• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Makoun 67)
    • Cuéllar (for Walker 78)
    • Pirès (for Agbonlahor 86)

I dont understand why Houllier doesn't use Albrighton anymore. Other than that, good 3 points won. One more win and i'd say we are 100% safe.

He felt his groin on Friday...glad he gave him a full rest.

Slightly inappropriate for the manager to feeling a player's groin and wearing him out a few days before a big game.

Thought the Undertaker was going to make an appearance at the start of the match with bells going off.

Disappointed :(

Ha ha I know yeah, I said that to one of my mates.

Crucial 3 points today. What a relief! My nervous system is shot to pieces though. I really thought they were going to nick a draw in injury time and I had my head in my hands when Taylor was about to take that free kick.

Pissed off about Bent's goal not standing. I've just got home and seen the replay, he was definitely onside. I thought he could have had a penalty too, definitely seen them given for alot less. Atwell is a useless referee though! We need to build on this now! We've got a nice little 5 point cushion which relieves the pressure slightly but we need to kick on now and finish as strongly as possible. West Ham away next week will be very tough though and I honestly would take a point.

i thought there were several good individual performances but overall as a team we were a bit shakey, didnt think we would see it out the header at the end was a shocker

bent played well looked isolated but worked pretty hard and won a fair share of flick ons, petrov was good, big brad solid, gabby had his best game in ages and downing was as good as he's been for most of the season, collins MOTM IMO didnt give ranger a sniff especially 2nd half

negatives - walker wasnt brilliant but if you looked at how they doubled up on young we couldnt really do that on gutierrez due to the formation and enrique, young was piss poor for a change 1st man last man or the keeper every **** corner every **** week its even more annoying when you look at the quality of the free kick, makoun is a strange one 90% of his touches are 1st time passes which either look great or shit brilliant ball for bents offside goal

GH - two good subs followed by the i can see what he's doing just wish he wasnt doing it with pires sub, i still dont like downing on the right

barton is a muppet, the ref was weak and inept, they can harp on about respect all they like but when you see perfromances like today you can see why it wont happen, should have booked barton for his moaning, not sure on the pen it looked like one of those anywhere else on the pitch he gives it decisions, but the corner he missed i could see from the lower north

Just got back from the match. All I can say is thank god. It was exactly what I had hoped for, a result we ground out. When was the last time that happened? Everyone fought like lions. Bent's disallowed goal was onside.

We won;t be going down after that.

Oh and it was great to shut the jawdees up!

Great result from a very nervous game. I thought Luke Young was MOTM today, and I am surprised no one else thought so Kept Barton out of the game, made no mistakes, defending solidly and added extra support down the left as much as he could and made some great runs.

Ashly Young again spent most of the time moaning, rolling around the floor from the slightest of touches and genuinely being very annoying, but did make the second most import touch of the game (bar Collins header) with that free kick.

Walker needs to remember he cannot score from a 60 yard run beating 4 men and putting it in the top corner from 20 yards every game and do the basics as a defender, but other than that, the team were great.

I also thought Makoun did ok, so am surprised as the slack he is getting. I thought he got stuck in well and made some great passes including the one for Bents goal that should not have been rulled offside. A lovely reverse ball after spotting his run.

Dunne looked solid again, and Collin won everything in the air plus the goal, and Downing looked a threat going forward. Gabby looked like he has found a little more confidence and the team as a whole worked very hard.

Great result. Much relieved after that one.

Up the Villa

pires was a retarded sub and ashley young was playing too deep imo, but 3pts was needed and thats what we got, so i couldnt care less about how we got there

Made perfect sense to me at the time. We needed to keep the ball and his experience was what we needed over some pace like Albrighton for example

The problem is, for me Pires needs 30 minutes to get his joints warmed up so it didnt really offer anything

We still won so no point dwelling on it

The 2 centre backs were great today, Collins nicking MOTM for me.

Oh and **** OFF YOU JAWDEE INBREDS.

Ah yes, and **** OFF BARTON YOU CHAV CRIMINAL VERMIN.

i agree ulver, we had two ways of playing it, bring on albrighton and try and hold the ball up and waste time or bring on pires who offers experience and the ability to slow the game down and offer another body in the centre

the player in the middle made sense just a shame it was pires

I have to say, thank you Joey Barton for living up the crowed from the tension by being an absolute prick.

