Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Our best defender at the moment. I love his fearless attitude but for his own and for the clubs sake he needs to calm down a bit or else he's going to be injured more than he actually plays.

Taking that out of his game might make him half the player though, i love him though typical old fashioned centre back. 

Our best defender at the moment. I love his fearless attitude but for his own and for the clubs sake he needs to calm down a bit or else he's going to be injured more than he actually plays.

Taking that out of his game might make him half the player though, i love him though typical old fashioned centre back. 

Half the player? I don't want him to not tackle at all, just be a little less reckless. You make it sound like he has no ability at all. I agree with you, I also like an old fashioned centre back like him, but we've all seen the last couple of years how the refs don't tolerate hard tackles as they used to do and to be honest I'm suprised he hasn't been red carded yet. With all that said I do rate him very highly and hope we can keep him a few years atleast.

although im pleased that baker played better at LB than bennett and looked more comfortable there, i still feel that we would be better suited to switching clark there with baker kept in the middle

its clear that baker will be a better defender than clark in time, so wouldnt it be better for baker to partner vlaar and learn from him, whilst clark can learn to adopt to a LB position? because in time otherwise, baker will still be pushing clark out

baker is definitely a player worthy of a starting place in seasons to come

• Like 1

Really loved him the last match, needs to be in the first 11. Was the best leftback we had this season, I cannot think of any other match we had a good lb at all

A very salient point. By far the best performance I've seen from the left back position this season too, at least in the league against proper opposition. Must retain his place and should he not I'll be right on board the Lambert Out wagon, he'd lose the credibility I still have left for him.

We are very quick to applaud a good performance when it happens, but just look at this season in general... I have seen games where we have won and some player is suddenly the new Ashley Cole or Frank Lampard. Then we get murdered and said player is back to being awful again. I remember Eric Lichaj being more than good enough for the Premier League, then just waste the following week. My point is that we played against West Ham at home, a team that has scored 8 times away from home this season. I would reserve my "new" judgement until we have played Arsenal away and Man City at home. Most likely the perception has changed around here, like it always does.

We are very quick to applaud a good performance when it happens, but just look at this season in general... I have seen games where we have won and some player is suddenly the new Ashley Cole or Frank Lampard. Then we get murdered and said player is back to being awful again. I remember Eric Lichaj being more than good enough for the Premier League, then just waste the following week. My point is that we played against West Ham at home, a team that has scored 8 times away from home this season. I would reserve my "new" judgement until we have played Arsenal away and Man City at home. Most likely the perception has changed around here, like it always does.

I don't know if that's true. The support for Baker has been fairly unequivocal all season long and despite the odd waver the same goes for Westwood, Lowton, Benteke and Weimann in particular. Basically, the players who have performed more often than not. 

For example we're starting to see more support for Delph and N'Zogbia because they're both much improved. They've proved us wrong to a varying degree and it's OK to admit that, I think it's healthy. 

Clark and Baker are both going to be great CBs. 

Baker could be England CB. not right now, in a year or so. there is not much competition for the CB spots in the England team right now so it is hardly an exaggeration to say we have a potential England CB in Baker.

Clark is establishing himself as CB in the Republic of Ireland team. That is great for his experience.

if Baker improves sufficiently Vlaar will be sold on because he does not count as a "home grown" player. or we may just rotate 3 CBs like other clubs do.

Edited by Con

Really like Baker. The thing about Baker and Clark is, they could compliment each other so well in years to come.

Clark is obviously the better footballer but Baker is the better defender. They are both young and inexperienced at the moment and have been thrown in at the deep end but they will learn from this and am still confident both with will come good.

Baker needs to keep his place at left back. I'd have thought Lambert would have moved Clark over, but for me its either/or. We cannot afford to have Bennett anywhere near the starting XI.

• Like 1

baker looked like he just come out of war on sunday

loved that attitude something we have lacked recently

Reminds me of Terry Butcher. Sweden v England in a World Cup qualifier. 

Edited by Morpheus

Â