Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Cracking finish that from DB9 that, not seen it before now! Will do his confidence the world of good.

yeah I agree with you. I think it will too. Although, I think he always has a level of confidence in himself, it's one of the things that makes him good at what he does.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he has lost a little bit of his edge due ( in the main)to the way we have played last season....He'll get back in the groove.

like him or loathe him he does the most difficult thing to do in a football team.

another jimmy greaves for me.

Scored 1 goal, and the rest of the game he was shit.

You've just described 80% of the games Bent has scored in.

That is what you get with DB. If he ain't scoring he pretty much does **** all else.

I do at times feel a little sorry for him though. When he joined we had Downing and Ash laying it on a plate for him. We have nothing like that quality now.

He's needs to be banging them in every other game otherwise he is completely hopeless. At the moment, he's hopeless.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of carrying such a limited player in such a dynamic league.

bent is one of the most prolific strikers in the country and he is far from limited. what is limited is the midfield and the full back areas.

He's needs to be banging them in every other game otherwise he is completely hopeless. At the moment, he's hopeless.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of carrying such a limited player in such a dynamic league.

bent is one of the most prolific strikers in the country and he is far from limited. what is limited is the midfield and the full back areas.

IMO:

Bent is more than capable of performing at a high level in this league.

I don't think we as a club are currently capable of sufficiently investing in a supporting cast to allow him to perform at that level.

If he's not performing at that level, he costs far too much (both in terms of what he directly costs and in terms of the opportunity cost) and is effectively a liability.

I hope and dream that we can convince Liverpool to take him off our hands in January...

(and there's my semi-annual post on Villa...)

So much nonsense being spoken in this thread. Pure, complete and utter guff.

The whole team was poor today and Bent was no worse than anyone else. The way he won his header for the goal showed real commitment.

How many years did we cry out for a goalscorer at this club? Finally we get one of the best in the business and now people say they want him sold? Shocking. People complain about the lack of loyalty from footballers in the modern era. I find the lack of loyalty from the fans much more depressing.

hes got 19 in 43 in the league for us. pretty good considering over half those games were under one of the most negative managers ever.

i dont think his all round game is amazing, but its not as bad as some suggest. when he was really working on it in training when he first got here there was a notable improvement and he got into the england squad.

then last year it regressed (as did everyone under mcleish). now under lambert it looks to be improving again. he was very good leading the line against newcastle and swansea, worked hard, set up chances for his teamates. doesnt sound like he was amazing at southampton but i dont think anyone has come out of that with any credit.

I love db, wanted him at this club for years just not sure we can set ourselves up in such a way to get the best out of him, either because we do not have the players or we cannot actually play the way he needs.

I also think that Lambert could do with 10 or 15m to spend in other areas of the team.

Time will tell

Â