Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He'll be off in January.

No he won't, first of all he would cost upwards of 30 million and if anyone offered that they'd be stupid and I'd personally bite their hand off. Secondly who is going to buy him?

He wouldn't cost upwards of 30 mill. I could see Randy biting someone's hand off if they came in with 20 mill in January and less in the summer.

The one saving grace is that I couldn't see who would come in for him. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs would not want him. He would not entertain going to Newcastle given the shit he had up there previously. Perhaps Liverpool but I doubt it and the rest couldn't afford him even at 15 - 20mill.

One things for sure if a Liverpool or one of the big boys did come in for him he'd want out and we all know at Aston Villa when a player wants out they go.

He'll be off in January.

No he won't, first of all he would cost upwards of 30 million and if anyone offered that they'd be stupid and I'd personally bite their hand off. Secondly who is going to buy him?

He wouldn't cost upwards of 30 mill. I could see Randy biting someone's hand off if they came in with 20 mill in January and less in the summer.

The one saving grace is that I couldn't see who would come in for him. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs would not want him. He would not entertain going to Newcastle given the shit he had up there previously. Perhaps Liverpool but I doubt it and the rest couldn't afford him even at 15 - 20mill.

One things for sure if a Liverpool or one of the big boys did come in for him he'd want out and we all know at Aston Villa when a player wants out they go.

We wouldn't sell Bent if someone came in with a £20m bid.

Bent is a big disappointment for me so far this season. He's missed a few sitters. If he had scored the chance that was spread with a nice layer of butter and jam and handed to him on a best china plate yesterday, we might not have ended up with a defeat. He needs to start converting more chances to goals or he will become a liability. He can't say he's not getting the service. He's not doing enough with it.

Bent is a big disappointment for me so far this season. He's missed a few sitters. If he had scored the chance that was spread with a nice layer of butter and jam and handed to him on a best china plate yesterday, we might not have ended up with a defeat. He needs to start converting more chances to goals or he will become a liability. He can't say he's not getting the service. He's not doing enough with it.
3 goals in 9 is hardly a bad return. Maybe for him, but that just shows how good he is at scoring goals and how much we expect of him. Don't forget he's been injured for some of our games as well.

Service is definitely one of the problems. We're not creating as much as we were last season. The thing about Bent is that he does miss a few, but he gets into so many positions that he will more often than not bury one or two of them. He scores so many goals because he gets into so many good positions.

The 18 - 24 mill we paid for Bent was his peak price. I'm not sure what the add ons involved were but I'd imagine given our precarious position when we signed him one of them would have been us staying up and another based on England Caps and then others like qualifying for European competition. Therefore I'd say we've forked out around 21 mill for him. I'd bet my house on him not ever being sold for more than that in the future. In January, given the over inflated prices, we may get the money we paid for him back. Leave it to the summer when he'll be 28 and half I wouldn't expect we'd get any more than around 18mill for him.

As I said previously though I don't see it being an issue as none of the top clubs will be interested in him. The only one with a tiny possibility is Liverpool and if they did he'd want out quicker than Downing.

We still aren't creating as much as we did before for him.. it's hardly surprising his stats last season were far better, not to mention we actually played decent football last season compared to the rubbish on display now.. yes he may miss some chances but that's how Bent is.. if you only give him one chance and expect him to put it away all the time then sadly you are mistaken.

I still maintain my view that if Bent was to walk into the United/City/Maybe Arsenal team he will score goals for fun, no doubt.

we actually played decent football last season compared to the rubbish on display now..
Much of the football we played last season was shambolic, shapeless and woeful. In particular, the defence was a disgrace. True we had some vastly better players in the side then, but please let's not start creating some myth about how great last season was.

i said it last week and I'll say in now.

You play Heskey , and you completly nullify Bent. You only have to see, heskey off pitch, scores one, misses on.

Heskey on pitch, doesnt even get within 30 yrds of the goal.

The problem is, and I dont blame McLeish for it, there is no one else but Heskey until Jenas is fit.

Are you seriously telling me you want Ireland there - the guy is taking the piss out the club !!

we actually played decent football last season compared to the rubbish on display now..
Much of the football we played last season was shambolic, shapeless and woeful. In particular, the defence was a disgrace. True we had some vastly better players in the side then, but please let's not start creating some myth about how great last season was.
For the second half of the season after we had signed Walker on loan and Bent we were playing better more attacking football. Admittedly however we did have better players then. Still, McLeish could be a bit more attacking and he certainly needs to sort out set-piece defending. People blamed Houllier for coming out last season and saying he couldn't do anything about it yet McLeish came out and said he was going to do something about it yet we conceded both of our goals on Saturday to set-pieces.

but please let's not start creating some myth about how great last season was.

Yeah we played it in the air far more for Bent when he had a fantastic goals to game return last season :lol:

Lumping it to Bent like we do now isn't going to get him goals, McLeish is clueless from midfield onwards.. actually even defence is poor like last year, simple set pieces can't be dealt with.

Lumping it to bent compared to putting through balls to him just show the different class of football we had then and now.. you can argue it's the players but i'd take last season's football compared to the rubbish now.

People blamed Houllier for coming out last season and saying he couldn't do anything about it yet McLeish came out and said he was going to do something about it yet we conceded both of our goals on Saturday to set-pieces.

Spot on, I see no improvement.. same old mistakes which makes everything so predictable and boring now.

Its no surprise given that we lost our two most creative players, and arguably our two best players, and not replaced them with anything like the same quality, that the supply line to Bent has dried up somewhat. NZogbia was never a good enough replacement and anyone who thought he was was either deluded or kidding themselves.

Bent just needs to get on with it though. He has missed two sitters this season, along with a great save from Al Habsi, so he could be sitting on 6 goals which would be a very good return.

We all knew when we signed him that if he isn't scoring he isn't doing a fat lot else but I'd still like to see him put a little more effort in to his general play. Yesterday with ten men he needed to help out far more. Taking a leaf out of Gabbys book in terms of work ethic wouldn't go a miss.

I think he'll grab around 15-18 goals this season and if Gabby can get a similar return we'll be OK.

Bent isn't as lazy as people make out. However, his job is to score goals. It's the job of the players around him to create chances. He may have missed a few but given the service or lack thereof I don't think he's done too badly.

Â