Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

McLeish needs to find a system and a first eleven that are more adept at finding space in the final third, and so far he is struggling. But no more or no less than the previous two managers - and anyone that thinks differently has a very cosy revisionist view of history.

And anyone that thinks that McLiesh has a scooby about how to set up a front 6 is equally misguided IMO having watched the first 5 games.

I couldn't say with any great confidence that he will, and nor am I suggesting that McLeish is the right man for the job now any more than he was in the summer. But the recent performances at VP against Wolves and Newcastle are ones that we have seen so many times over the last five or six years that those stating the lack of creativity or service to the forwards is a new problem are simply wrong. And it's worth pointing out that both O'Neill and Houllier had greater resources at their disposal to rectify it. In other words, this doesn't have to be another stick to beat McLeish with.

Its the story of our lives...We purchase a top quality goal scorer and then the manager that knows how to use him, is forced to retire through injury..

Let's get something straight as so many of our short-sighted, narrow-minded, agenda-packing 'supporters' are always so keen to contextualise the bad form of one player as being symptomatic of something else (chiefly, McLeish's appointment as manager). Darren Bent is exactly the same player this season as he was last season, and many more prior to that.

Houllier was no better at using him than McLeish, Steve Bruce, Martin Jol or Alan Curbishley (only Redknapp has ever seriously misused the player by way of his public admonishing). Contrary to popular belief, Bent doens't put away nine out of ten chances - he has always missed as many as he's scored. His goal-scoring form tends to come in fits and starts and when he's on fire, he's really on fire. Anyone who actually goes to the games will recall his performances last season against Fulham (h), Blackpool (a), Bolton (a), Wolves (h), Newcastle (h), Wigan (h) to name but a few that were pretty much identical to his performances so far this season, including Saturday's. His injury is no doubt not helping matters, but he missed similar chances or got the ball stuck under his feet or got his first touch wrong in just the same manner last term as we have seen on occasion this season. He was just as isolated and starved of chances when Houllier was deploying him up front with other other players (especially Young and Agbonlahor) out of position and numerous games went by without any kind of service.

His current loss of form will be temporary and is no more down to McLeish than his impressive run of goals was down to McAllister during the final weeks of last season.

Could we be more creative? Absolutely. Could service to him be improved? Unquestionably. Would he still rather have Ashley Young in the team than Charles N'Zogbia? Of course.

But these are all problems that would've needed addressing this season with the personnel we have regardless of the manager. McLeish needs to find a system and a first eleven that are more adept at finding space in the final third, and so far he is struggling. But no more or no less than the previous two managers - and anyone that thinks differently has a very cosy revisionist view of history.

Good Post - Especially the last paragraph :thumb:

England striker Bent is suffering with a groin problem, and McLeish said: “He is vital to any ambitions we have, and we have to get him right. There is potentially a great partnership between Bent and Gabby Agbonlahor.

so if he were to be sold we would have NO ambitions what so ever

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/272491/

I wouldnt put anything past the board after some of the mind boggling decisions they have made in the past 6 months

Bear in mind this is the same people who cancelled an interview with McClaren because they feared a fans backlash then went for an ex bluenose manager instead in McLeish were they expecting anything different?

Were a selling club pure and simple and a player such as Darren Bent is too good for a side fighting for midtable every season he will want out eventually for the good of his england career and the old addage that "you cant keep an unhappy player" will rear its ugly head again.

Do people really believe that Bent is going to be sold!?!?

well if he says he wants out due to lack of ambition and shit football ruining his england chances then yes, he will be sold.

He's getting chances to be fair, he's just out of form. Could of had 2 easy goals on Saturday, both the lob and tap in from 6 yards.

Still dont see how the shit football arguement is still going? Cant think of 2 goal so far this season that has come from a long ball?

He's out of form, playing shit and cant his a barn door with a banjo. Thats his fault and no-one elses*.

*I understand he has been carrying a knock so i'll give him the benefit.

well if he says he wants out due to lack of ambition and shit football ruining his england chances then yes, he will be sold.

