Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

This thread is turning into a bizarre conversation, for me Bent is what we have brought him in for, to score goals. He would be the player that out of all the players, that I would be gutted if he left and I actually dont say that about many of our players at the moment.

I can't believe it. Sorry mate a goal every 2 games is not good enough for us. Get out the team. We want someone to hold the ball up and run in to the channels when warnock plays aimless balls in to the corner.

I can't believe it. Sorry mate a goal every 2 games is not good enough for us. Get out the team. We want someone to hold the ball up and run in to the channels when warnock plays aimless balls in to the corner.

Amen to that. Its not like we've been crying out for 13 years or something for a natural goalscorer.

You see I see it differently.

So far this season 71% of the games Darren Bent has played - he hasnt scored. That means 71% of the games he hasnt done what he is paid to do or in other words what he is in the team for.

Now, if Richard Dunne doesnt defend properly 71% of the time, we will criticise him, and rightly so

If Alex Mcliesh gets his tactics wrong 71% of the time, we will criticise him, and rightly so.

Darren Bent is not immune tio criticism.

Its not about getting on his back, its about being consistent with all players imo.

Lets not beat around the bush, his goal ratio atm must improve because come the end of the season, 12, wont be anywhere near good enough for me.

FWIW, Im sure his ratio will improve, and there could be a host of reasons for why its not that great atm. That doesnt mean we have to avoid the issue

scored 2 goals from the 5 chances he has had in the prem this season as far as i can remember, not a bad ratio at all, need to get him more chances though

NB: the only real chances i have come across are 2x newcastle (missed) his 2 goals and apparently there was 1 vs everton but i do not remember as i was p1ssed

apologies if i have missed any out (the wolves chance was a half chance at absolute most as far as i remember)

This argument is crazy. We've been crying out for an out and out goalscorer for decades, we finally get one and people actually want/expect him to contribute more. Bent's goals this season could be the difference between bottom half and top half of the table, if Gabby and Bent together can get 30 goals then thats a great contribution form them, and better than any partnership in a long time.

If MON had signed Bent, or a similar player then we'd probably have achieved Champs League in one of the seasons we finished 6th.

Football is all about goals, saving them at one end and scoring them at the other end. With Given in goal and Bent up front we have less to worry about than we have for a very long time IMO.

people actually want/expect him to contribute more.

If he scored most games, I would agree it would be crazy to want more.

But he doesn't!

60% of the league games Darren Bent has played in since he signed, he hasnt scored!

13 games out of 22 - no goals - Of course he aint superman, you cant score every match!! But hes got to offer something in those games imo, and some believe, for whatever reason he doesnt, or at least, doesnt offer enough.

If it was 5 out of 22, Id let him off. But its not. Its more likely that he wont score than he will.

No ones picking on him, no ones having a go. With all players, we praise the positives, and look for ways they could improve.

Darren Bent should be no different!

Am I the only one who think his link up play isnt actually that bad?

Okay he's not Rooney, but he's certainly not terrible.

Class player, he wont score every game because we dont have the players around him to create clear cut chances every game.

I think the guy is class myself.

people actually want/expect him to contribute more.

If he scored most games, I would agree it would be crazy to want more.

But he doesn't!

60% of the league games Darren Bent has played in since he signed, he hasnt scored!

13 games out of 22 - no goals - Of course he aint superman, you cant score every match!! But hes got to offer something in those games imo, and some believe, for whatever reason he doesnt, or at least, doesnt offer enough.

If it was 5 out of 22, Id let him off. But its not. Its more likely that he wont score than he will.

No ones picking on him, no ones having a go. With all players, we praise the positives, and look for ways they could improve.

Darren Bent should be no different!

I understand your point, and nobody is saying Bent is perfect, but the only thing he needs to do is to score regularly. Like all strikers it's when they stop scoring that you need to worry, and if that happens I'm certain that like all strikers he'll play deeper to try and get the ball. At the moment though it's not necessary. In my opinion though if you ask Bent to do more than score he'll simply get in the way of others, and then won't be where he's needed when the ball arrives in the box. His game is all about goals and not a lot else. It always has been and always will be.

There isn't a striker in the world that scores every game, and certainly not at Premier League level.

I'd rather have bent with 20 goals and zero assists than i would have him adapt his game to chase lost causes.

A few posts up it was 71%.

That's quite a quick improvement already. If he keeps that up he will be at 50% in no time!

Id re-read mate :winkold:

he'll simply get in the way of others, and then won't be where he's needed when the ball arrives in the box.

I think thats a fair point.

The problem is, and this is not down to Mcliesh imo as it has been like this for as long as I can remember - There are always games with Villa, where the ball will not arrive in the box.

If he played for Man Utd, Ive no doubt, hed score nearly every game,

Now thats by no means Darren Bent's fault and of course we cannot forsee which games he wont get chances, but the whole team needs to find a balance between defence and attack and I don't think Darren Bent adapting his game a little will harm that - especially if Gabby continues scoring as well.

His hold up and link play isn't that bad to be fair. i think some people on here are making him out to be a clueless numpty. he has a brain and links up fine imho.

He's not a Heskey (but who is) and i'd rather have Bent as my main striker (who is a worse link player than Heskey) than Heskey (who is simply not a goal scorer).

People have short memories of the back end of last season where wihtout Bent it could have been a toitally different story (joint top goal scorer and onnly half a season played).

It looks and fels as if he has been playing with this injury for the most part of this season and i susepct that is the reason he hasn't been on his usual goalscoring from.

He's the best goals scorer we have had since Yorke. I'm glad he's here and i'd rather he score 20 goals this season than get 20 assists. He'll never do both. Gabby is on fire and if we can also get Bent firing then we'll win more than we lose.

Am I the only one who think his link up play isnt actually that bad?

Okay he's not Rooney, but he's certainly not terrible.

Class player, he wont score every game because we dont have the players around him to create clear cut chances every game.

I think the guy is class myself.

Yes, I agree.

Think people are missing the point a bit.... no ones questioning his goalscoring ability

I see 3 different opinions here

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer but doesnt offer anything else and should given his price tag! - Im in this camp

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer and does offer something else! Fair enough, other than the assist to Gabby v Blackpool, you have seen something I havent, and I hope your right and Im wrong.

Darren Bent is a good goalscorer, and I dont care if he offers anything else or not! This opinion I cant get my head round? If we put that in to the season, people are happy for Darren Bent to offer nothing in 4 of 6 games (ie not score), because hes offered something in 2 of 6 games (ie scored). Cant understand that tbh, but I would be able to if he scored in the majority of games e.g. 4 or 5 games out of 6. Unfortunately, he doesnt and never has/will.

Â