• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Reo-Coker (for Makoun 67)
    • Cuéllar (for Walker 78)
    • Pirès (for Agbonlahor 86)

Nice to see Friedel (7) command his 6 yard box. Makes a change. Did better than usual.

Walker (5) isn't good enough to sign for this football club. Rightly substituted. Good coming forward but can't defend.

Collins (7) started badly but scored and got stronger as the game went on.

Dunne (7) Solid and steady today.

Young (7) Did well at leaft back I thought.

Makoun (4) bad day at the office. Needs time to adjust.

Petrov (8) Played really well. Nice passing and worked hard.

Young (6) Quiet game, crossing generally poor, apart from the goal

Downing (6) Quiet game today.

Gabby (7) I think he's lost a yard of pace, takes up the wronf positions but generally ran the wings well and chased down well.

Bent (6) Nothing special, nothing to work off. Put his only real chance away, offside

Subs- Pires, honestly Gerard, have you learnt nothing. We are nervous and you bring on a touch player?

Cuellar did ok, as did Nigel Reo-Coker.

Fair play, we won, it was not a great game but the win is the important thing. I thought the fans were **** great. 12th man, bring a scarf etc, we were great. Those bells made me think I was at a funeral!!

Holtenders in the sky all the way!!

Friedel - 7

Walker - 4

Collins - 5

Dunne - 6

L Young - 6

A Young - 5

Makoun - 5

Petrov - 6

Downing - 8

Gabby - 7

Bent - 5

thank god for that.

How can you give 5 to Bent? He scored a goal that should have stood. He should have had a penalty and generally played very well. ???

Got home from the match a little while ago now. Having spoken to my father who watched the match at home, my impression of how things went were more positive being at the ground than perhaps it seemed on television.

I thought in the second half in particular we really dominated Newcastle, and anything other than a win for us would have been harsh. The only sour note is that I do feel bad for Bent and Makoun that a perfectly good goal was disallowed. I think it would have done Makoun in particular the world of good.

Friedel - 7 - Good performance all-around. He made some important, if not particularly difficult saves today

Walker - 4 - Worst game for Villa I thought. Not as good as usual going forward and struggled against Gutierrez and Lovenkrands. Still, he's only young and he was bound to have an off-day sooner or later

Collins - 6 - I'm glad he got the goal, because he performed a damn sight better after he scored than beforehand. Considering that he is supposedly such good friends with Dunne, their communication was poor today and I still have reservations about his positioning and decision making

Dunne - 7 - For me, the best player out of our defenders today. Solid, and coped with Ranger well. Showed a decent turn of pace on two instances too.

L Young - 6 - Did a tidy job considering he was playing on his weaker side. I'm normally not a huge fan of his, but today I thought he played well.

Downing - 6 - Drifted in and out of the game, although I always felt like he could create something, more so than Ashley today.

Makoun - 7 - Can't believe he's getting some stick on here today. Bar a few stray passes in the first half he kept us ticking over nicely in midfield, and made some very good challenges in midfield too. Hardly a two-footer amongst them!

Petrov - 8 - Captain's display today. Obviously up for it after getting his award for 100 caps. Although he tired towards the end, he seemed to keep his influence in the game throughout.

A Young - 5 - Got better in the second half, but was playing too deep and didn't look like he was really putting a shift in for us today.

Agbonlahor - 7 - Still some issues to address, but I thought Gabby played really well today. He isn't the most intelligent footballer, but he is dangerous and with more movement and support in the box, could have set up a goal or two for us today.

Bent - 6 - Shame his goal was disallowed. Played as well as we can expect. I think we need a strike partner with him though. Drifts in and out of the game a la Downing.

Didnt think Collins had a great game at the back. Was drifting a bit in the first half and almost left Ranger in free in the box. Had that been a decent striker, it would have been a goal. Though Dunney was the stronger of the two.

Stan was excellent. All over the park. We should be ok. A win next week should secure that.

Thank god!

A much needed 3 points.

Was pleased with Gabby, Petrov, Collins and Downing. He still needs to tackle more mind.

I think he actually attempted 3 sliding tackles Today, that's enough for any winger!!

Thank god!

A much needed 3 points.

Was pleased with Gabby, Petrov, Collins and Downing. He still needs to tackle more mind.

I think he actually attempted 3 sliding tackles Today, that's enough for any winger!!

He's not in the team to tackle.

shame super marc didnt get some playing time, great result though

met friedel outside the shop in aston shook his hand and congratulated him on a great game and he responded with were going to kick west hams ass next week!

Three very well deserved points. Gabby was MotM for me. Never stopped running all game. It was a mistake to sub him as that just invited pressure. Far better to keep the pressure up than sit back and defend.

For me a really good all round performance, very pleased.

shame super marc didnt get some playing time, great result though

met friedel outside the shop in aston shook his hand and congratulated him on a great game and he responded with were going to kick west hams ass next week!

Serious? What a badass!

Just got home...

Motm Petrov or Gabby

Makoun was fine, put in a good shift. Anyone saying 4 or below would seem to contradict the standing ovation he got, but each to their own.

Young reluctant to go forward at times.

Honourable mention for L Young who was probably the best defender today.

Very pleased with 3 points - the most important thing.

Positives for me:

Gabby playing down the middle and looking dangerous

Luke Young

Petrov - held the central midfield together

Downing (apart from the 50-50s!)

Bent - looked dangerous

3 points!

Players looked committed.

Negatives for me:

Walker worries me defensively (Cuellar should be a far more solid option at RB IMO.

Makoun - drifts in and out the game. Poor today - needs to impose himself on the game more.

Ashley Young - dropped to deep and came inside too often. The goal came from him crossing the ball in from a wide area.

Humongous 3 points today!

Good team selection, sensible substitutions and, despite a few nerves, an all round satisfying performance. Downing got my MOTM, but I was pleased at how solid Friedel looked for a change.

Â