Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

Norway doesn't really get a lot of shelter dogs for some reason. I guess it's partially cause dogs are so god damn expensive here you normally stick with it and plan well before getting one, but I seem to have seen a small up tick in 8-12 month old dogs in shelters/ads recently. Kinda sad really. Guess most countries will have their share of corona puppies being returned when people realise they grow up.

On 28/04/2021 at 01:01, KenjiOgiwara said:

I kinda want an E.B. they look so bloody awesome.

They do thats for sure - and they know it! My guy thinks he's a rock star he get so much attention.

They are also very loving, kind, wonderful with children and low maintenance in terms of walking.

However they aren't a dog that you can leave alone for long periods as they get terribly lonely. They can have health issues so find the best breeder you can. You may pay more but it will save you a lot down the road in vet bills. Research the breed so you know what you're getting into is my advice!

Mine is a 60 pound lap dog. Seriously he would sleep in my lap all day if I let him.

On 28/04/2021 at 09:25, KenjiOgiwara said:

Norway doesn't really get a lot of shelter dogs for some reason. I guess it's partially cause dogs are so god damn expensive here you normally stick with it and plan well before getting one, but I seem to have seen a small up tick in 8-12 month old dogs in shelters/ads recently. Kinda sad really. Guess most countries will have their share of corona puppies being returned when people realise they grow up.

We took a rescue on last August. Saved from Romania via a charity on Facebook.

She was incredibly scared (worse from men), she was grey, skinny and looked I’ll.

They reckon she was about 1 and she’s a greyhound/German shepherd cross we reckon.

She’s now a completely different dog and it’s amazing to know we are part of it. Starting to come off the lead but she’s rapid, she used to spend all day upstairs or in the garden but she now wants to spend all day with us. She’s really playful and annoys the other dog by getting all of the toys out.

Get a rescue if you can.

• Like 4

We're almost 4 weeks in with our rescue from Serbia. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions so far. Heartbreaking when collected her but she's gradually come out of her shell over that time.

She loves my wife but has been more guarded with me but that wall seems to be breaking down with plenty of treat and retreat.

She's a small/medium Lab/Weimaraner cross (I think). 

She's lived in a pension for 3 years after being taken off the streets at 6 months old so living in a suburb with all the noises, TV, people etc must be massively disorienting. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nicho said:

We took a rescue on last August. Saved from Romania via a charity on Facebook.

She was incredibly scared (worse from men), she was grey, skinny and looked I’ll.

They reckon she was about 1 and she’s a greyhound/German shepherd cross we reckon.

She’s now a completely different dog and it’s amazing to know we are part of it. Starting to come off the lead but she’s rapid, she used to spend all day upstairs or in the garden but she now wants to spend all day with us. She’s really playful and annoys the other dog by getting all of the toys out.

Get a rescue if you can.

My aunt rescued 2 dogs from Spain who were incredibly similar to what you describe. Really timid and terrified of men (they used to be beaten a lot apparently) but after a while completely different dogs. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone ever experienced a 15 year old dog suddenly starting to get very clingy and puppy-like over night?

Feeling unwell?

11 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Feeling unwell?

No idea. It's my in-laws dog. It's deaf and struggling with arthritis, but it's always been grumpy and quiet, but now out of the blue it's starting to follow people, hug their feet, bark, show a mix of anxiety and puppy energy.

Completely bizarre for a 15 year old gentleman.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

On 21/04/2021 at 09:41, KenjiOgiwara said:

This sounds dumb, but it's so annoying to see all these countries have so many rescue dogs to pick from, yet the shelters here have almost none.

We've been discussing getting a dog. I was supposed to get a boxer last year, but then the breeder ghosted us for some reason. My gf claims it's easier to adopt a child in Norway than a dog, and I swear to god I think she might be correct. To get on a puppy list the breeders need to know EVERYTHING, and you're supposed to have a house, a garden, ideally a farm, kids, a car, live close to a dog park, never be away more than 4 hours +++. Absurd.

I still love boxers, but now the gf says she prefers us to get something smaller, since she is quite petite and we live in an apartment.

There are a few dogs I flat out refuse to get, especially these small paris hilton dogs and whatever. But she said she likes mini schnauzers and some terriers, but I'm wary about getting those to an apartment complex due to their barking.

It's difficult.

Ideally we want a dog that doesn't shed a lot, doesn't bark a lot and isn't too big. And I know that sounds like we don't want a dog, but that's kind of what the missus have said she wants. I can only think of border terriers and mini schnauzers, but they both tend to bark a fair amount afaik.

I also prefer a short coat to a long coat. Man it's difficult.

A small spaniel? My cousin used to breed Cavalier King Charles' - they're lovely dogs, very sociable. Also technically a 'toy dog' so apartment-appropriate or a beagle for short-haired?

6 hours ago, Peckham Wanderer said:

A small spaniel? My cousin used to breed Cavalier King Charles' - they're lovely dogs, very sociable. Also technically a 'toy dog' so apartment-appropriate or a beagle for short-haired?

My GF likes them, but I'm worried about their skulls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

We have an extra member of our household as of today. A brush coat Shar pei. She's finally relaxed had a sleep.

After the last attempt at rehoming fell through. This one hasn't been smooth sailing either. After we saw her, she was booked in to be neutered, when they spotted some skin irritation and entroprian (eyelids turned inwards) both of which are common in the breed. They initially said she would need an operation (which they would do) and a course of treatment for her skin. We visited again today to find out what the situation was. They have decided that the eyelids aren't causing irritation but may or may not in the future but an operation is not necessary currently.

Knowing that this now won't be covered by insurance if she does need an operation in the future, we had a think about it but decided to carry on with the adoption. We were allowed to come back later on in the day to collect her and she's now snoring away after a busy day.

Oh and her farts are vile 😂

AikIe7g.jpg

fRk6ei0.jpg

She a beautiful girl tho. Love big dogs me.

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

My GF likes them, but I'm worried about their skulls.

My uncle bred them when I lived with them. Not my type of dog but I can understand why people like them. I also discussed their health issues in my dissertation (plus various other breeds). 

On 16/05/2021 at 21:02, AlwaysAVFC said:

We have an extra member of our household as of today. A brush coat Shar pei. She's finally relaxed had a sleep.

After the last attempt at rehoming fell through. This one hasn't been smooth sailing either. After we saw her, she was booked in to be neutered, when they spotted some skin irritation and entroprian (eyelids turned inwards) both of which are common in the breed. They initially said she would need an operation (which they would do) and a course of treatment for her skin. We visited again today to find out what the situation was. They have decided that the eyelids aren't causing irritation but may or may not in the future but an operation is not necessary currently.

Knowing that this now won't be covered by insurance if she does need an operation in the future, we had a think about it but decided to carry on with the adoption. We were allowed to come back later on in the day to collect her and she's now snoring away after a busy day.

Oh and her farts are vile 😂

AikIe7g.jpg

fRk6ei0.jpg

Nice dog . I wanted one, but the missus said no. Our house is probably not ideal for the breed anyway. 3 loud kids, a cat and we also have a french bulldog . We will probably get another dog in the next 12 months .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Nice dog . I wanted one, but the missus said no. Our house is probably not ideal for the breed anyway. 3 loud kids, a cat and we also have a french bulldog . We will probably get another dog in the next 12 months .

You don't need a house mate, you need a menagerie

• Like 2

Â