Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He remains for me, in terms of value for money, the worst signing in the clubs history.

There will be those that say his goals kept us up in the season he arrived, but we had a team that included some very good players and with that £18m we'd have had no trouble finding other options that could have done the same trick.

We've still got about another £2.8m to spend before he's gone.

I'm don't think I agree. He was a proven goal scorer in the PL, so I'm not sure who else we could have got, at that time (during a January transfer window), to come in and hit the ground running and score goals from day one.

I doubt there were many viable options out there.

If I was given the option to turn the clock back, go for another one of the options, and see whether they'd have worked out, I wouldn't take that risk. We paid a lot of money for him, but we he did score vital goals and we did stay up.

He's clearly finished now, though, and needs to move on.

His total lack of form does coincide with our lack of quality on the flanks..meaning his service is non existent as he isn't strong enough to deal with a long ball game. Again, Lambert seems reluctant to have a plan b.

I seem to remember him tucking a few away but I also remember there being some stat about him touching the ball less than 5 times in several consecutive games.

I seem to remember him being very isolated which addmitedly was down to the way Eck set us up.

To be fair people are talking like he hasnt been given any chances.

He got a whole season to prove his worth under a different manager/style at Fulham and didnt do it.

He's had a number of sub appearances as well and always looked fat and a yard of the pace.

If anyone has bothered to watch even at reserve level he doesnt stand out this year not in the way Jack does who looks a cut above and busting to get in the team.

Bent is finished for me and has been for some time.

Edited by villaglint

He is the victim of a change in tactics. We used to throw the ball in the box from both wings and the strikers role was to sit in the box and poach goals , he was very good at that. The strikers in the formation we use now have to cover a lot of ground, fitness, speed and power are all attributes that are required, Bent hasn't got any of these.

Good luck to him.

No chance that Bent would score in this league with any player supplying him with crosses. He used to score 20+ for Charlton and Sunderland in the PL, I don't remember them having these great crossers, I remember them playing up on top and being two very direct teams. Like us.

Difference is he was a lot sharper back then, a lot trimmer, and a lot more motivated.

His total lack of form does coincide with our lack of quality on the flanks..meaning his service is non existent as he isn't strong enough to deal with a long ball game. Again, Lambert seems reluctant to have a plan b.

Lack of form coincides with his efforts to try and get off with some else's Mrs..........

Why didn't he score goals under Fulham's 456 managers last year then, did they all play the hoof ball?

Why is a lowly Championship club like Brighton only willing to take him on a month's loan?

If he is this goalscorer some people proclaim him to be then why doesn't another PL manager take him?

Palace play with proper out and out wingers, surely they must have wanted this guy?

Hull play with out and out wingers.

Burnley.

Why didn't he score goals under Fulham's 456 managers last year then, did they all play the hoof ball?

Why is a lowly Championship club like Brighton only willing to take him on a month's loan?

If he is this goalscorer some people proclaim him to be then why doesn't another PL manager take him?

Palace play with proper out and out wingers, surely they must have wanted this guy?

Burnley.

Yes, they did play hoof ball...that's why they went down

Burnley.

Yes, they did play hoof ball...that's why they went down

They went down because they played Hoofball?

1. They never played hoofball.

2. Stoke play hoofball and apparently we did too, yet we never went down. Bolton never did until they started playing 'football' under Coyle, Sam plays hoofball and has never been relegated from the PL.

If i'm honest i'm pretty gutted.  Not that i think bent offers much now but just how it's all played out.  I remember hearing the news that we had a bid accepted, his goal on his debut and how good he looked for the end of that season run in. 

I do think the club have to take some of the blame but Bent is a professional athlete and the responsibility has to be on his shoulders.  

What ever happened has happened and putting blame on people is pointless now.  It's just a massive cock up.  You have to wonder what was being thought at boardroom level that january.  To spend that much on a player and then months later sell our best two creative players and not provide funds to replace them just screams of a club with no vision or plan for what they wanted to achieve.

I don't see the bent signing as a waste of money, i see it as a waste of a good opportunity.

I dont agree about the 2nd season. He was quite poor under McLeish and he got a few penalties which glossed the stats. When Keane came in he showed more movement in 6 games than Bent all season

Think we maybe won 1 game after he went down? We were okay with him and won games.

According to the mail 80% of fans wanted him in the first XI.

I assume that 'survey' was only open to Blues fans and people with mental health issues?

I think the championship is too fast and physical for him. He might still do a job in the MLS or the Aussie league, but I'd be surprised if does well at Brighton.

• Like 1

Pretty sure we'd have got rid of him in the summer had it not been for Kozak & Benteke injuries. The fact that we're willing to let him go now, with Kozak still injured and Benteke working his way back to full fitness shows just how little impact Bent makes on a football pitch these days. Unless he can regain some sharpness, he really is finished at any decent level of football, because he doesn't have anything else to his game which could allow him to adapt to a different role in the team (in the way that players like Dwight Yorke did in the latter stages of their career). 

let's hope Callum Robinson takes the chance to step up.

Â