Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

surely 50 apps has passed anyway?

we started talking about it at 47 apps and hes playing like 5/6 games since...

who to believe, 2 managers and both football clubs or an anonymous poster who has nothing to back it up with any kind of facts what so ever?

hmmmm

I believe that there is probably some 50 appearances fee. But not 6 million. 25% of the whole fee. Thats ridiculous. Surely stage payments will be based around a mix of appearances, goals, trophies, international caps.

If there is some sort of appearance related fee, surely not playing him, ultimately costs you the same in the reduced fee you will receive as a result of your stance.

I agree in part, but wasn't Bent made captain before Vlaar and Benteke were on board, so his options were limited, both in terms of cpataincy and team selection.

Every manager makes mistakes, fair play to Lambert for recognising it and changing. It shows character,and it was this type of character that helped him have the confidence to drop Givn for Guzan.

To be fair no player should be embarrassed just because he has been dropped for a team mate, no matter how young they are. For instance, are you saying it's embarrassing for the likes of Ireland that Westwood's in the team ahead of them.

Personally on the face it, Lambert chose him to be captain as he was the most senior pro at the club, but when better options turned up, and when Bent failed to impress, he decided a change was needed.

Manager's can't walk on egg shells around players, and certainly can't give in to their egos.

If we were to purchase another international player senior to Vlaar, would Lambert then change the captaincy again?

You've made some excellent points there nonetheless but i still feel there was more to Bent being stripped of the captaincy than just Vlaar arriving unless Bent was told at the outset that he was only going to be an interim captain?

I don't see why it can't still work here. (Whether it'll be given another chance is another question) Goals Bent in the team or no Bent apart from the last two games all season have been fairly difficult to come by so I don't think it's a simple case of him not being good enough. What we've seen over the last two games is the effect of two strikers playing and linking very well off each other. Bent and Benteke have only started once together I believe (Southampton) before they did again Norwich, that game I actually heard Bent was playing well and was very dangerous before he came off injured. We've for a large part of the season played 1 up front with 3 in behind and really after a poor start to the season and plenty of goals conceded, which I think is why he moved quickly away from a 4-4-2 diamond to a 4-2-3-1 system. Then moved on to a 5-3-2, I think a way of allowing us to be a lot tighter at the back but still play two up front and support from wide as well as getting someone to link in behind (Holman). Who's to say Bent can't fit into such a system? In fact, the move to bring him back onto the bench and then start him against Norwich, to me were signs of slowly moving him back into the first team picture (one he didn't fit in previously with given Lambert used just one main striker and that was Benteke).

Maybe he will be sold as soon as January comes about but I am interested within the current system how Bent and Benteke would play together because on paper it has everything you need to be a great partnership.

I still think its utter madness to sell Bent in January due to all the reasons i have stated before.

I just wonder if we are in the bottom 5 with a down turn in results will Bent still be sold?

If he stays, the opportunity for on-pitch time are limited.

In an ideal world it would be good to have him as a supersub but given how tight our finances are I suspect that the transfer fee and wages would be better spent elsewhere on a straight replacement like Finnbogason plus streghtening in a couple of other areas. Overall that would leave us in a stronger positon

I still think its utter madness to sell Bent in January due to all the reasons i have stated before.

I just wonder if we are in the bottom 5 with a down turn in results will Bent still be sold?

No we won't be there - much to your dissapointment, but to answer your question yes he still would be sold regardless of our position.

i like darren bent and want him to stay, hes a top striker, however, as mentioned by villacas, hes not going to get much time now

in reflection, maybe it would of been good for liverpool to of bought bent as they originally wanted, then we could of/hopefully/maybe of bought daniel sturridge

The loan move to Liverpool could still be on. Gets his wages off the books. I think it would be a mistake though.

Or you could say it would help us. He wouldn't be allowed to play against us but may bang in goals to help the bin dipping tramps beat some of our relegation rivals. That's looking at it from an angle that says if Lambert isnt going to use him let Liverpool.

Would not sell or loan to any relegation rival though ie. QPR , that would be foolish. Our board aren't foolish enough to do that surely ?

we sure have missed bents goals

a couple good games from weiman and benteke and people say bent is shit

yet oddly bent has been scoring throughout his career in the top flight so can be relied upon to score

oh for some of bents goals now to dig us out of this lambert sized hole

I think we really need to keep bent, try and get in a couple of wide players or get gabby wide right, get zog wide left, a DM and a DC as a minimum. Now is the time to restore some continuity to the team and get the best out of the senior players not sell them off. If bent gets 5-10 goals before the end of the season it could really make a difference with survival. Continuing the way we have by pushing the senior players away is just not working. For the first time yesterday Benteke showed excactly the same attitude bent has at times when he wasn't getting service. Did anyone notice that?

Â