jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

• 2 months later...
On 01/05/2022 at 19:02, AlwaysAVFC said:

Approaching a year since we rescued our Shar Pei. She is well and truly settled in now.

Originally she wasn't allowed on the furniture.

fRk6ei0.jpeg

Then she got a blanket and her own spot on the sofa

kPXiYWW.jpeg

And now, she will try and sit/sleep wherever she likes. This evening after putting the youngest to bed I found her on my chair.

LKOkmdn.jpeg

What a beauty 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Trevor the miserable stubborn git 

CE7FF0D2-4D5F-4F43-908A-F28992B9BABE.jpeg

Fancy naming your pet after Beelzebub from The Sty! 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill never understand why people pay big money for dogs when there are so many lovely dogs you can pick up for rescue

I see your point totally . I’ve got two dogs I didn’t actually want for free let alone pay for . It’s a cruel world .

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I see your point totally . I’ve got two dogs I didn’t actually want for free let alone pay for . It’s a cruel world .

My brothers got two rescues and two amazing dogs. Ive never had a dog but ive seen a rescue that i really like the look. But the missus aint having it unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

My brothers got two rescues and two amazing dogs. Ive never had a dog but ive seen a rescue that i really like the look. But the missus aint having it unfortunately 

Most logical way to do it, but most people want that cute puppy or that certain type of breed which is a bit shallow but I also get it to a degree. Is it a big dog you are looking at? No compromising with  her? Like you’ll promise to pick the dog shit up 

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Most logical way to do it, but most people want that cute puppy or that certain type of breed which is a bit shallow but I also get it to a degree. Is it a big dog you are looking at? No compromising with  her? Like you’ll promise to pick the dog shit up 

I like smaller - medium dogs to be honest 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill never understand why people pay big money for dogs when there are so many lovely dogs you can pick up for rescue

My wife previously worked for Blue Cross so it was never a consideration for a puppy. We got our rescue during covid restrictions so demand was high all round puppies and rescue dogs.

At the time my youngest was 3 and another 7, it was quite a challenge finding a dog we wanted (not too small) that was suitable for young children and the few that became available went very quickly. Some you could only get if you have experience of the breed, often familes have no dog experience. I was very frequently checking several rescue centres. Some people won't do that and just go the puppy route.

The whole puppy thing is a big factor at how cute they are, often without realising the demands of a puppy.

Sadly if they go through with it or not, many people think it might be a good idea to have a litter of puppies at some point, which you can't do going the rescue route.

And as mentioned people can have very specific ideas what they want and some your very unlikely to to be able to get from a rescue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

And as mentioned people can have very specific ideas what they want and some your very unlikely to to be able to get from a rescue.

Yep.  I've just got myself a jackapoo. I need a hypo allergenic dog as I'm mildly allergic to dogs, which really limited the available breeds and meant that I wasn't going to have much luck at rescue centres. 

11 minutes ago, HallGreenVillan said:

Got my dog, an Italian Mastiff bitch named Zeeta, from Birmingham dogs home about a week before the fist lockdown, I was morbidly obese, and single at the time, suffering from depression and anxiety, she's saved my life. I've lost 7 stone plus walking her daily for the past 2 years, she was the only reason I left the house during the lockdown, I met my now fiancee when she was walking her dogs, now have a 3 dog household best £150 I ever spent 🙂

What a great post to read . Put a smile on my face that did. Lovely dog by the way, I seen one a few months ago whilst out walking mine. Huge things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What a great post to read . Put a smile on my face that did. Lovely dog by the way, I seen one a few months ago whilst out walking mine. Huge things. 

she is certainly a big girl, loves playing rough with big male rottweilers, loves being chased.

I've been on the site for years, but rarely post, and read most of your off topic posts over the years, usually make me smile, but often make me concerned, wishing you well mate 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HallGreenVillan said:

she is certainly a big girl, loves playing rough with big male rottweilers, loves being chased.

I've been on the site for years, but rarely post, and read most of your off topic posts over the years, usually make me smile, but often make me concerned, wishing you well mate 

Hope you have a lot more fun with her, and the missus of course 🙂

That’s kind of you , thank you very much 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We're thinking about getting a puppy and curious if anyone had a recommendation for where to get it from. Would prefer a purebred or cross so that we have an idea of what we're getting (tempament and health wise) but not a deal breaker. Main concern is not wanting to use a puppy farm etc. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We're thinking about getting a puppy and curious if anyone had a recommendation for where to get it from. Would prefer a purebred or cross so that we have an idea of what we're getting (tempament and health wise) but not a deal breaker. Main concern is not wanting to use a puppy farm etc. 

Does it have to be a puppy and does it or does it have to be from a breeder, have you considered getting a rescue? We got our Staffie from the RSPCA and its the best thing we did, and I happily have another rescue. And with the cost of living crisis I can imagine quite a few pets being abandoned :( 

4 minutes ago, Craigyh74 said:

Does it have to be a puppy and does it or does it have to be from a breeder, have you considered getting a rescue? We got our Staffie from the RSPCA and its the best thing we did, and I happily have another rescue. And with the cost of living crisis I can imagine quite a few pets being abandoned :( 

I've looked at 100s of dogs at a number of rescue centres but none in this country will deal with us as we have a young child and they see it as too much of a risk. 

I've spoken to some overseas and they might but that's raised other queries. 

Â