Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

looks a different player with a midfield that knows how to play. Fulham were as bad as us last year. Brighton seem to be scoring for fun lately.

Looks a different player playing against Championship journeymen and a donkey of a goalkeeper who chucks into his own net.

• Like 3

He has now found his level as rightly mentioned already.

I wonder if Brighton fans will now be calling for Hyypia's head for playing Bent and losing 2-1?

Hyypia Out!

No doubt.

"Why isn't Hyppia giving Bent the service."

"Why isn't he playing wingers to give Bent the service."

"Why isn't he playing a creative midfielder to give Bent the service."

"Why is Bent playing up front on his own, he needs to play off a target man to score"

"Why is Bent playing with a target man, he needs to be the focal point to score."

"Why are we playing direct football, Bent thrives on quick pacy counter."

" Why are we playing counter, Bent thrives on crosses into the box."

"Why are we crossing balls into the box, Bent thrives on balls to run onto."

"Why are we playing balls to run onto, Bent thrives with the ball to feet."

"Bent needs this, Bent needs that, Hyppia out!"

Bent shagged your missus or something?

Doubt too many of those arguments were actually raised seeing as he scored and forced the keeper into another two good saves to keep him out.

• Like 1

I don't get the big deal. No one thinks bent is a top forward anymore.

My point was always, surely it was worth trying him for a couple of games, when we are struggling to win and were by some margin the worst attacking team in the league.

Would he have solved all our issues? Probably not but I think it was option to try something different.

well not to be too critical he missed 2 gilt edged chances from that highlight video that an "expert" poacher should finish

Oh sweet jesus.

Aguero didn't score all his chances against Southampton and missed a huge one on one! Guess he'll be dropped next week and loses his "expert" tag. (Because anyone being remotely positive about Bent clearly thinks he's still a world class striker)

Talk about scraping the barrel, would have thought there was enough ammo from his time here.

I agree with penguin.

You could pick a miss from any striker (Benteke for example) and it doesn't really prove anything!

Pre-Lambert Bent's scoring record while at Villa was a goal every 182 minutes - so basically a goal every 2 games. 

Even with Lambert's negative approach to games and bad decision making Bent still got more goals per minute (for Villa when Lambert was manager) than both Weimann and Gabby managed.

In fact even when at Fulham his goal per minute ratio was still vastly better than both Weimann and Gabby last season.

No surprise yet again this season his goals per minute ratio this season is vastly superior to both Weimann and Gabby! ;)

(cue joke about Doughnuts to goal ratio!)

Maybe 7 goals scored in 13 league games for Villa suggests something isn't quite right with the attacking decisions made at the club!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

It seems to me that Bent is the type of player you build your team around to get the most out of him. Lambert hasn't done that: He's built his team around Benteke.....

... and I can't fault that, as that is the better option.

As such, Bent is better off elsewhere and - given where he is at in his career - I think he's perfectly suited where he is now.

• Like 1

Should give them more freedom then to ghost in and score!

Can you see what's wrong with this sentence? 'Mo Diame has a higher goals per minute ratio than Nemanja Matic, which proves Mourinho signed the wrong player'. 

Different players have different roles. Your metric is useless for comparing players that don't play the same role in a team. 

looks a different player with a midfield that knows how to play. Fulham were as bad as us last year. Brighton seem to be scoring for fun lately.

Looks a different player playing against Championship journeymen and a donkey of a goalkeeper who chucks into his own net.

its not just the finish its the runs hes making that actually get picked out and he has a chance. Championship level is not too far from the two/three premier league teams who are awful like Burnley. What are the other three premier league teams from last season doing in the championship.. granted theyve lost a few players but it helps Bent score goals when he gets a few chances. He gets 1 chance a game and he misses it and everyone wants to kill him. Strikers dont have a 100% conversion rate. Its normally 30-40%. Problem with Bent was we didnt create 3-4 chances a game for him. 

I know hes not what he used to be.. but the chances Wiemann and Gabby had against Burnley i think he would have put 1 away. Cole would have picked his runs out better too.

I too think he would have done well against Burnley, with Cole linking up play and threading balls through. Can see he's still got the movement and sense of where to be from the highlights but it's all hypothetical and a irrelevance now.

Â