Alan Hutton

Rich_D

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Working hard, not complaining, taking a pay cut... I don't think those are really negatives.

Say what you want about a something as subjective as his ability (which I think is above average for this league), I don't think you can really knock his professionalism.

As for people criticising his "laziness" in jogging back. How many people have accused Bree of the same for QPRs second? He was out of position, took too long to get back, was at fault for the goal. Not a peep. Or how about people criticising the new manager for leaving his full backs so exposed and open to the counter? Nope.

The same few players will always, always be criticised, regardless of what they do. It's very obvious when they do something very noticably good (Kodjia scoring a brace, Hutton v small heath) and people still have to put the digs in.

He didn’t take a pay cut. So tired of hearing this one.

He was out of contract and signed a new one on reduced terms, terms which reflected our drop in league and stature and his decline in performance and age. 

Im sure he has an affection for the club but I’m also sure staying at the club and not moving/commuting was appealing to him.

But he didn’t take a pay cut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Say what you want about a something as subjective as his ability (which I think is above average for this league)

Hutton isn't even average in this league, one of the worst fullbacks in the league. Alan Hutton cannot defend, he just can't.

You are deluded if you honestly believe Hutton is above average. He isn't even average or below average, he is bad.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Hutton isn't even average in this league, one of the worst fullbacks in the league. Alan Hutton cannot defend, he just can't.

You are deluded if you honestly believe Hutton is above average. He isn't even average or below average, he is bad.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time showing respect for another's, differing, opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm sorry you are having a hard time showing respect for another's, differing, opinion. 

I'm sorry but you have to be literally blind if you can't see that Hutton is way off the pace in this league.

It's just obvious, every team targets him and it's working every week.

• Like 1

He always gives 100% in training ..... that goal he scored against Blues!

But what about the other 99% of matches?

Hutton isn't an idiot, he knows what he should be doing as a full back, and yet he ignores what he should be doing in favour of the 'hero' marauding role that he tries to create for himself in every game.

It comes off once or twice in a season, and the rest of the time it costs us goal after goal because he's way out of position.

Hutton has enjoyed the freedom to do what he wants, because we've been woefully short of defenders. This has to end in this transfer window!

• Like 2

It is not Alan Huttons fault he has been pretty much an ever present for us for the last 5 seasons. Numerous managers have failed to replace him or replaced him and then decided he is the better option. 

When picked all you can ask from any player is that they do their best. You can't expect Albert Adomah to play like Ronaldo. Hutton has limited ability there is no doubt about that but I do believe week in week out that he does his best. That isn't anywhere near enough to elevate him to legendary status and I doubt anyone with more than a couple of brain cells would seriously mention him in the same breath as a Cowans or McGrath.

It is perhaps a reflection of how many couldn't a toss simply happy to pick up their wages merchants we have had playing for us that a player who it seems does genuinely care for the club and is trying his best has gotten a bit of a cult status. That isn't Alan Huttons fault though that is the fault of all those players who over the last 7 or 8 years have put on our shirt and not given an ounce of sweat in it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm sorry but you have to be literally blind if you can't see that Hutton is way off the pace in this league.

It's just obvious, every team targets him and it's working every week.

I'm sorry that you can't respect another's opinion and have to resort to personal insults. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Legend? Always gives 100%?

I give up.

He's scored a wonder goal or two during a stay that's been too long, came back in from the cold without moaning, cracked on with the job and always looked like he really cares - that's been enough to earn him legendary/cult status with some. How low some have set their standards for our club! 

For me, I'm grateful that he gets stuck in every game, it at least shows he cares. However, I'd prefer it if he could get into the right positions, mark runners better and just basically do a decent job every game. He doesn't and that's why we concede as many goals from areas of the pitch where he can be found. Playing him at full back in the same team as Elmohamady or Taylor is like having Morecambe and Wise at full back. 

• Like 1

Maybe my "Legend" statement was OTT I concur - possibly more of a modern day cult hero.

However, some of the stick he comes in for is equally OTT.

Atleast the bloke gives a shit unlike some of the mercenaries we have had over the years wearing the shirt. He doesn't deserve half the stick that he gets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Maybe some of the blame for Hutton should be deflected to those who pick him every week and also play him out of position

Who else would you play at leftback? 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure that a legend has played for this club for twenty something years. This is still one of the most accomplished clubs in the country. Having a funny chant and trying hard don't make a legend.

I don't view him with the disdain that some do. I actually like him, as a bloke. He seems like a good egg, and for all of the criticism of lacking effort tracking back, it takes a lot of determination to win his place back after being written off.

But a mediocre, at best, fullback is not a **** Aston Villa legend.

I think Alan Hutton has a bouncebackability factor, why I have no idea.

He can be like chalk and cheese.

But his time with us, as with Gabby is more an indictment on the club as a whole than on them....absolutely no foresight to look beyond the end of their nose.

for me....and its no criticism of the current owners or manager....its no surprise.....we have been badly run for over 10 years and it won't go away in a flash.

for me the scouting and the process above has been woeful.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Fair enough, I read it as a dig at Smith who currently has no choice.

No, we will wait until he signs someone no better.....keep a rain check.

just kidding.

Â