Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Personally I think Gabby playing in his current role which seems a combination of left winger and striker is best suited to him. Because of this new way of playing Gabby I beleive Bent can and will score goals as the main striker. If they were both playing centrally then I think they would get in each others way. But because Gabby is playing deeper and cuttting i from the left, this allows Bent to do what he does best which is sit on the shoulder of the last defender looking to break the offside trap and also get in the box and on the end of crosses.

Also I think people are not acknowleging the role Bent has played in Gabby's great start to the season. Bent's movement and goal threat keep defenders in two minds as he tends to drift in between the two centre halves before making his run, and this gives Gabby that little bit more time on the ball as the defenders aren't sure who is best placed to pick him up. And because Gabby starts out from the left wing the RCH has to leave Gabby and hold his position meaning Gabby has more space. If the opponents use the RFB to pick Gabby up then that means more space for the central midfielder on the left side of the diamond, So with this we can easily drag opposing defenders out of position. Then with Bannons vision and Ireland intelligent runs off the ball (when he's playing well) potentailly we will have the creativity in the centre of the park to exploit the space.

Last thing about Bent is that when it comes to holding up the ball he is like Gabby, he is strong enough to sheild the ball and good enough in the air to win a well place ball, but half the time his first or second touch will let him down. So while niether are proper target men both are decent when holding up the ball, and remember Bent is no slouch the guys got pace too, but I think this groin problem is hampering his running. Having had groin problems before I know from experience that running at full speed is a sure fire way to make the problem worse.

I am genuinely encouraged by Bent and Gabby so far this season, Bent has got into lot of got positions to score and has picked up a couple of league goals even though he's not fully fit, and Gabby looks confident again and has really improved his dribbling. The technical improvments Gabby has made over the last 3 or 4 season have been massive and if he keeps working on his touch I am sure he has more improvements to make.

With Bent and Gabby up front and the trio of Given, Dunne and Collins we have the basis of a strong side. I hope Warnock can keep improving and that Hutton gets back to his best because for this Diamond formation to work we need those to to provide width and crosses into the box. BTW I am hoping the diamond works as the only way our midfield can really compete is with plenty of bodies in there! Technically Our midfield is very good, but we lack athleticism and strength, and in the premier league that is a real problem. Also N'Zogbia has potential at the head of the diamond so if Ireland doesn't work out there or gets injured we have plenty of cover.

McLeish deserves a lot of credit for Gabby's form as while Houllier tried Gabby out on the left, Gabby had to hold his position out on the flank rather than make runs inside as A.Young was occupying the hole and we had Downing left wing. Throw in the fact we played with a much higher line (thus squeezing the space) and was completely lacking a left back that was compotent going forward we seemed restricted to using Gabby more as a target for high balls more than anything else, as he simply lacked the space to fully utilize his pace (and gabby was carrying a few extra pounds last season). What Mcleish has done is recognise the player Gabby could and should be and played him to his strengths.

We all knew when we signed DB that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing a fat lot else. Holding the ball up/coming deep to get involved/working the flanks just isn't his game. Thankfully he has bagged a few goals since he arrived and even though he only has a couple of goals this season he could easily have 2 or 3 more and the one Petrov laid on a plate for him and the great save from Al Habsi instantly spring to mind.

I'm confident he'll bag 15-20 goals this season.

Some seem to question his motivation to play for us. I don't think that is an issue but if it is I'd **** him off asap. Despite our fall from relative grace over the last 18 months he would get nothing more than a sideways move as I wouldn't see any of the top 6 clubs coming in for him. Thankfully I don't think motivation is an issue.

I don't think it is either, we just need to get his confidence and fitness at prime (at Gabby's level) and we've got a very potent strike force, imagine a full force Gabby and Bent together... doesn't help our two wingers are in the worst form of their careers quite possibly, no wonder we're looking a little light up front this season. When we get them firing, then we'll start stringing wins together. IMO.

I didn't realise Bent was untouchable and you weren't allowed a negative opinion about any part of his game. I think anyone that has said his link up play and hold up play could improve still thinks his movement and goals add a lot to the team. It's not moaning to state that a player could be even better by improving certain aspects of his game. He can do the harder things like finish and get into good positions, imagine how good he could be if he did some of the more simple things better. Having said that he must have worked on these throughout his career and we'd find it hard to find anyone better how he is now. I just think it is ok to state that he would be even better if he contributed to the game on top of his goals.

Agreed.

There does seem to be an attitude on here where its unacceptable to point out weaknesses in a fans favourite.

Richard Dunne (never going to be a fan favourite), but has been arguably the best defender in the league so far never mind arguably our best player.

If I went in the Richard Dunne thread, acknowledged his strength in defending but also pointed out his weaknesses, no one would bat an eyelid.

On the arguement regarding motivation. I agree, its not true, but if it was, i genuinely can't get my head round the 'I feel sorry for him, understand his lack of motivation etc' comments. The only thing I would understand (if true of course) is that Darren Bent is selfish and someone we could do without. But like, I say, I dont believe it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted this in the Match forum...does anyone else notice he does this?

For the love of GOD, can someone tell Bent not to leap 5 seconds too early every time there is a long ball played!?!?!?!?! Every time he jumps right when the ball is hoofed and has nearly landed by the time the ball reaches him, hence losing 99% of long ball 50/50s. Why doesn't someone tell him "dude wait a couple seconds before leaping, thanks"???

For the love of GOD, can someone tell Bent not to leap 5 seconds too early every time there is a long ball played!?!?!?!?! Every time he jumps right when the ball is hoofed and has nearly landed by the time the ball reaches him, hence losing 99% of long ball 50/50s. Why doesn't someone tell him "dude wait a couple seconds before leaping, thanks"??

its actually a good ploy as if his distraction means the ball goes over defenders head he has a running headstart on him. Never works though :P

i assume from that comment you have never been to Ireland ;)

Is Keane not respected in ROI :?: What is the general opinion on him :?: ROI are my team, love their fans.

he is respected but not loved. its really strange considering all his goals but would say he is behind Given, Dunne and maybe Duff in the popularity stakes

Thats very strange, I too naively thought Keane was a god like figure in Ireland because of his 51 goals. Maybe its because he bosses people about too much on the pitch, always pointing etc

I noticed on the ROI fan page on facebook they did not want him in the team anymore, was shocked. I also think it is a bit ungrateful after all he has done for the country.

To be fair to him I don't mind him mistiming his jumps I just wish I didn't have to see it 30 times a game, jumping early was the only way he was going to win a header vs olsson and whoever the other one was (tamas?)

I'm not fussed about it not being his strength because I don't want us playing that way!

He maybe here come February but lets face it how do you think he genuinely feel. He came to a club with 2 of the best wide players in the league, scored the goals that took us to mid table safety having flirted with relegation and quickly became the new holte end hero.

Then he sees his supply line sold along with the nucleus of the squad and then has to put up with watching the ball fly over his head and the crap we are serving up this season.

I should imagine he's thoroughly pissed off and extremely worried that playing in this villa side will see his dream of playing in the euros disappear.

And on top of this he has to go back to Sunderland who I think will take great pleasure in reminding him of what a shambles of a club we are at the moment

Â