Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

Whether getting rid of the breed works or not, in all honesty there are probably a few different dog breeds I wouldn’t be too downbeat to see the back of.

(In the main, dogs of that ilk - aggressive with short, smooth coats. There’s the odd exception, bulldogs are pretty chilled. I think)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Because there’s always going to be demand for masculine dog breeds wether it be Staffy or Mastiff etc etc .

This is the crux of the issue as far as I'm concerned. Ban the Bully-XL breed? Yes. 

What happens once it is banned? Breeders fill the gap with a similar breed but one that is not identifiable as a Bully-XL which is probably as potentially dangerous - or worse, even more so. 

Regulation and licencing won't work.

The government struggle with getting people to have driving licences and insurance. Why would it be ant different for dog ownership?

They'll just be bred and sold illegally and the police won't bother actively checking people's licences.

• Like 1

I dont get the 'macho' argument with these types of dogs.

If you need a XL and aggressive dog to make you look manly then you're not very macho.

Everyone knows that genuinely macho men are comfortable walking chihuahuas and their like.

spacer.png

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

I’m no expert on the dangerous dog act . I’ve been out for a family meal so didn’t really have time to continue the conversation , but I briefly looked how well it went with the banning of pit bull terriers . I’ll look into that more later before I say I think it went well or not, but I did read that in 1991 when the ban came into place there were around 10000 pit bulls in the uk . Rules were set out for those owners but most , one report suggested 3 in 4 pit bull owners failed to register their dog and gain a licence etc.  I also believe people carried on breeding them but just sold them as Staffordshire bull terriers, so there is a massive grey area regarding this. Could XL bully’s be sold as another breed and get away with it? I’m not sure but if mistakes were made with the pit bull ban now is the time to rectify that with how they approach this breed. Rishi Sunak is no expert in dogs I’m sure of that and I ain’t either. 

• Like 1

I don't honestly see the need for anyone to own a fighting dog of any breed. I had a staffy in my younger days before kids and there's no way I'd consider one now. I was wrong then.

Even with more docile breeds, the general rule of thumb is that you can never trust them 100%. Why increase the risk?

The ban itself is a good first step but it needs to be enforced and regulated. This is where the Tories will fail, as there's no money in it for their mates. It's only the plebs dying and being attacked. Tarquin is alright in his gated community.

58 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I don't honestly see the need for anyone to own a fighting dog of any breed. I had a staffy in my younger days before kids and there's no way I'd consider one now. I was wrong then.

Even with more docile breeds, the general rule of thumb is that you can never trust them 100%. Why increase the risk?

The ban itself is a good first step but it needs to be enforced and regulated. This is where the Tories will fail, as there's no money in it for their mates. It's only the plebs dying and being attacked. Tarquin is alright in his gated community.

There’s actually not many fighting breeds out there. A lot of these macho breeds as some call them are old working dogs wether it be protecting livestock or guarding property etc. I’ve had a staffy and I’d have one again , I have 3 kids . Totally agree with what you say regarding the government getting it wrong .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

The photo they showed of the 2 dogs which killed the man yesterday had them chilling on sofa with a boy of around 5 or 6 standing between them.

I’m sure had this not happened the owner would have swore his dogs were soft a shit and would never hurt a fly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JPJCB said:

People keep saying that we should be targeting the owners not the breeds. Why not just do both? Ban these breeds who are far more likely to kill people than any other dogs. But massively toughen up the sanctions on the idiots who can’t keep their dogs under control

Exactly, especially people who own/breed 'XXL' bullys like this.

Might as well have a lion at that point. A lion would probably be safer.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He/Her looks like royalty lay on that bed 

It’s a footstool but he likes to lie on it when the sun shines through the window just right. He’s like a cat for that, always likes in the smallest scrap of direct sunshine.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2023 at 22:19, Genie said:

The photo they showed of the 2 dogs which killed the man yesterday had them chilling on sofa with a boy of around 5 or 6 standing between them.

I’m sure had this not happened the owner would have swore his dogs were soft a shit and would never hurt a fly.

Nah loads of his old FB posts have come out now calling the dogs 'nutters' 'psycho' 'schitzos' etc 

My pals got a one of these XL Bullys, proper one, ears clipped, moody face, he looks after it for someone who can't be arsed, or can't manage. He's a bit of a loner so used to bring the dog down the pub when we all used to meet. Pain in the arse the dog was, attention seeking, barking, growling, so the social used to end up being all about how he shouldn't be bringing a dog of that character down, especially inside a pub, sometimes falling out with him in the process. Fortunately, the dog got banned from our local as well as 3 other pubs in the area for apparently intimidating customers, an having to be held back when a staffy kept barking at him, proper drama apparently.

Personally for me, the dog was soft as shit, playful, but I can tell you now, he is a big boy and if he went off, you would have to evacuate the area, they are very very dangerous.

Â