Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

5 hours ago, BOF said:

I made a booboo. I got my breeds mixed up. I was talking about the English bull terrier, not the English bulldog. Someone else will have to comment on the bulldog. Other than watching The Dukes of Hazzard I've no experience with them. Sorry 😕

Damn,  I've just ordered 4 for my orphanage.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Possibly close to getting a rescue dog.

We've wanted one a while but as we were planning on moving we held off. It's so hard to rescue a dog at the moment. Demand is still high, particularly ones that are suitable to be rehomed with children. I've been checking the sites regularly to try and get in first.

Finally today had the call, to arrange to visit a 6 year old Staffy cross on Sunday, so fingers crossed she likes us.

Rescue dogs are the way to go, for me at least. I also had a staffy from about 1997 to 2011. She was the benchmark by which we have measured all other dogs. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Rescue dogs are the way to go, for me at least. I also had a staffy from about 1997 to 2011. She was the benchmark by which we have measured all other dogs. 

My Mrs worked for Blue Cross for a number of years, so it's the only way we would go.

• Like 1

This sounds dumb, but it's so annoying to see all these countries have so many rescue dogs to pick from, yet the shelters here have almost none.

We've been discussing getting a dog. I was supposed to get a boxer last year, but then the breeder ghosted us for some reason. My gf claims it's easier to adopt a child in Norway than a dog, and I swear to god I think she might be correct. To get on a puppy list the breeders need to know EVERYTHING, and you're supposed to have a house, a garden, ideally a farm, kids, a car, live close to a dog park, never be away more than 4 hours +++. Absurd.

I still love boxers, but now the gf says she prefers us to get something smaller, since she is quite petite and we live in an apartment.

There are a few dogs I flat out refuse to get, especially these small paris hilton dogs and whatever. But she said she likes mini schnauzers and some terriers, but I'm wary about getting those to an apartment complex due to their barking.

It's difficult.

Ideally we want a dog that doesn't shed a lot, doesn't bark a lot and isn't too big. And I know that sounds like we don't want a dog, but that's kind of what the missus have said she wants. I can only think of border terriers and mini schnauzers, but they both tend to bark a fair amount afaik.

I also prefer a short coat to a long coat. Man it's difficult.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This sounds dumb, but it's so annoying to see all these countries have so many rescue dogs to pick from, yet the shelters here have almost none.

We've been discussing getting a dog. I was supposed to get a boxer last year, but then the breeder ghosted us for some reason. I still love boxers, but now the gf says she prefers us to get something smaller, since she is quite petite and we live in an apartment.

There are a few dogs I flat out refuse to get, especially these small paris hilton dogs and whatever. But she said she likes mini schnauzers and some terriers, but I'm wary about getting those to an apartment complex due to their barking.

It's difficult.

Ideally we want a dog that doesn't shed a lot, doesn't bark a lot and isn't too big. And I know that sounds like we don't want a dog, but that's kind of what the missus have said she wants. I can only think of border terriers and mini schnauzers, but they both tend to bark a fair amount afaik.

I have a shihtzu. They come in a variety of sizes, mine is a larger one but realistically still a medium sized dog. She doesnt shed, she is quiet but possibly due to her treatment by the previous owner. 
What I will say is look at the needs of the dog, a larger dog requires a larger living space and mainly a lot of exercise. Can you give that to a dog. As an example, and I know this isnt you, but if you spent all your time on a sofa and got a collie. That collie will become bored and likely trash your house. 
A terrier will on the whole want exercise and mental stimulation but not as much as a gun dog breed, a good one to go for is a norfolk or a norwich. Beautiful dogs, don’t take too much exercise. A schnauzer, mini or otherwise is also a very good choice. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have a shihtzu. They come in a variety of sizes, mine is a larger one but realistically still a medium sized dog. She doesnt shed, she is quiet but possibly due to her treatment by the previous owner. 
What I will say is look at the needs of the dog, a larger dog requires a larger living space and mainly a lot of exercise. Can you give that to a dog. As an example, and I know this isnt you, but if you spent all your time on a sofa and got a collie. That collie will become bored and likely trash your house. 
A terrier will on the whole want exercise and mental stimulation but not as much as a gun dog breed, a good one to go for is a norfolk or a norwich. Beautiful dogs, don’t take too much exercise. A schnauzer, mini or otherwise is also a very good choice. 

Do they bark a lot?

