Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

So 22/23 year olds are too young to be regulars here?

Who else is playing central defenders that age every week?

Umm...Caulker. Shawcross I suppose played regularly from that age too. I take your point though, it is quite rare for that particular position.

I don't think that excuses Baker's performances though. He had loan spells prior to his run in the team. It's not like he was thrown in when he was a teenager or anything. He has just proven to not be very good. He offers sheer physicality and nothing else.

I don't disagree that he's been pretty woeful on occasion this season.  There must be something in it, though, that very few teams with ambition play young central defenders and we went into the season with 3 out of 4 being exactly that.

It's just another sad indictment of the state of our club that we can't give our youngsters the chance to develop at their own speed.  He may be 23 now, but we've needed and expected him to be Premier League class since he was 20.  It's not on.

• Like 2

Needs putting down like any other donkey. Never in a million years good enough for a sunday league team even by his constant f**k ups

Nathan has the incredibly unhelpful talent for carrying a calamity into every game, I'll give you that; but putting down all other donkeys seems a bit harsh.

Needs putting down like any other donkey. Never in a million years good enough for a sunday league team even by his constant f**k ups

Nathan has the incredibly unhelpful talent for carrying a calamity into every game, I'll give you that; but putting down all other donkeys seems a bit harsh.

haha touche

He is a young player thrown in at the deep end and is basically another victim of how our club has been decimated by the owner.

No sorry mate im not having this!!!

So basically its none of the players fault, cause they have been brought in to the premiership and been asked to play at this level, something they are unable to do.

Well it's not, is it?

If a player puts in **** all effort, then I'm happy to blame him. If a player is just poor, it's not really his fault is it? You don't choose your ability, you don't choose whether you start or not. If the manager thinks you're good enough to start and picks you, then you play. I don't think any player in his right mind is going to refuse because they don't think they're good enough.

This isn't defending the ability of Baker, I don't think he's good enough to start for us. But it's not his fault he gets picked really.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Not good enough, pure and simple.

Can't help but feel a little sorry for him though (please reprieve from the standard ??k-a-week arguments) as it's not his fault he's been put into a struggling team, when he probably would look out of place in most PL centre defence partnerships - even the top teams!

He clearly isn't going to improve his sharpness, distritution or penalties-per-game ratio any time soon, so us being reliant on him is ridiculous when we've had several transfer windows to sort it out now!

And the scapegoat has been highlighted yet again why?

1st goal offside, 2nd goal Vlaar mistake, 3rd goal Lowton , was playing central midfield at the time.4 Swansea players when the ball went in, 3 Villa defenders, where was the covering midfielder.

Baker should'nt be playing, but leave the kid alone a bit ffs.

• Like 1

You could dissect every goal yday and question players.Why was Shelvey allowed so much time and space to pick a pass to an offside Bony.Where was Westwood?

The 2nd goal, where was the options for Vlaar?, if not sure why not launch it.

The 3rd goal, defensive shambles, where was our RB?.

Yes Baker needs to calm down, but making out that he is solely responsible for our shambolic performances is utterly ridiculous.

Nor are Westwood, KEA, Gabby, Weimann, Lowton, Albrighton, Clark, but they are seen as more likely to be 1st teamers.

At the start of the season he was 4th choice CH, its not his fault he is a regular now.Her should be loaned out to learn his trade.For me hes better at this age than Cahill was, and he hasn't turned out too bad.I still think he has it in him to be a reasonable CH in about 3/4 years time.

You could dissect every goal yday and question players.Why was Shelvey allowed so much time and space to pick a pass to an offside Bony.Where was Westwood?

The 2nd goal, where was the options for Vlaar?, if not sure why not launch it.

The 3rd goal, defensive shambles, where was our RB?.

Yes Baker needs to calm down, but making out that he is solely responsible for our shambolic performances is utterly ridiculous.

You are right the whole lot is shambolic......but he seems to be making more individual errors that are leading to goals.

The third goal deserved a Simon cowell style muted laugh.....the back post was like the Mary Celeste.

It is all quite indefensible to me, pardon the pun.

They are both as poor as each other. Wouldn't get into any other team in the Premiership. Wasted money on Kozak, Helenuis and Tonev should have gone on a defender. Lambert's biggest mistake.

In fairness he did but he got injured.

They are both as poor as each other. Wouldn't get into any other team in the Premiership. Wasted money on Kozak, Helenuis and Tonev should have gone on a defender. Lambert's biggest mistake.

In fairness he did but he got injured.

Just 1?????? he bought and had a total of about 5 strikers available!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Â