Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

i said it last week and I'll say in now.

You play Heskey , and you completly nullify Bent. You only have to see, heskey off pitch, scores one, misses on.

Heskey on pitch, doesnt even get within 30 yrds of the goal.

Or maybe, 11 Villa players on pitch, scores one and misses one.

10 Villa players, doesn't even get within 30 yards of the goal.

How you can blame Heskey for Bent not having a shot is beyond me.

we actually played decent football last season compared to the rubbish on display now..
Much of the football we played last season was shambolic, shapeless and woeful. In particular, the defence was a disgrace. True we had some vastly better players in the side then, but please let's not start creating some myth about how great last season was.

Exactly!

But unfortunately we seem to have fallen back into the same habits!!!

I think he's been poor so far. I think one of the reasons he looks so poor is because gabby is playing so well. Gabby is getting the same service but through ridiculous hard work and individual skill he is causing defenders big problems and creating chances for himself.

Bent has missed a couple of sitters but for me i'm more disappointed in his all round play. I don't blame the service for that.

He would definitely be scoring more if he was getting more chances though, Bent isn't a very good finisher despite his goal scoring stats however his movement gets him into so many good positions that if he's picked out he will score. We need to start giving him more chances.

Its no surprise given that we lost our two most creative players, and arguably our two best players, and not replaced them with anything like the same quality, that the supply line to Bent has dried up somewhat. NZogbia was never a good enough replacement and anyone who thought he was was either deluded or kidding themselves.

Bent just needs to get on with it though. He has missed two sitters this season, along with a great save from Al Habsi, so he could be sitting on 6 goals which would be a very good return.

We all knew when we signed him that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing a fat lot else but I'd still like to see him put a little more effort in to his general play. Yesterday with ten men he needed to help out far more. Taking a leaf out of Gabbys book in terms of work ethic wouldn't go a miss.

I think he'll grab around 15-18 goals this season and if Gabby can get a similar return we'll be OK.

Newcastle get rid of some of there best players, don't just get on with it actually improve.

Too many excuses at B6 and a lack of decision making when decisive action is required.

It's been said plenty of times, Bent has made a fantastic career out of being just a goalscorer and being in the right place at the right time, he thrives on service.. he doesn't create - he finishes. He is no rooney, gabby, suarez etc when it comes to hard work and overall play will people realise this.

I think he's been poor so far. I think one of the reasons he looks so poor is because gabby is playing so well. Gabby is getting the same service but through ridiculous hard work and individual skill he is causing defenders big problems and creating chances for himself.

Bent has missed a couple of sitters but for me i'm more disappointed in his all round play. I don't blame the service for that.

I don't really see how Gabby playing well has got anything to do with Bent allegedly playing poorly.

Fact is, Bent's not getting anywhere near the service he was getting last season. People keep on banging on about those two missed sitters, but most of the other chances he's converted. Take Saturday for example. Two chances - one goal. Same with the Wigan game. I don't recall him getting any big chances there besides his goal.

Because gabby has shown that a lack of service or even playing out of position doesn't stop him from performing and causing the opposition problems.

When the other strike partner is performing well you can't just blame the team for underperforming.

I don't really see how Gabby playing well has got anything to do with Bent allegedly playing poorly.

Fact is, Bent's not getting anywhere near the service he was getting last season. People keep on banging on about those two missed sitters, but most of the other chances he's converted. Take Saturday for example. Two chances - one goal. Same with the Wigan game. I don't recall him getting any big chances there besides his goal.

He missed a sitter in that game too. After surprisingly making room for himself to be one on one with the keeper. People say that Al Habsi made a great save, but I think it was poor finishing imo. Hit it weakly straight at the keeper.

It's been said plenty of times, Bent has made a fantastic career out of being just a goalscorer and being in the right place at the right time, he thrives on service.. he doesn't create - he finishes. He is no rooney, gabby, suarez etc when it comes to hard work and overall play will people realise this.

And that's probably why he failed at spurs and why no big team will want him even though he scores goals for fun.

And the service might be different from last year but are our players worse than the ones he played with at charlton and sunderland?

It's not only the players that make the difference.. it's the manager, setting up the team playing to Bent's strength/style.. Bent is already proven in the PL and can easily reach double figures in terms of goals should he have the right service/chances put in for him.

Bent is also a regular for England.. so whilst he "failed" at Spurs I somehow doubt he'll be shedding tears about it.

Because gabby has shown that a lack of service or even playing out of position doesn't stop him from performing and causing the opposition problems.

When the other strike partner is performing well you can't just blame the team for underperforming.

That doesn't really make sense. Just because Gabby's playing well doesn't mean our midfield is.

He missed a sitter in that game too. After surprisingly making room for himself to be one on one with the keeper. People say that Al Habsi made a great save, but I think it was poor finishing imo. Hit it weakly straight at the keeper.

Oh yeah, I remember. It was a good save. But still, two chances, one goal.

I accept the principle of your point. However, they are two very different players.

Gabby has been doing well because of a number of factors:

- he works really hard to iron out weaknesses in his game

- he seems to be working really hard on the pitch

- he has the pace to run at players and worry them

Bent is very different. He is the ultimate "fox in the box". He is hard working but he does his hard work in around the penalty area. To get the best of out of DB, IMO, the team needs to be set up around him and to play to his strengths. We need to be getting the ball into his feet inside the box and we need players to be joining him late and creating space by pulling the defenders away from him. The big gap for us at the minute is an effective no. 10 and a playmaker that can spot these runs. It would also help if our wide right offering - whether it were to be Marc or the Zog - could get their act together.

It's not only the players that make the difference.. it's the manager, setting up the team playing to Bent's strength/style.. Bent is already proven in the PL and can easily reach double figures in terms of goals should he have the right service/chances put in for him.

Bent is also a regular for England.. so whilst he "failed" at Spurs I somehow doubt he'll be shedding tears about it.

Exacly, the Sunderland team he was in wasn't full of creative players but they created chances for him and he scored lots of goals. Mcleish has been far too negative and to be honest I don't see it changing.

what id give to see him fire a salvo past sunderland at the stadium of light to stick it not only up the sunderland fans but also fistface

cant see it happening unfortunately not playing the football we do what little chances bent gets he needs to convert

He'll be off in January.

not a chance, he'll be here for the long haul

Pretty sure he would jump at the chance of leaving for somewhere else in January

Based on what exactly? If it was a top club then yeah, I could possibly see that but not just any club.

Â