player and in my opinion our best player along with Given.

I didn't realise Bent was untouchable and you weren't allowed a negative opinion about any part of his game. I think anyone that has said his link up play and hold up play could improve still thinks his movement and goals add a lot to the team. It's not moaning to state that a player could be even better by improving certain aspects of his game. He can do the harder things like finish and get into good positions, imagine how good he could be if he did some of the more simple things better. Having said that he must have worked on these throughout his career and we'd find it hard to find anyone better how he is now. I just think it is ok to state that he would be even better if he contributed to the game on top of his goals.

We all knew when we signed DB that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing a fat lot else. Holding the ball up/coming deep to get involved/working the flanks just isn't his game. Thankfully he has bagged a few goals since he arrived and even though he only has a couple of goals this season he could easily have 2 or 3 more and the one Petrov laid on a plate for him and the great save from Al Habsi instantly spring to mind.

I'm confident he'll bag 15-20 goals this season.

Some seem to question his motivation to play for us. I don't think that is an issue but if it is I'd **** him off asap. Despite our fall from relative grace over the last 18 months he would get nothing more than a sideways move as I wouldn't see any of the top 6 clubs coming in for him. Thankfully I don't think motivation is an issue.

Bent is always at the right place at the right time.. Man City home 1-0 last season I think it was a prime example of that.

Would kill for the same outcome on saturday.

I think the challenge is to find a formation and style of play that you can get Gabby and Bent into the best XI. Both of these players have, in the past, seemed to be at their best, IMO, when they were the sole striker.

If they are to play as a two then we need to work out how that will work - who drops etc..

How about the Man City squad.

How about the Man City squad.

You can start with Barry. :lol:

Â