Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

• 1 month later...

I knew having a dog made a huge change to your day to day life, but McGrath, I'm exhausted. 4 months old now. She comes into work with me twice a week (soon to be thrice). She's not really left on her own but the two times she has been shes pissed all over the crate (it was only an hour).

Gonna have to work on some separation anxiety stuff with her now. Other than that she's pretty much good as gold. Sleeping OK (but getting up a couple of times in the night - again think it's more separation stuff).

• Like 2

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

I knew having a dog made a huge change to your day to day life, but McGrath, I'm exhausted. 4 months old now. She comes into work with me twice a week (soon to be thrice). She's not really left on her own but the two times she has been shes pissed all over the crate (it was only an hour).

Gonna have to work on some separation anxiety stuff with her now. Other than that she's pretty much good as gold. Sleeping OK (but getting up a couple of times in the night - again think it's more separation stuff).

Does she have a lot of space in the crate?

Its best to restrict their space and build it up over time, dogs by nature don’t piss/shit where they sleep but they can get confused if they have too much space from the get go.

I know it seems counterintuitive as you’d think giving them room to move about in the crate would be the right thing to do but in terms of training it’s actually not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Does she have a lot of space in the crate?

Its best to restrict their space and build it up over time, dogs by nature don’t piss/shit where they sleep but they can get confused if they have too much space from the get go.

I know it seems counterintuitive as you’d think giving them room to move about in the crate would be the right thing to do but in terms of training it’s actually not.

Yeah it's the right size - She doesn't do it over night or anything it was only the 2 times we've put her in during the day to go shopping. I think she just worked herself up so much tbh.

12 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It's tiring isn't it? It took a bit longer than that for my lad to not exhaust me, and he still irritates the hell out of me sometimes when I'm working from home and he will just. not. stop. jumping. up. but they do calm down eventually.

Separation anxiety is a huge pain, my lad is 18 months now and we've made essentially no progress. He's now visited for walks, rather than going to daycare, and I'm optimistic that will help over time.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

She's settled down quite nicely now. 21 weeks old yesterday. TBH she's good as gold, just a bit clingy.

Sounds like she's never alone therefore has issues being alone. You can start training her to be alone, if being away for an hour results in her pissing then start with 10 minutes and build it up.

So got a dog/puppy three weeks ago 😬 Mini Schnauzer.(9weeks old)...first week I slept downstairs with the guy and did the gradually moving the crate into the hall trick ....worked a treat he's so easy going ...nailed the toilet command in the first week ....he goes full vampire on the kids at times but I'm doing the distraction thing and it seems to be gradually working ... brought him to the vets to complete his jabs and check over where he met other dogs ..,.. And he does not like big dogs 🤣🤣 doesn't Mind other people/cats or small dogs .....but a big dog ... Bananas 🤣🤣🤣 so we're gonna do some dog socializing classes to smooth the lad out 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Month + in ....doing really well .... probably the smartest dog to train ....still chewing on 1 of the kids but he's calmed it on the other two, few accidents still happening in the house but I'd say that's more the wife busy in the office not letting him out every two /3 hours ...... Got home today to a whaft of poop when I opened the door .....the robo hoover went over a pile and spread it over most of down stairs ...other than that he's been great

• Haha 2

My shihtzu had 15 teeth out last week. She had been out of sorts for a week or so and took her to the vets and turns out she had a problem with her teeth. Which is odd as she went in for her MOT and booster last month and I mentioned her teeth. So getting over that she developed conjunctivitis, not really feeling 100% currently. 

• Sad 3

On 17/04/2022 at 10:27, Genie said:

I missed this little rascal whilst I was away this week

B480-BC8-A-EC8-E-4972-8-BC0-35-DBECF5332

4 years old now. I heard so many story’s about Beagles being naughty and hyper active but he’s been as good as gold from day one.

He’s huge!

26 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He’s huge!

He does look massive in that picture although he is fairly big for a beagle. I think they overfed him at the kennels as he’s come back quite chunky.

On 17/04/2022 at 10:27, Genie said:

I missed this little rascal whilst I was away this week

B480-BC8-A-EC8-E-4972-8-BC0-35-DBECF5332

4 years old now. I heard so many story’s about Beagles being naughty and hyper active but he’s been as good as gold from day one.

I think your Beagle's a Bassett hound :P  :P  

So changed the dogs food to grain free after a few weeks of runny 💩 worked a treat ....twice the price tho 

So far The trail of destruction is

A lot of plants eaten 

Three pairs of shoes/runners

1 rug

1 dog toy 

3 tennis balls

And the robovac is beyond repair

Still he's a good lad 😂

• Like 1

Â