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Do they bark a lot?

Thats down to the dog. Chihuahuas are notoriously yappy but my experience on the whole is that dogs bark to alert or for attention. My dogs have always been quiet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

We've wanted one a while but as we were planning on moving we held off. It's so hard to rescue a dog at the moment. Demand is still high, particularly ones that are suitable to be rehomed with children. I've been checking the sites regularly to try and get in first.

Finally today had the call, to arrange to visit a 6 year old Staffy cross on Sunday, so fingers crossed she likes us.

Good on you pal.Shelter dogs have always been the ones for me.To each their own if they want to spend hundreds on buying a full blooded dog or what have you,but shelter dogs are highly my preference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ideally we want a dog that doesn't shed a lot, doesn't bark a lot

spacer.png

Good luck with that!

FYI my sister has 4 chiuhuahuas and a dachsund. They are all annoying, hair-shedding, yappy piss-machines.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We've been discussing getting a dog. I was supposed to get a boxer last year, but then the breeder ghosted us for some reason. My gf claims it's easier to adopt a child in Norway than a dog, and I swear to god I think she might be correct. To get on a puppy list the breeders need to know EVERYTHING, and you're supposed to have a house, a garden, ideally a farm, kids, a car, live close to a dog park, never be away more than 4 hours +++. Absurd.

I still love boxers, but now the gf says she prefers us to get something smaller, since she is quite petite and we live in an apartment.

It's difficult.

As a postie its without doubt that its the smaller ones that make all the noise when I'm coming towards the door. Whether its the breeds or the typical owners of these dogs that don't tend to train them. 

Like you say, there is not much about at the moment certainly for ones suitable for young kids. We haven't been choosy at all, we just wanted something Staffy upwards in size and not a greyhound or Lurcher. I also ideally wanted a Boxer but the chances of one becoming available were slim. I don't think there is a specific boxer rescue in the Midlands and the couple of other breed specific rescues I spoke to weren't taking any registrations due to demand.

Since we moved into our house in Feb. We've gone for every dog suitable for kids we've seen. A couple of Shar pei crosses, a Staffy, a Chow Chow, a Shepherd crossed with something which was massive and only 6 months. This Staffy cross is the first chance we've got to meet one. Although its probably not a bad thing that we didn't get the Chow Chow as they would have been pretty demanding on the grooming and a large amount of dog hair about.

They are expecting a flurry of dogs to re-home over the coming months but I imagine all these are going to have separation anxiety. So not straight forward unless you are always home and can help increase the time alone the dog has.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's difficult.

We do spaniels. They don't tend to bark a lot - in fact the old guy only barked once in all the time we had him. Now have a puppy, he doesn't bark much at all unless you deliberately tease him a bit. He does like playing in the garden though, so it's not zero effort.

On 20/04/2021 at 17:54, AlwaysAVFC said:

So we met her yesterday, said we'd happily have her in our home. Paid a small deposit and later arranged to collect her on Saturday.

Today I get a call to say that some previous owners have tried to claim her back. That may not of stopped the rehoming but they said that she bit their child. So now they won't re-home to us.

I suspect it was the previous owners saying it to stop the rehoming but that now means she can't go to us and I don't know their policy but maybe not them either. 

I've got 2 very disappointed girls now, 3 including the wife. Not a lot we can do, back to the obsessive searches of rescue centres. 

• Sad 3
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Planning on getting a dog for when we move into our new house in a month or so, and I am swaying towards getting a Beagle.

Has anyone got one or ever owned one/know much about them?

I thought about Beagle's for us as they seem like great dogs, but apparently they are quite yappie and can have some serious odour.  But beautiful dogs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Planning on getting a dog for when we move into our new house in a month or so, and I am swaying towards getting a Beagle.

I think they are quite active dogs and need lots of stimulation. You would need to make sure the garden is secure too as they are known to escape. They're always following their nose so it's probably out of curiosity of a scent or boredom but they can dig under fences.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

They're always following their nose so it's probably out of curiosity of a scent or boredom but they can dig under fences.

I can literally fart in my dogs face and he doesn't flinch.

fe2e9b136ad7ec36cf617e9867cb25b560edfbbb

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They're a lovely breed but they need to stay on the lead when out and about. As others have said their tracking instinct is overpowering, they'll be off following a scent until they get to the end of it and will ignore you and your calls until they find it. 

• Like 1

Â