• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Makoun 67)
    • Cuéllar (for Walker 78)
    • Pirès (for Agbonlahor 86)

4 for Makoun? Very harsh. I thought (a couple of sloppy passes aside) he was good

Poor again for me, should be Petrov and NRC against West Ham.

Thought he was quite bright apart from a few sloppy passes early and set up our second goal (yes I know) with a beautifully weighted through ball.

My main frustration with him today is that he had a clear shot at goal from just outside the box on at least two occasions and elected to pass instead. We need our midfielders to be having a pop from outside to stretch the defence a bit but he seems reluctant.

That felt so good. *lights a cigarette*
Shame that I quit- it would have been one nice smoke break. Well done to the team

I don't smoke, but after this game my nerves could certainly do with some nicotine. :D

Great result.

We really needed that.

Not an amazing performance, but good enough. Defence looked a bit dodgy first half but much more assured second half. Friedel had very little to do which says a lot.

MOTM Downing for me. Another great performance from him.

Downing man of the match, really is getting better and better. Makouns needs to realise he doesn't have to pass with his first touch, because half the time it doesn't end up at peoples feet, big contrast to his debut against Wigan.

Wow. Watched the game with the horrible sinking feeling I've got used to this season. Only difference is we managed to not **** it up. And that's quite a big difference.

I wasn't alone in thinking that disallowed goal would cost us, and when the 5 minutes came up it really was "here we go again". Is it possible that our dreadful luck has finally turned? We've played far better than that this season and lost.

Five points clear of the drop should mean we can relax a bit and play to our strengths, of which we actually have a lot.

Just back. Not a bad performance but that was very much secondary anyway as its the 3 points that mattered.

Man of the match was easily Petrov. The guy was immense. Reminded me of his Man City performance in January. He at times had to do the work of two as Makoun was poor. Real Captains performance and he led by example. Petrov and Reo Coker should and I believe will start against West Ham.

Collins and Dunne after a shaky start defended well. Walker however was poor and Guttierez gave him a tough afternoon. Friedel made a couple of decent saves.

The rest of the lads just did OK.

Over all pleased with the 3 points. Hopefully we'll soon be safe and we can get rid of the pratt who has led us into this mess.

made the pint in the pub very enjoyable that.

Overall we clearly deserved it, and frankly would have not had those nailbating last 5 minutes if the officials had been halfway competent. Onside goal, 50/50 pen, corners not given etc. Found it hilarious Barton could actually claim it wasn't a foul for the FK that led to our goal :lol:

first half, nerves were evident, and it was a bit quiet from both sides, but after we scored we were better, especially in the first 30 minutes of the second half - created chances, kept the ball well, clearly room for improvement, Makoun - although unlucky not to have an assist for the Bent 'goal' was just missing his passes a bit too often really, so he needs to work on that, but Young was so much better on the wing, Gabby ran his arse off, and deserved a goal, Downing was good, as was Friedel - very commanding when he needed to be. As much as it oculd have been more fluid etc, there's plenty to be pleased about IMO.

Friedel 7 - did what he had to well

Walker - 6.5 generally ok

Collins 6.5 - good header for the goal, though seemed a little sloppy positional wise at the back

Dunne - 7 took out Barton

L Young 6 - seemed uncomfortable on the left, not all too surprising, but otherwise ok, he improved as the match wore on

Downing - 7 good match

Makoun 6.5 - thought he was bright at times but as said passing was off today

petrov 6 - didn't notice him much, aside from one pointless effort at goal, but made no mistakes either

young a - 7 - got the assist, and was a threat down the wing, but some of those corners - dear lord!

gabby 7.2 - MotM - goal will come soon, hopefully against west ham, thought he was terrific

Bent 7 - did score by the rules of the game, but shoddy officiating deprived him of a cool finish. A few too many balls sent over his head though when he was indusputably offside!

Reo Coker - 7 came on to do a job and did it well, i think he'll start against his old club next week

Pires 4 - pointless, the one slight gripe I had with GH today, I don't think Albrighton would have been a risk in this match, rather he'd have tested Enrique. The one run he did have with the ball, he lost it immediately

Cuellar 5 - 12 minutes on pitch got carded and had all of us chewing our nails off with a wild challenge.

GH - 8 except the pires sub, got it right today, and deserved a less frantic finale, but as said numerous times by everyone, the officials had other ideas!

Onto West Ham!

Brad MOTM for me but it was a God awful match with very little quality from both sides.

We can also be thankful that Newcastle were missing a couple of their better players.

If we stay in the Premiership major, major, surgery needed in the summer.

Not a great performance, but a much needed win and I have to say I am over the moon. Never thought we'd be able to hang on to that lead. Collins was superb, I'll forgive his blunders for scoring that winner. Also impressed with Petrov & Gabby today. Thought A.Young, Makoun and Bent were terrible. Especially Young, apart from the assist, all he did was moan and fall over. Almost every pass was abysmal. Tbh I am growing very tired of his antics, I'd consider dropping him for a game or two. Makoun was a bit lost today and his 'lightweightness' was especially noticeable. Bent is useless when he doesn't get the proper balls, sad but true.

I dont understand why Houllier doesn't use Albrighton anymore. Other than that, good 3 points won. One more win and i'd say we are 100% safe.

He felt his groin on Friday, it wasn't worth bringing him on for the last 10 mins, glad he gave him a full rest.

I think we need probably 5 points from our last 6, which should be achievable. A win next week should also do it, but i would take a point. We controlled the game after the first 15 mins to the last 10, which was expected because of our position.

Positives.

Win

Clean sheet

Right tack-ticks

Controlled most of the game

Collins

Dunne

Young L

Downing

Petrov

Negatives

Should have buried them

Nervous first 15 and last 10 mins

Makoun, way off the pace most of the time

Walker

All in all a great weekend for AVFC.

So pleased with the win!! Just what we needed! Petrov added alot with his composure. I thought Makoun and Walker were very poor today, both wasteful. Personally felt that Downing was very poor today, by the standards he has set himself this season. Gabby worked hard today aswell.

Much needed win today!!! GET IN!!!!

Â