Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

8 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Do you have dog wardens? That's who you need to contact.

I've contacted them in the days since and they said dogs only have to be on a lead in playgrounds and specific areas. Not in the fields where we walk our dog.

Useless guidelines really.

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I've contacted them in the days since and they said dogs only have to be on a lead in playgrounds and specific areas. Not in the fields where we walk our dog.

Useless guidelines really.

Surely that rule goes out the window once they attack another animal. Proving they're not able to be off a lead in public.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Surely that rule goes out the window once they attack another animal. Proving they're not able to be off a lead in public.

As with the police, I was informed that it's a civil matter. From the website it seems they're more keen to prosecute people who don't pick up their dog's dumps. That's £100 right off the bat.

• 3 weeks later...

Any dog can attack . Some only attack other animals and are not human aggressive. Bull Mastiffs are beautiful dogs and I’ve never met an aggressive one yet. If they do turn they can do more damage than most dogs though . If you know your dog has any form of aggression then it should be on a lead. Bull mastiffs don’t need a good run about because too much exercise can be harmful for them so an extendable lead would be more than sufficient . Other breeds do need a good run and more exercise, but you still need to be responsible . You can train aggression out of dogs so maybe that’s an avenue the owner could take. That costs money and patience though .

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Any dog can attack . Some only attack other animals and are not human aggressive. Bull Mastiffs are beautiful dogs and I’ve never met an aggressive one yet. If they do turn they can do more damage than most dogs though . If you know your dog has any form of aggression then it should be on a lead. Bull mastiffs don’t need a good run about because too much exercise can be harmful for them so an extendable lead would be more than sufficient . Other breeds do need a good run and more exercise, but you still need to be responsible . You can train aggression out of dogs so maybe that’s an avenue the owner could take. That costs money and patience though .

I was delivering a parcel last week. There was no answer and had a safe place of the garden. Went through the gate, the French doors were open and out bounded a Bull Mastiff/Dogue de Bordeaux, I didn't stop around for a closer look and test how protective of its house it was. 

As you say owners. Need to be aware of their dog and its temperament, whether that means always being on a lead or the risk of a stranger coming into the garden and finding its very protective.

46 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I was delivering a parcel last week. There was no answer and had a safe place of the garden. Went through the gate, the French doors were open and out bounded a Bull Mastiff/Dogue de Bordeaux, I didn't stop around for a closer look and test how protective of its house it was. 

As you say owners. Need to be aware of their dog and its temperament, whether that means always being on a lead or the risk of a stranger coming into the garden and finding its very protective.

That kind of breed is protective of its home and pack(owners). Look at staffys, great family dog and lovely breed, but killing machine if you get a bad apple. 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I've heard (no pun intended) that on average 1 in 5 dalmatian pups are born deaf😥

Yep, not to take the Christmas thread too far off topic. I'm not sure of the exact percentage but it is very high. They usually try to euthanise the deaf ones in an attempt to remove that trait from carrying on into the next generation.

• Sad 1

I am thinking of buying fireworks, visiting national trust properties and going inside the buildings and last night I went to the pub without thinking that I needed to get back. Sadly, heartbreakingly so, my dog died last week. 

• Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am thinking of buying fireworks, visiting national trust properties and going inside the buildings and last night I went to the pub without thinking that I needed to get back. Sadly, heartbreakingly so, my dog died last week. 

I’m so sorry to hear that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Might have to let one of our dogs go. He's started being randomly aggressive to our other dog, and today went for my son.  Luckily he didn't catch him or anything but it could happen again and I'd never be able to forgive myself if he hurt anyone.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Send some good vibes this way. My guy just went through a 2 hour surgery because he ate a pacifier/dummy. I mean, neither of my kids use them but we had a couple knocking about just in case. No idea how he got hold of it. It got stuck in a loop in his intestine irritated it so badly that they've had to remove part of the intestine and reattach it. Now the danger is leakage which will lead to septicemia :(

We should get an update in the morning from the hospital. I'm not ready to lose him.

ce8b7719cd666b84b188e8c0b999c8be525a4f3f

Good vibes your way

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Send some good vibes this way. My guy just went through a 2 hour surgery because he ate a pacifier/dummy. I mean, neither of my kids use them but we had a couple knocking about just in case. No idea how he got hold of it. It got stuck in a loop in his intestine irritated it so badly that they've had to remove part of the intestine and reattach it. Now the danger is leakage which will lead to septicemia :(

We should get an update in the morning from the hospital. I'm not ready to lose him.

ce8b7719cd666b84b188e8c0b999c8be525a4f3f

All the best dude.

• Thanks 1

Â