He's getting chances to be fair, he's just out of form. could have had 2 easy goals on Saturday, both the lob and tap in from 6 yards.

Still dont see how the shit football arguement is still going? Cant think of 2 goal so far this season that has come from a long ball?

He's out of form, playing shit and cant his a barn door with a banjo. Thats his fault and no-one elses*.

Unfortunately, 'carrying a injury' still equates to 'had enough' or 'wants out' for some people, no matter how plain you make it!

You can't win (bit like us atm really).

Plus I don't think there is a team out there at the mo that is going to match our valuation of Bent? Who's going to want him and pays big money for players? Manure wouldn't want him, Mancs wouldn't, Chelsea wouldn't, Arsenal wouldn't, Spurs can't see 'Arry wanting him back, Plop maybe? Blunderland won't go back there, Evernot, Bolton, Wolves, Stoke, Boggies, Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Newcastle, can't afford him, QPR, Swansea and Norwich Benty just wouldn't go there.

So out of the 19 other teams only the Plop seem like a likely destination and considering they have spent nearly 60M on 2 strikers will they want to spend another 20M? Not very likely IMO!

To me it looks like we are 'stuck' with Benty for a couple of years yet!

He's getting chances to be fair, he's just out of form. could have had 2 easy goals on Saturday, both the lob and tap in from 6 yards.

Unfortunately, 'carrying a injury' still equates to 'had enough' or 'wants out' for some people, no matter how plain you make it!

You can't win (bit like us atm really).

I agree, far too many conspiracy theorist' on this board always searching for hidden meanings.

He's carrying a knock, out of form and playing poor. Nothing else. We do not play long ball that is negative and doesnt create chances.

Bent is getting chances, he's just couldnt finish his breakfast at the moment let alone a tap in from 6 yards.

Does my head in when people say they wouldnt blame Bent for going (not saying he is Wiggy :D ).

Imo, he hasnt given this club anywhere near enough to warrant that kind of support.

Gareth Barry earned it

Ashley Young earned it

Darren Bent - do me a favour. Not been here 5 mins.

Im with you Wiggy in that Darren Bents not scoring goals because of one person - Darren Bent!

Bear in mind this is the same people who cancelled an interview with McClaren because they feared a fans backlash then went for an ex bluenose manager instead in McLeish were they expecting anything different?

Wrong.

That was not the reason it was cancelled.

The latter part of your paragraph is evidence enough of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a Holte End goal for the Truth!! :D

Great finish and also a great finish for the disallowed chip. Hopefully he gets into his stride now but still looks unfit to me.

Either way, great to see him score today.

Yet he touched the ball about 5 times all game. Not exactly quality service. He's out of form tbh.

Not a surprise. 2 in 2 games I'd say he is back from injury (hopefully).

Yeah his injury had played a part, hopefully he will get more involved in games when 100% fit.

Yet he touched the ball about 5 times all game. Not exactly quality service. He's out of form tbh.

Not a surprise. 2 in 2 games I'd say he is back from injury (hopefully).

Yeah his injury had played a part, hopefully he will get more involved in games when 100% fit.

Thats the point. One quality pass and he scores.....he's done what he's paid to do. His form is partially due to the groin injury, but equally down to the poor quality of the service.

Our problem is convincing our own supply line to put the ball at his feet instead of trying that wee bit too hard to bang in their own 'goal of the season'.

this belief of he only needs one quality ball to score is utter nonsence

So far hes scoring 1 every 5 or 6 chances (many clear cut).

Lets get out of the thought hes a new fan favourite, and many want his babies - Hes a limited player. One of our more limited players imo.

Theres no doubt hes a great goalscorer, but atm I still stand by my doubts from last season, in that, because we are a team who consistently (not just this season) fail to create a hatful of chances, then D.Bent is always going to be wasted in half the games, because he offers very little else than being in the right place.

Now, some have a go at the lack of creativity. I choose to soulder most of the blame with Darren Bent. Why? Because he cost 20m quid, and for that money, I want him to be able to create something from nothing.

Some might say thats harsh, but atm, Gabby is proving otherwise

Â