The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

Welcome back to the trenches, i bet you had easier times in the forces than facing us fickle fans!!!

I'd just like to say that Randy and the board still have my 100% backing, as nearly everything you have done for the club has been good and i won't change that opinion on one decision like this. Whilst AM in my opinion is a strange appointment, fact is he is here now and i'll support him as long as he's manager and hopefully you all prove us wrong and we all have to eat humble pie! I'm actually over the appointment now and quite looking forward to see who we sign and the season ahead!

My question to you is in regards to your criteria of having premier league experience. For future appointments will you look at keeping this as part of the criteria or will you change your stance on this?? You look at last seasons top 4 and not one of their managers has previous experience. Chelsea look like appointing Villa-Boas from Porto to and he is similar, so if the big clubs aren't concerned about it why are we and who are the advisers telling us this is important??

Hopefully AM becomes a huge success and then all of this will be irrelevant!

UTV!

General Krulak here:

IF the Fans are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not buying tickets is counterproductive to that desire...but again, it is up to the Fan.

What would you say to somebody who was undecided on whether to renew their season ticket or not? How would you convince them that the board's ambition remains as strong as ever? Because General, like it or not, this summer has so far sent out a powerful message to the fans, and I can't say that it's a positive one.

Hi General,

Just a quick question, is there any chance/plans to have the fixture list in a format where we can subscribe to it via iCal, Outlook etc.? It would be the perfect solution for myself and probably many others, especially when Sky change all the game times! I presume it would be fairly simple to implement, and would be a great help...

As for the appointment, I'll be supporting him and the team whatever his past. He's got 'guts', and that is exactly what we need!!! UTV

:flag:

Sorry, I know this is fan on fan post but could be relevant FYI General. On google calendar you can choose to add an AVFC fixtures calendar which fills it out for you. Then sync it to ical on your Mac: hey presto.

Hi General,

First of all as you are aware I have been massively behind yourself Randy etc since day one and agree with you that Randy has made several changes to the club, none I can think of now that have been negative.

This managerial business... Football is game, a business that would not exist (at this level) without fans. I understand as I am sure the majority do on here that there are far more qualified people out there to make judgement calls with regards managerial candidates than us, the fans. This said one consideration under normal circumstances when appointing a manager must be the fans reaction and support of the decision, of course this isn’t the top priority but a consideration all the same.

With the above in mind and also the nature of this appointment I am disappointed in the way that this has been handled. Now I’m not going to waste your time (or mine) in ranting about why I don’t believe that Alex Mcleish is the right man for the job (though needless to say I don’t). The board, Paul, Randy yourself etc must have known that even talking to Alex Mcleish would cause a reaction and a negative one at that. If I was advising Randy then the interaction with fans would have been worlds apart from what we have had thus far.

Ultimately Randy is the man, he pays the bills and he picks the manager. If Randy believed that Alex Mcleish is the absolute best manager available to us which I assume is the case as this is surely the only acceptable explanation for appointing a manager from across the city? Then whoever advises him/the board with regards to PR should have made it clear that it would be imperative to have a press conference immediately, a statement even sooner that explained exactly why Alex Mcleish is the best manager available to Aston Villa. I am sorry but the statement on the website is just full of hot air, I could put a spin on any manager in the football league and every positive comment the official statement could be countered, and with sensible comments not mindless fickle reaction. I understand that Randy doesn’t like to be heard but if ever there was a time... Still it’s his prerogative and that is respected.

I guess my point is that whilst the decision to appoint Alex Mcleish may be seen by many (perhaps the overwhelming majority) as a disappointing one the fans reaction could possibly have been controlled somewhat by some careful PR at the right time(s). Are you, the board, Randy happy with the way this has played out??

I look forward to hearing the clubs reason and rationale behind the appointment out our new manager over all other possible candidates.

I believe that this is a huge gamble considering the fans reaction (which must have been predicted) and what it would take in terms of results/success for the fans to believe that you had made the right decision. I hope this gamble pays off...

“Gerard and I felt things were starting to turn, we were getting people on side and the football and the performance levels were getting better.

“We felt the training and everything during the week was getting better as well.

“It was only when we were getting towards the end of the season we were seeing the fruition of that with some good football and some good results.

General,

The above are quotes to what McAllister has said on parting company with Aston Villa.. I too believe in what he says..

I think you have made a MASSIVE blunder and lost some very, very top drawer people in football. I dont think you realised what you had or what they were building at the club.. I hope you remember the wins against Arsenal and Liverpool at the end of the season..Because that was Villa at the begining of something.. It may be long time now before we ever get to that stage again..

General,

Would just like to say thanks for getting rid of McAllister, he has been terrible at pretty much every club he has been at and is almost a joke figure.

Two results against teams who werent really playing for anything and were winding down for their holidays by the time they played us does not mean anything.

General you seem surprised that fans aren't happy and for the life of me I can't understand why.

You said it yourself actions speak louder than words, and the actions of the club over the past 12 months have spoke massively.

First we allow ourselves to reach a point where after our best season in years we won't or can't invest.

We then lose our best player and a decent manager.

We appoint houllier who pretty much straight away gets on the wrong side of the fans and players.

While we're playing poor football and losing you tell us he is doing a remarkable job.

We pay out money to a manager who quit for some reason.

