Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He's the greatest of his kind in the world. He is a very unique striker that can score from angles you'd think were impossible. .

The greatest kind of what?? He isn't even a fantastic finisher, he gets the goals from getting in the right position so often, he certainly isn't clinical.

He will score goals but has many limitations which is why he will never play for a top club.

He's the greatest of his kind in the world. He is a very unique striker that can score from angles you'd think were impossible. .

The greatest kind of what?? He isn't even a fantastic finisher, he gets the goals from getting in the right position so often, he certainly isn't clinical.

He will score goals but has many limitations which is why he will never play for a top club.

Perhaps he was referring to Messi there :lol:

Secondly the reason he is not effective at the moment is because he is not getting service. If you put any other striker currently at the club in Bents position on Saturday, they would not of done any better.

I'd disagree, I think Gabby would have done better, I think Weimann did do better and I think you could make a case for Delfouneso having done more.

In a team that creates lots of chances, where ten men are able to overcome the opposition, Bent is perfect, he's the cherry on top, a luxury that can do the most important thing in the game - but you have to be very good to carry that luxury and get any value out of it.

In our team, we need strikers who can add something to the cake, people with movement, graft, grit and all those other non-goalscoring attributes - we need strikers that can help our midfield and we need strikers that can keep defenders busy. Bent waits. Gabby and Weimann get involved.

With where we are at the moment, I'd be fully in favour of selling Bent, I think we'd still get around £10m for him - politically that would be suicide for Lerner though, Bent is still the poster boy and still seen as the last of the famous, big names that we had. I think he's unsellable. I hope he's not undroppable.

There's some merit in selling Bent. He's a sellable asset at a time where it looks like we need cash to invest and don't have it to hand. And given that Bent is a player who offers nothing without service, and the team is unable to offer that, he's useless. You could sell Bent, pick up a replacement with a bit more to his game and hopefully have some cash spare to invest in other areas of the pitch.

Unfortunately it's unlikely that any player you bought would be as good a goalscorer as Bent, and the impression would immediately be of a rats leaving a sinking ship/a team completely giving up on being anything successful the moment you sold him. And I also think he'd be a harder sell than we might expect - we'd demand a pretty penny and theres not many teams that would pay it. Ones that might might want more of their players than just a goalscorer with nothing else to their game. So we'd probably have to ask a price we might be a little upset about.

The best thing it appears, is to hope and pray that we've got enough money in the pot to buy players that make Bent look good again.

Two good posts.

Bent now has 20 goals in 44 games for us, an average of 1 every 2.2 games, that is better than his career average of 1 goal every 2.33 games

That's a good return, and a welcome (and last year, vital) contribution.

It's impossible to know whether we'd have done better with someone else, someone who would have contributed more to the overall effort. I tend to think we would, but whether we could get such a person is another question.

Actually, the solution is probably to combine Bent's goalscoring with the better aspects of Heskey's play. Who might that be?

I don't think anyone thinks Bent is a bad player but there have been times in Villa's past where we've sold our star player and gone on to bigger and better things, Platt and Andy Gray's sales spring to mind. Sometimes one loss is for the collective good. Money's tight, wages are a problem. If we sold Bent and got in 3 quality players who combined only cost Bent's fee and their combined wages only came to the same level as Bent's would that be a bad thing?

Arsenal away in the FA Cup 4th round. His goal in that game was unbelievable. How he got that in from that angle is incredible.

i'm backing 8pints here.

Nice goal tonight..

If only we'd managed to get him that January we baught Heskey in (werent we joint 2nd 3pts off the top at the time after we beat pompey 1-0 for our 7th away win in a row?). We would of almost certainly finished in the top 4.

Didnt Heskey score on his debut in a 1-0 win against Pompey?

:) The greatest kind of finisher.

I find it difficult to categorise him. he's like the stamp of approval on a good move (Like he was for the third goal tonight), he's the end product. I can't think of anyone else who stays as calm as him throughout a game.

He's not the best technical footballer, far from it. he has to use his whole body to pass I know but he has the most consistent mentality I've ever seen.

That he isn't a great finisher and/or clinical is not true. I'd argue that's all he is, the clinical finish that caps off a move.

Yes, he has missed sitters once or twice in ten years but he is human.

He's playing for a top club currently.

Arsenal away in the FA Cup 4th round. His goal in that game was unbelievable. How he got that in from that angle is incredible.

i'm backing 8pints here.

Thanks Kj.

That goal against Arsenal was the one I immediately thought of.

Tonight showed the differences having a wide man take on and beat his fullback and pulling his cross back onto the forwards. We scored or came close each time we did it.

Now I believe Lambert is not stupid so why don't we play more to DB strengths?

The tippy tappy stuff at times was pointless and we still gave the ball away too often

Nice to see DB9 score a goal late on in a game. I've noticed how often he will score relatively early on and then drift out of games. Hopefully lambert will have him sharp for the full 90.

Nice to see DB9 score a goal late on in a game. I've noticed how often he will score relatively early on and then drift out of games. Hopefully lambert will have him sharp for the full 90.

Considering Bent scored in the 81st minute last night, I think you're onto something :winkold:

Considering Bent scored in the 81st minute last night, I think you're onto something :winkold:

Yeah, like CI says, hopefully Lambert reminds him to keep the intensity up.

Â