• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Makoun 67)
    • Cuéllar (for Walker 78)
    • Pirès (for Agbonlahor 86)

Pardew's comments were so bitter it's unreal!! Plus that c.unt Savage trying to be funny by saying "villa are a very poor side, it's just lucky for them that there's 3 worse sides then them". He dresses like a prick and talks like a prick!

Three very well deserved points. Gabby was MotM for me. Never stopped running all game. It was a mistake to sub him as that just invited pressure. Far better to keep the pressure up than sit back and defend.

For me a really good all round performance, very pleased.

We had a corner in the second half and Gabby ran over to Petrov and said something then Petrov ran over to the bench and to me it looked like Petrov was telling Houllier that Gabby had pulled his hamstring as he pointed to the back of his leg when telling Houllier whatever Gabby told him.

That's the reason Gabby was taken off, it may have been a dead leg, but he did point to the back of his leg.

Albrighton felt his groin on Friday Houllier said, maybe he just didn't want to risk him for 10 mins of the game when a full weeks rest would be better for him?

Loved seeing NRC squaring up to Barton! Bloody love NRC, the boy is always up for the ruck!!!
That was good, but Petrov's "tackle" (more like wrestle) on Barton topped them all. Petrov always gets down and dirty and I love it.

Loved seeing NRC squaring up to Barton! Bloody love NRC, the boy is always up for the ruck!!!
That was good, but Petrov's "tackle" (more like wrestle) on Barton topped them all. Petrov always gets down and dirty and I love it.
I agree, Petrov done great there. and tbh i think our midfielders handled that thug very well. Reo though i have to say never bottles out and is always the first to put his neck on the line. I never thought i'd say it but i'd like Reo to stay..

Thought Gabby and Petrov were superb today, really showed that they cared about the cause and both have been perhaps our weakest performers of late (when they've played). Luke Young also made a big difference, solid as ever and created an outlet in an attacking sense. Downing dangerous as ever and Collins won a lot (why people have turned on him so badly on occasions is beyond me).

Houllier frustrated me with his subs - his changes are a little too predictable. Rather than keeping a flying Gabby on to stretch their tired defence he brought on Pires who frankly, in that situation at his age, isn't going to do a great deal. We needed running, we got a man with a half-decent touch but the sprinting technique of a fat Paula Radcliffe about to unload.

We saw it out so just happy with the three points. Created chances, still a lot to work on though and our defence in the first-half was giving me heart problems at the age of nineteen.

That game was like watching us last season under O'Neill.

We could actually grind out a result, and for once we defended very well. Can't say we've done that many times this season (Everton and City at home then Wolves away are the three I can think of), but it's good to see a bit of fight and steel in the team.

WTF is Pardew on about? Barton on Young was probably the most clear foul of the match! (apart from Petrov's rugby-tackle on Barton)

Young knocks the ball on, goes past Barton, Barton sticks his leg out, nowhere near the ball, and trips him up - did I miss something?

One thing I would say is that Barton's histrionics may have had an effect on the umpire because it was after Atwell pulled Barton aside for a chat that Atwell started treating us with absolute contempt.

Three very well deserved points. Gabby was MotM for me. Never stopped running all game. It was a mistake to sub him as that just invited pressure. Far better to keep the pressure up than sit back and defend.

For me a really good all round performance, very pleased.

We had a corner in the second half and Gabby ran over to Petrov and said something then Petrov ran over to the bench and to me it looked like Petrov was telling Houllier that Gabby had pulled his hamstring as he pointed to the back of his leg when telling Houllier whatever Gabby told him.

That's the reason Gabby was taken off, it may have been a dead leg, but he did point to the back of his leg.

Albrighton felt his groin on Friday Houllier said, maybe he just didn't want to risk him for 10 mins of the game when a full weeks rest would be better for him?

Must of missed that. Fair enough if he has tweaked something but I think Pires was a poor choice to replace him.

I thought Bents goal looked onside, either that or the linesman has incredible vision.

The penalty decision was 50/50, Bent went down a bit easy but it was very similar to the one given against us last week at Everton.

Best of all we kept a clean sheet, with credit to Brad and Newcastles poor finishing.

Got my tickets to west ham next saturday, bring on another 3 points and a step closer to safety

Pardew's comments were so bitter it's unreal!! Plus that word removed Savage trying to be funny by saying "villa are a very poor side, it's just lucky for them that there's 3 worse sides then them". He dresses like a prick and talks like a prick!

What, so you disagree with him? :shock:

Friedel - 6 - did ok but his goal was rarely threatened

Walker - 5 - looked nervous defensively and gave Guttierez too much space at times. He had loads of space in the first half but we were not switching the play quickly enough

Collins - 6 - Terrible before he scored - losing headers to Ranger and running away from him at one point to leave him with loads of space. Looked much more confident after the goal. I still think Carlos is a much better CB.

Dunne - 6 - ok today

Young - 6 - solid defensively but offers little going forward as he always has to check back and Young doesn't seem to run beyond him

Petrov - 6 - ok. Still too slow for me and should have been dominating against Danny Guthrie! Should have gone off when Makoun did as he was shot.

Makoun - 6 - ok as well. Has too learn that not every ball needs to be first time and seems to panic when he has to hold on to it.

Young - 5 - Poor and should have been booked for a ridiculous dive in the first half (not for the free kick that led to the goal). £20m, yes please!

Downing - 7 - Good again today. He is a threat with the ball at his feet. Lacking support from a slightly off Walker today.

Gabby - 6.5 - poor first half, excellent second half and really had them worried.

Bent - 6 - did well, fought hard and should have had a goal plus a penalty.

Houllier - 6 - did okay today but they are a poor side without Carroll plus injuries. Wanted to see 4-3-3 to really release DJ and Ash. The Pires sub was just bizarre and it should have been Emile - hold the ball up front and help out on corners/set pieces.

Ref - 2 - Very very poor. Missed a lot that has already been listed several times.

MOTM: DJ

Petrov - 6 - ok. Still too slow for me and should have been dominating against Danny Guthrie! Should have gone off when Makoun did as he was shot.

Sorry but this just simply isn't correct IMO. Petrov did dominate the midfield yesterday and was having to cover Makoun at times. It was Makoun who looked very tired before he went off and rightly so. I have been critical of Houllier and his subs but that move was spot on yesterday.

I cannot believe anyone watching yesterday could put Petrov's performance on a par with Makoun's, he had a very good game yesterday and should remain in the team alongside Reo Coker for the rest of the season.

Houllier's subs made me laugh.

First 2 were really sensible substitutions, and the kind of changes that we've been asking for, for a long time.

Then the third was laughable. We could all see Pires getting stripped off, and there was an audible grumble when he took his jacket off.

Heskey, Albrighton, even Clark would have been more suitable.

Pardew's comments were so bitter it's unreal!! Plus that word removed Savage trying to be funny by saying "villa are a very poor side, it's just lucky for them that there's 3 worse sides then them". He dresses like a prick and talks like a prick!

We are a very poor side. We are not where we are just by bad luck alone. The old saying 'the table never lies' does apply to us.

I just wish people would get real and accept it.

We struggled to beat a very poor Newcastle side without their first choice midfield and attack while we were at full strength.

Savage is correct!

Â