Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think what is abundantly clear is that a new CB is needed next season. I don't want Baker and Clark to be our two back-up options. I'd be happy with a new CB who can genuinely challenge Vlaar and Okore with Clark remaining as the 4th choice though.

Having Okore back, or someone else, will be extremely welcomed. I have said it all season, Baker is a liability and I don't care how young he is. He is rash, makes stupid errors all the time, doesn't read the game well, positioning is off and anticipation even worse. Must be a nightmare to play next to him, because he cannot be trusted at all. Sure it was Bacuna who made the initial error for the worst goal today, but when under pressure you saw what happened next. The header he lost to Crouch was totally inept too, he is obviously going to lose to Crouch in 99 out of a 100 challenges in the air, but it was the way he gave 100% to reach the impossible ball instead of just trying to put Crouch to the ground or take out room instead to chase the next move. He was left completely exposed and they scored, it was inevitable from the moment he went for that ball. Baker likes to tackle and he is very tough, certainly good assets to have for a defender, but that goes for pretty much every other defender in the league as well. His toughness often leads to chances against us as well, because instead of anticipating what will happen next, and maybe change his position, he throws himself in and leaves the door all the way open if he misses the ball.

I would say he is one of the poorest defenders in the league right now and he is playing all of our games. No wonder we are letting in four goals at home to Stoke. He is the next James Collins. Tough, vocal, goes for every challenge there is and ends up with a cut in his face - but he cannot read the game or position himself for shit.

I think what is abundantly clear is that a new CB is needed next season. I don't want Baker and Clark to be our two back-up options. I'd be happy with a new CB who can genuinely challenge Vlaar and Okore with Clark remaining as the 4th choice though.

You are going to struggle to find better centre halves who are happy to sit on the bench as back up.

Okore is the new centre back for next season, we won't be getting a 5th.  

If we sold Baker (which is what I meant to insinuate at in the previous post) then we would have four CBs. Also, If the new CB is decent, then he can challenge Vlaar and especially Okore for a regular spot.

Baker is better then Clark. Clark is better than Baker. No wait, Baker is better. No shit, I mean Clark is better.

My opinion is that Clark has had a very good season, so I am surprised he has been on the bench the last few matches. On the other hand, Lambert should give every player in the squad an extended run, so when they eventually are needed, the players on the bench are good enough to fill in. Except for Albrighton AFTER his loan spell, every one on the bench seems slow and out of form when the come on.

In fairness Baker was given a chance in one game and he played well. He wasnt doing anything wrong in the next games so didnt deserve to get dropped again for Clark. I agree Clark has had a very good season and hopefully he will be back in for sat.

I think we'll see Clark come back in, he gave Baker a go, he took his chance, played well but had a mare against Stoke and should be dropped for Clark for the next game. That way we get the point across that you can't do that and stay in the side and that the competition for places is real, so that if he works hard he'll get another go to try and keep a consistent level.

Hopefully he'll come back stronger, I actually like both Baker and Clark (prob biased as they both came through the academy) and think with Okore coming back to fitness that they will be very high quality back ups who in the future could become a good pairing for us at CB.

I like baker and we should definitely keep him but Clarke has been better this season. To be fair, he usually performs better than that because games like that are not acceptable at this level to be honest.

At best Baker is a Championship centre half. Not good enough for Villa and I would be happy if I never saw him in a Villa shirt again.

He's a young defender, it'll be another year or two before anyone can seriously day whether he's good enough or not

• 2 weeks later...

The lad does his best but today he was diabolical. Gave the ball away on numerous occasions and almost every headed clearance seemed to be straight to a Fulham player.

Overall we are again looking piss poor defensively.

• Like 3

It doesn't help him, or Bennett though when the midfield pass the buck, by constantly playing the ball back to them, when they should be taking more responsibility.A pass back to Baker/Bennett should be a last resort, Westwood, Bacuna and Bertrand were doing it far too often

The lad does his best but today he was diabolical. Gave the ball away on numerous occasions and almost every headed clearance seemed to be straight to a Fulham player.

Overall we are again looking piss poor defensively.

Totally agree. Even the most basic headers were directed directly to opposition players. He is young and there's time for him to improve but I doubt neither him or the current first team coaching staff have the ability to do so.

Now I know we all want the local lads given a chance but after over 60 appearances you have to say that he is not good enough to be a top flight defender. And that the polite version.  No positional sense, dives in without thinking and injury prone even in his early 20's. At best a decent  lower championship/league one player. I have seen better players in League Two than Baker. Why Clark is not ahead of him in the pecking order is baffling to me.

Â