Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I think there were much better choices who could have scored at a similar rate and at the same time contributed far more all round and been considerably cheaper.
True, but they would have cost a lot lot more.

But what do you think of someone like Petric? You saw him play against Villa a couple of seasons ago and he's real quality. But at HSV he gets rotated and in the Bundesliga they only play 34 games. He was talking of leaving all last year. At a glance it looks like he averages about 10 goals per season, but his actual stike rate is very good, he just plays far less than Bent. It's even true of Pavlyuchenko. Bent and Pavs goal per minute rate was almost identical last season (when you take only Bents time at Villa, as if you include his 20 games for Sunderland, Pavs was far better). Yet Pav does far more in terms of creating, holding the ball up and linking up the play. Also he doesn't need chances created for him as he can score from anywhere. He'd have cost less than half what you paid for Bent.

I'm not quite sure where all this criticism is coming from - Bent signed for us knowing that we had Young and Downing as a supply line. Now Bent has never been anything but a poacher, but the fact we have removed a quality supply line means he simply has no service to thrive on. Bent is a proven, excellent goal scorer - he just needs feeding.

Pav is such a flaky footballer though. Some games it seems like he's barely on the pitch.

The truth is we signed Bent at the wrong time.

In the MON team of 2009 when we were playing 4-4-2 and Young and Milner were the wide players and whipping crosses in, he'd have scored a hatful, Im amazed MON never went for him as I reckon we could've got 4th in 09-10 with a little more firepower.

Easy to say it now but given Downing was a) injured until Xmas and B) fecked off when the going got tough, we shouldn't have signed him and should've put that 12m plus a little more to match Sunderland's bid at the time.

I'm not quite sure where all this criticism is coming from - Bent signed for us knowing that we had Young and Downing as a supply line. Now Bent has never been anything but a poacher, but the fact we have removed a quality supply line means he simply has no service to thrive on. Bent is a proven, excellent goal scorer - he just needs feeding.

He missed 2 sitters today, both created by Gabby

Pav is such a flaky footballer though. Some games it seems like he's barely on the pitch.

The truth is we signed Bent at the wrong time.

In the MON team of 2009 when we were playing 4-4-2 and Young and Milner were the wide players and whipping crosses in, he'd have scored a hatful, Im amazed MON never went for him as I reckon we could've got 4th in 09-10 with a little more firepower.

Easy to say it now but given Downing was a) injured until Xmas and B) fecked off when the going got tough, we shouldn't have signed him and should've put that 12m plus a little more to match Sunderland's bid at the time.

This is the exact reason we don't rate him. Pav is probably the most unpopular player in our squad and the one our fans would most like to get rid of. But the exact same thing could be said of Bent, only he's even more anonymous than Pav and needs to have chances put on a plate for him. I don't get why our fans wont put up with such shit and yours are happy to. The other day I read someone post that Bent is the best striker you've had since Dwight Yorke and it really shocked me. I think in the striking department Villa fans have been seriously starved in recent years and it's made you overly generous in your opinions of someone as average as Bent. It's a bit like Spurs fans with the DM role and Palacios. We hadn't had a decent ball winner in years, so when he came into our midfield, the fans adored him for his tenacity etc. It took about 2 years for us to finally click that he's actually pretty average (most blame this on the death of his brother, but in reallity he was never that good) and the only reason we thought he was good was because our previous players in that role were Michael Brown, Steffen Freund and Zokora.

Not long back from the game. Its becoming a habit now Bent missing sitters. That wouldn't be so much of an issue but his all round game/work rate is crap so if he isn't scoring he is doing **** all else.

Having said the above he has it in him to go on a run of scoring for fun. I just hope he goes on one soon.

This is the exact reason we don't rate him. Pav is probably the most unpopular player in our squad and the one our fans would most like to get rid of. But the exact same thing could be said of Bent, only he's even more anonymous than Pav and needs to have chances put on a plate for him. I don't get why our fans wont put up with such shit and yours are happy to. The other day I read someone post that Bent is the best striker you've had since Dwight Yorke and it really shocked me. I think in the striking department Villa fans have been seriously starved in recent years and it's made you overly generous in your opinions of someone as average as Bent. It's a bit like Spurs fans with the DM role and Palacios. We hadn't had a decent ball winner in years, so when he came into our midfield, the fans adored him for his tenacity etc. It took about 2 years for us to finally click that he's actually pretty average (most blame this on the death of his brother, but in reallity he was never that good) and the only reason we thought he was good was because our previous players in that role were Michael Brown, Steffen Freund and Zokora.

Bitter Spurs fan?

Bent is a great striker. He is just having a bad run at the minute. But his goal scoring record over the last four or five years in the PL is up their with anybody's for comparison, including any of Spurs current strike force. And he has achieved this playing in significantly poorer teams than Rooney and Drogba - the two players who are up there with him.

He does work hard, but he works hard in and around the box. This has always been his game so it should be no great shock. The challenge is for us to make that hard work count by getting the ball into his feet in and around the box.

He missed a chance today - or should I say had a chance well saved? - but his movement away from the defenders to create that chance was excellent.

We need a no. 10 than can work of Bent (and not Heskey -possibly Gardner or Ireland) if we are going to get the most out of him IMO.

Neither was a "sitter" to be fair. But I feel that his misses do get magnified due to the shortage of service he receives.

Neither was a "sitter" to be fair. But I feel that his misses do get magnified due to the shortage of service he receives.

1 on 1 with the keeper a yard out is not a sitter?

it was a bad miss for someone with bents goal scoring record. he did everything else right in that move - the layoff and run, the first touch, got a good connection on the ball. just too close to the keeper. i never get why so many players try and place it along the floor in those situations. just smash it high, the keepers never going to get it as hes on the floor.

he looks in very poor form at the moment, missing too many good chances. saying that hes not the only one, we have a lot of players not looking great. when so many look poor, you have to start looking at the manager and coaching.

That one on one was definatrely a sitter, and i`m sure he knows it. Nice build up there though, although I must say that Sunderlands defending was pretty sub standard for a prem team. Should havwe scored there, we should have won.

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm keeping the faith. We know he has goals in him.

You won't get too many arguments there.

He has been shite of late but you know he is also capable of going on a run of scoring for fun.

I accepted when we signed him that if he wasn't scoring he wouldn't be bringing much else to the party.

Its a shame he has missed so many sitters though because he could be sitting on 6 or 7 goals and we could possibly have a few more points.

has been shite this season. when his finishing is off like it has been, he is next to useless as he offers nothing else.

needs to find his shooting boots and fast. yes i feel sorry for him losing the quality supply line he thought he was going to playing with, but he's doing his england chances no good playing like this

Â