Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

I'm still perplexed how Makoun seemed to have changed as a player after his time at Lyon. He was nothing like what we saw when he played for Lille. Odd.

Sometimes things just don't work out and thats the way it is for Makoun.

80 mins of 3yd square balls and mistimed tackles no doubt

That made me chuckle. Andy Gray said something similar the other day (not about Makoun). He was saying how stats can be made into what you want them to be, he was saying how people rave about Barcelona making 2 or 3 hundred passes a game, but how many of them are accross the back 4 being as they never take a long goal kick? Maybe half?

93 successful passes against Man Utd wasnt it for Makoun? How many of them were leading to creating chances? None of them! And after that game people were saying he would be playing for Chelsea or such like by next season!

Yeah but football is a game of pass and move. If you're passing it and moving into space but no one else is doing the same for you, you're hardly going to be playing defense splitting passes are you?

I mean, players who can do the simple thing and pass it nice a tidy are great when you have other players who can do the same, if there's enough movement there then gaps and chances will open up. Which is the point about Barcelonas 300 passes or whatever, the fact is they're patient and willing to move about and not just give it away.

Back on Makoun, one of the things which Villa seriously lack (and i mean seriously!!!) is movement. Even when we get a throw-in, everyone is so static and still. Makoun didnt play the best in some games I;ll happily admit that, but I don't think the players he had around him helped much either.

Football is so simple, pass and move, keep the ball, wait for an opening, be patient. Yet, we get Alex Hoofer McLeish as manager constantly giving the opposition the ball back. That almost "traditionally English" brand of football is dead now IMO...

It bemuses me why we don't look at the template in how Barcelona play football and try and copy. I'm not saying it's going to work with our current crop but from a youth perspective. Get some Spanish coaches in and teach the kids to play like how Barcelona do, pass and move. If you can get that into their heads when they're young enough it will become second nature.

That made me chuckle. Andy Gray said something similar the other day (not about Makoun). He was saying how stats can be made into what you want them to be, he was saying how people rave about Barcelona making 2 or 3 hundred passes a game, but how many of them are accross the back 4 being as they never take a long goal kick? Maybe half?

93 successful passes against Man Utd wasnt it for Makoun? How many of them were leading to creating chances? None of them! And after that game people were saying he would be playing for Chelsea or such like by next season!

Yeah but football is a game of pass and move. If you're passing it and moving into space but no one else is doing the same for you, you're hardly going to be playing defense splitting passes are you?

I mean, players who can do the simple thing and pass it nice a tidy are great when you have other players who can do the same, if there's enough movement there then gaps and chances will open up. Which is the point about Barcelonas 300 passes or whatever, the fact is they're patient and willing to move about and not just give it away.

Back on Makoun, one of the things which Villa seriously lack (and i mean seriously!!!) is movement. Even when we get a throw-in, everyone is so static and still. Makoun didnt play the best in some games I;ll happily admit that, but I don't think the players he had around him helped much either.

Football is so simple, pass and move, keep the ball, wait for an opening, be patient. Yet, we get Alex Hoofer McLeish as manager constantly giving the opposition the ball back. That almost "traditionally English" brand of football is dead now IMO...

Fair point mate. :thumb:

Im just saying that stats dont always paint a fair reflection of what happens in a game. Barcelona was probably a bad example to use.

Fair point mate. :thumb:

Im just saying that stats dont always paint a fair reflection of what happens in a game. Barcelona was probably a bad example to use.

Yeah, stats are a funny old thing...

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there :oops:

It bemuses me why we don't look at the template in how Barcelona play football and try and copy. I'm not saying it's going to work with our current crop but from a youth perspective. Get some Spanish coaches in and teach the kids to play like how Barcelona do, pass and move. If you can get that into their heads when they're young enough it will become second nature.

Good post :winkold:

Thats simple, because trying to copy a top teams style will just lead to your best players being sold to them as you have developed a player that fits their system and they have more than enough money to get them.

While I agree we should be using our youth products and developing young players, the key to getting it work imo is having a style that is Aston Villa's.

Thou i agree with pretty much everything in your post ,I don´t think Barcelona is the way forward for us. The gap is just to wide. We will never develop or attract the kind of players needed to play like Barca. The thing we can learn from Barca (besides their movement) is the way they start their defending with their forwards and try to win the ball early.

I´d like us to look towards Germany and how their national team and top teams play. Quick intelligent transition play but with the ball on the ground. Same as with Barca movement is the key.

He's still not really getting many starts for Olympiakos - basically coming on as sub in the 2nd half in most matches.

And I don't think the Greek league is that hot to be frank.

He never really established himself in the Premier League and I am doubtful if there is a very strong case for bringing him back.

He's still not really getting many starts for Olympiakos - basically coming on as sub in the 2nd half in most matches.

that is true but Fejza and Ibagaza nearly always play ahead of him and they are very good players

perhaps SHA or Cov will take him off our hands, he'd probably just about cut it at Championship level

he'd walk into our present team

I don't think either of these are correct. I do like Makoun though, and I reckon he'd be quite capable of forming a great midfield partnership with the right kind of player.

Â