Yep.

Said the same to my brother just before we scored. They were getting on top of us but him acting like a word removed, seemed to give both the crowd and the players a bit of energy.

pires was a retarded sub and ashley young was playing too deep imo, but 3pts was needed and thats what we got, so i couldnt care less about how we got there

Made perfect sense to me at the time. We needed to keep the ball and his experience was what we needed over some pace like Albrighton for example

The problem is, for me Pires needs 30 minutes to get his joints warmed up so it didnt really offer anything

We still won so no point dwelling on it

so surely it didnt make perfect sense at the time (i.e. with 5 mins to go)???

Friedel - 8 - maybe 7 is a bit fairer but he commanded his area today and came out to collect a few crosses and corners, which im not used to from him, plus kept us ahead with a couple of good saves.

Walker - 5 - made some very stupid mistakes today, decent coming forward but he just seemed to try to be too clever and gave them chances out of nowhere atleast 2 or 3 times. Very promising though, love him but in a bit of bad form the last week or two. Luckily, he knows this, sure he will sort it out.

Collins - 7 - Solid at the back and a well taken goal. Didnt do anything spectacular but was solid at the back. Won everything in the air and gets an extra point for his goal and for not making a mistake for once. Completely stunned we were a threat from set pieces.

Dunne - 6 - A bit slow but we're used to that. Was OK today, the individual performances at the back were all okay, but as a unit they were shaky, no communication, players running into each other and going for the same non-dangerous ball a couple of times too (this is the whole defence not just Dunne)

Young - 6 - decent, maybe 6 is a bit harsh, he was decent gong forward, linked up well aand was decent at the back. Didnt do anything spectacular though.

Petrov - 8 - Nothing spectacular, but was extremely solid, a very good performance today, tires after 60ish minutes but was fantastic for those 60 today.

Makoun - 4 - I love Makoun, his passing is top notch. Today it was poor, very poor. Seemed to have a bit of an off day (i know others dont rate him but I think he has been ok so far). Didnt have a good game at all, glad houllier didnt whisk him straight off, get the feeling Makoun is a fragile character and runs on confidence imo.

Young - 6 - Decent freekick, fully expected it to end up behind the North Stand. Whines and whines and whines and whines and whines and whines though. Absent in the first half, okay in the second. Wasn't the right game to play albrighton otherwise I would have suggested bringing him on.

Downing - 7 - Great player, fully worth the money we paid for him. Ran the show along with Petrov for me today. Did brilliantly vs their leftback.

Gabby - 6 - nothing bad nothing great, one chance springs to mind where he should have passed instead of shooting, where a throughball to Bent was definitely on the cards that would have left to a certain goal but he carried on running.

Bent - 7 - not really receiving the service, so many times there were great chances for balls to him, from Makoun, Gabby, Petrov - the whole team infact. Cant really mark him down for not getting involved in the game as he wasnt bought for that.. He got involved a lot more than normal though, ran at the defence a bit and held up the ball well.

Houllier - 8 - Right subs at the right time (I probably would have bought on Heskey instead of Pires, but we needed to keep the ball). Right formation. Still needs to sort out the defence. Didnt make any PR howlers, that im aware of.

Ref - 2 - Abortion of game from his point of view. I hate it when we sing it... but the games I've been to this season, we really do seem to always get a shit ref.

MOM: Petrov.

Delighted by today, although i've aged about 10 years!

Thought Heskey should of come on towards the end instead of Pires, special mention to the idiots booing when he did come on though, just what we needed!

Good to see Bartons still a prick, and must admit the 'you're just a shit Gareth Barry' did make me laugh.

Really need to avoid defeat next week. Keep that 5 point gap between us and West Ham, a loss really drags us back down into it.

surprised by the ratings for Collins, thought he had a shocker. What was he doing for the Ranger chance in the first half when he ran away. Late on in the second half he kept backing off to allow the player a shot on goal. Could have cost us twice. Thought Petrov was class, Gabby and Bent worked really hard and Ash actually managed to deliver some decent set pieces. Nerves stopped us battering them by 3 or 4 today.

Â