• Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Makoun 67)
    • Cuéllar (for Walker 78)
    • Pirès (for Agbonlahor 86)

Houllier's subs made me laugh.

First 2 were really sensible substitutions, and the kind of changes that we've been asking for, for a long time.

Then the third was laughable. We could all see Pires getting stripped off, and there was an audible grumble when he took his jacket off.

Heskey, Albrighton, even Clark would have been more suitable.

I thought the decision to use Pires made some sense. We needed cool heads and players who could hold the ball. Albrighton or Delph can be loose cannons at times. You only have to look at that crazy tackle from Cuellar to see how dicey the situation was.

The only other sensible option to Pires would have been Heskey, in my view.

First 2 were really sensible substitutions, and the kind of changes that we've been asking for, for a long time.

Then the third was laughable. We could all see Pires getting stripped off, and there was an audible grumble when he took his jacket off.

Logical thing to do was bring Gabby off and stick another midfielder on when you're holding onto a lead.

Albrighton's a winger, and carrying a knock apparently, Heskey is a striker.

Pires made sense to me. And we held on relatively comfortably (despite it being nailbiting) so I think the decision was justified. Maybe Clark could have been used, but there was nothign wrong with bringing pires on imo.

Ponky, Stevo - you're the first people Ive heard to agree with Houllier on that substitution, maybe Im just not listening loudly enough.

Thought he was terrible when he came on, no urgency what so ever. Infact, it was his lazyness in not coming for the ball that led to the dangerous free kick towards the end of the game.

Logical thing to do was bring Gabby off and stick another midfielder on when you're holding onto a lead.

Albrighton's a winger, and carrying a knock apparently, Heskey is a striker.

Pires made sense to me. And we held on relatively comfortably (despite it being nailbiting) so I think the decision was justified. Maybe Clark could have been used, but there was nothign wrong with bringing pires on imo.

Uh Oh!

Sensible post alert!

Honestly? I think criticsing Houllier for bringing a central midfielder on for a striker when we're holding onto a lead, even if it was Pires, is just finding a stick to beat him with.

Nothing wrong with the substitution.

I must admit his first 2 substitutions pleasantly surprised me with their "correctness", in my view.

NRC for Makoun was obvious, but it must be tempting to leave Walker on when he poses such a threat. but to bring him off for Cuellar, who I think we all agree is defensively sounder, especially with the inevitable hoofs into the box, was a good decision.

However, when Cuellar flew into Collocini and gave away that free kick right at the death I wasn't so sure ;)

A few minutes before Gabby went off, I heard on the TV coverage someone from the dugout call out to Gabby. I saw Gabby respond with a nod and a grimace. One can only guess what was said, but Gabby didn't seem perplexed by it. Perhaps he had taken a knock? Either way, given our history of letting in late equalisers or winners, I have no complaints about trying to sure up the midfield instead of going for the jugular...

Petrov did well and I think one of the motivations for starting him may have been that he has a cooler head than NRC.

90 minutes of NRC vs Barton would probably have seen one or both of them being sent off.

Pardew's comments were so bitter it's unreal!! Plus that word removed Savage trying to be funny by saying "villa are a very poor side, it's just lucky for them that there's 3 worse sides then them". He dresses like a prick and talks like a prick!

We are a very poor side. We are not where we are just by bad luck alone. The old saying 'the table never lies' does apply to us.

I just wish people would get real and accept it.

We struggled to beat a very poor Newcastle side without their first choice midfield and attack while we were at full strength.

Savage is correct!

I think a lot of the reason why we struggled is because of the nerves. Beat West Ham on Saturday and I reckon our next home game will be a lot smoother.

Pardew's comments were so bitter it's unreal!! Plus that word removed Savage trying to be funny by saying "villa are a very poor side, it's just lucky for them that there's 3 worse sides then them". He dresses like a prick and talks like a prick!

We are a very poor side. We are not where we are just by bad luck alone. The old saying 'the table never lies' does apply to us.

We struggled to beat a very poor Newcastle side without their first choice midfield and attack while we were at full strength.

Savage is correct!

I think a lot of the reason why we struggled is because of the nerves. Beat West Ham on Saturday and I reckon our next home game will be a lot smoother.

I agree, thats where we will see the likes of Jean II coming more to the fore too!

Woke up in the middle of the night (Australian time) to a 'nightmare' that Houllier had just had a heart attack after we got beat by Newcastle late! Weird as. Got up to see the last 10 minutes of the match on tv and almost had a heart attack myself, particularly when 5 minutes injury time went up on the board. Massively relieved though to survive that last 10, we weren't in their half at all that whole time I was watching....

Savage is correct!

As I see it we have a good but very underperforming side. And there are more than 3 teams worse than us. At least if the table doesn't lie.

Not a great performance but I didn't hope for any more than a scrappy win. We controlled the 2nd half untill the last 5 minutes + the shocking 5 added minutes. Where the hell did he get them from? :?

Anyway, Petrov back at his best. Hope he can keep that form. When he's that good he's very important to us. Luke Young was another good player yesterday. Hope he too stays in the team. We won, that's what's important atm.

And two thumbs up for the Fans at VP. :thumb:

shame super marc didnt get some playing time, great result though

met friedel outside the shop in aston shook his hand and congratulated him on a great game and he responded with were going to kick west hams ass next week!

Serious? What a badass!

serious mate and i could tell in his eyes he meant it, i think this win has certainly lifted the players spirits

Petrov did well and I think one of the motivations for starting him may have been that he has a cooler head than NRC.

90 minutes of NRC vs Barton would probably have seen one or both of them being sent off.

I think 90 minutes of Barton battling it out with NRC and Delph would have been worth the ticket price alone

Robbie Savage is just the latest in a long line of chancers who somehow make a living as a football pundit. Combines sarcasm and predictable prejudice in equal measure. Could someone please tell him that he isn't a philosopher or a playboy.

For what it is worth, my view is that when the BBC is making cuts to essential parts of its service, some of the most dismal journalists and therefore first for the chop, are the numerous residents of the MOTD sofa. (Colin Murray excepted)

Robbie Savage is just the latest in a long line of chancers who somehow make a living as a football pundit. Combines sarcasm and predictable prejudice in equal measure. Could someone please tell him that he isn't a philosopher or a playboy.

For what it is worth, my view is that when the BBC is making cuts to essential parts of its service, some of the most dismal journalists and therefore first for the chop, are the numerous residents of the MOTD sofa. (Colin Murray excepted)

Colin Murray would be top of my list. I genuinely dislike the smarmy git.

Honestly? I think criticsing Houllier for bringing a central midfielder on for a striker when we're holding onto a lead, even if it was Pires, is just finding a stick to beat him with.

Nothing wrong with the substitution.

To be honest he has played there but I wouldn't call Pires a central midfielder. It looked as if he went to play in the Ashley Young style 'hole' at first. I'd have rather Heskey on playing in there TBH or Clark, or somebody who could actually tackle and/or run.

That last few minutes could really have cost us, and would have completely ignored Houllier's good work for the previous 80 odd minutes of the match (tactically and with subs).

Wow aren't the Newcastle players showing themselves in a pathetic light? And what a bunch of sore-loser pricks! The thing I can't figure out is the way they are so open in villifying Ashley Young - surely if nothing else you never know what's going to come around in football and imagine finding yourself at a new club alongside Ashley after you have character assassinated him in public?

And as for Pardew I guess he never expects to be in a position to try and sign Ashley for whatever shitty little club he works for...

Â