Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Makoun was not playing well either, but was in a position where we did have a degree of cover. He perhaps wanted a move away and we definately would have been interested in saving his wages (provided Olympiakos are actually paying his wages).

For me he looked a player that needed the extra time you get on the ball in continental football, he always seemed a yard or 2 off the pace in the Prem and whilst he may have adapted the question was undoubtedly whether his wages could have been better utilised elsewhere.

I'm assuming that as he was allowed, perhaps even encouraged to leave, that he wan't going to be part of the first team any time soon.

And the fact he's not regularly starting at his loan team would indicate that perhaps it was the correct decision.

Posted this earlier in the thread but it semed to go unoticed, but I feel it still applies, he looked like your typical continental footaballer and certainly was well off the pace whenever I saw him play. I'd be more worried about Makoun in the midfield than Delph and I dont have many good things to say about him on recent performances.

I wont argue that he had a decent touch and the ability to play simple balls to feet, but we already have a player with those atttributes in Petrov, what we need is somebody with a bit of drive, the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make something happen. That's why I beleive why allowed him out on loan with Jenas coming in, unfortunately just as he was showing signs of being that player he got himself injured.

Makoun for me would only ever be fairly expensive cover for Petrov this season, if he can prove he can adapt to the pace and physical nature of the league then he could be Petrov's replacement, but with the emphasis of the club of saving money I do not think he'll have long to prove his worth.

just to add to this discussion

buying makoun with no intention of really giving him a chance and playing him for a long enough stretch to adapt, is a costly decision, the same with the djemba twins and im sure there was another midfielder under the same scenario??

where do we need to look for a solid, non nonsense, reliable, CHEAP defensive mid?

• 4 weeks later...

He won't make it in the Premier League. I'd be surprised if he kicks a ball for us or any other Premier League club again. I would however like to see him do well for Olympiacos which is why I'm a little concerned that he only has 5 starts and has finished one game for them. It would have been nice to get a couple of mill back on the 5 mill, or 6 mill according to the BBC Makoun 6mill , we spunked on him.

I think our problems run deeper than the recall of a player who has struggled to hold down a first team spot in any of his last 3 clubs. If he can't cut it in the greek league - he won't cut it in the prem.

£6m wasted IMO

If he can't cut it in the greek league - he won't cut it in the prem.

...hes been injured. And another thing, hes a better option at CM than anything we currently have. So yeah, keep telling yourself that hes shit but in all honesty hes too good for us. Cant blame him for doing a runner at the first opportunity.

If he can't cut it in the greek league - he won't cut it in the prem.

...hes been injured. And another thing, hes a better option at CM than anything we currently have. So yeah, keep telling yourself that hes shit but in all honesty hes too good for us. Cant blame him for doing a runner at the first opportunity.

OH Come on. Even the bloke who brought him, dropped after him around 5 games.

Letting Makoun go out on loan to replace him with Jenas HAS to be one of the worst footballing decisions i have ever witnessed.

Not really, Jenas would at least have made the team on a regular basis if fit. Makoun probably wouldn't have made it off the bench very often. Simply not up to the Premier League.

Jenas was still a poor decision but he at least stood a chance of making the pitch.

If every foreign player who didn't immediately set the prem on fire was let go after 6 months, the likes of Henry and Drogba wouldn't have made an impact at all.

Makoun needed more time although I get the feeling he didn't really want to stay here once Houllier went.

Â