We cancel a meeting with mclaren because the fans don't want him

We are made to look like small time fools by dave whelan and are publicly dismissed by roberto martinez

We hire a manager who has been relegated twice in 3 seasons and who makes houllier look popular.

General actions do speak louder than words and I hope those actions start becoming a lot more positive.

Ralphy here:

An extremely disgruntled fan here after listening to our manager giving an interview on radio...

1) Big Eck says our aim is to finish higher than last year...Top 8. Where is the ambition in that??

2) We have to 'carefully' trade. Sounds to me like its a sell to buy policy this Summer? Its certainly what he is implying. No other club is worrying about 2013, this Summer. Just look at Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City- they will all spend BIG. Its the last chance to do so before the new regulations come into force. If we dont spend BIG we will get left further behind.

3)Eck's tactics- he doesnt believe he was negative at Birmingham. 37 goals says they were. We will not accept bland, boring football. We want to be excited, entertained especially if the aspirations of Top 4 are no longer there, which he suggested.

4)Paul Faulkner- where the hell was he today? After the most turbulent few weeks i can remember as being a Villa fan, the CEO cant be bothered to be there to attend the press conference and address the media and FANS. It seems to me that he is out of his depth. Since his arrival at the club, it seems we have regressed to the Ellis days. Can you explain exactly what his job role entails(maybe im being harsh) and the positive impact he has had on the club to change my mind?

I am willing to give it a chance after Big Eck's disappointing arrival, i really am. However, if Randy is no longer willing to spend 30-40mil(net) on transfers which Eck suggested, if he no longer believes we can get or even attempt to get Top 4 and his CEO cant even be bothered to show for the press conference...What message does all this send to the fans???

IF the Fans are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not buying tickets is counterproductive to that desire.

And I'd argue that appointing a manager who has seen two relegations in the past three and half Premier League seasons, who plays awful, awful football as counterproductive to enticing fans to buy their tickets. There is a point, General, when people have to say enough is enough. You can love the club and want them to progress whilst not backing the 'method' in which the club is trying to get success.

You were warned by fans that they didn't want McLeish, that it wasn't a manager people wanted to pay to watch in charge of Aston Villa FC. You were warned why people didn't want him. You chose to ignore that - and simply brush it off as the fact he resigned from Birmingham City, when in fact it was matters other than that.

Don't complain about the fans because you didn't listen to them.

I would love to agree with the few people who are supportive of this decision, but the fact remains, we on this site, ALL OF US, will be Villa fans until the day we die. FACT. As much as we would like to believe, the Board, The General, and RL are fans, they are not, and will not be when they leave.

I love the stories of RL having a Villa tattoo on his ankle, and if I moved to the states and had a billion dollars I may invest in a basketball team and have some fun, but would I ever be a fan, a true fan? A Supporter yes, but not a true fan. Football is more than anything for some of us, a passion of life. For RL, the Board and many others in football it is a business. One they probably love, and I am sure they do get very passionate about it, but lets face it, which club, run by a true fan would ever employ the manager of their nearest rivals, unless he was truly an exceptional candidate. No one.

So the Question remains...

General.

With as much respect as possible. I can only think of three reasons why you ignored the protests of the majority of the Villa fans:

1. You and RL don't care about the fans. Clearly not the case as you come on here.

2. You did not hear the fans or thought it was a minority? Again, clearly not the case, what more do we have to do to show that isn't true!?

3. You ignored us, because for you, this is a business, not a passion.

So it has to be 3, and for that reason, I am right now, unequivocally more upset about a decision anyone has ever made about this club, my club, the fans club. The ones who will be here long after you and the rest of the board have gone.

My final plea to you, please let AM and the board know the fans will give our support to the players. But for you, RL and AM to get this back, will take a long, Long LONG time. And a lot more than just a few empty promises, or one or two signings.

I hope in a few months time, I will re-read this feeling foolish after summer of investment and restored belief, I truly do. But I doubt any Villa fan will ever forget this period and the way we were ignored.

Ahh General okay if you take up McLeish's idea of an open fans forum like in the Holte Suite or something? - it would be a good idea for them to voice concerns or even 'anger' regarding his arrival and question regarding his style of football, I think he can take it, he's certainly a hard nut to crack.

When our new manager, who comes with two relegations out of three and half seasons in the premier league comes out and says our ambitions are to finish in the top ten this season, can you understand why fans are aprehensive and why our best players wish to leave the club for one which actually has ambition?

General,

I totally understand that we have a need to be run on a sounder financial footing as our owner does not have bottomless pockets.

That said the process of appointing our new manager has looked nothing short of a shambles and the owner and CEO have to shoulder the blame for this. Our owner for whatever reason has no-one on the board with a knowledge of the football industry which is shameful as neither he or the CEO have any knowledge at all prior to coming to my club.

I hope that the decision to appoint Alex McLeish proves to be a successful one as I do not want to see the calibre of manager would constitute our owners 3rd manager.

The appointment of Alex McLeish against the obvious and vociferous disagreement of the majority of the clubs fanbase I believe will prove to be a defining moment for Mr Lerner.

Will the current owner consider getting either a board member or preferably a new CEO with a football background.

General do you think the time has come to admit that given the fact that the fans are asking some pretty tough questions that you are unable to answer that Randy must himself address the fans?

You have said he does not believe in talking more doing I would argue actually talking to the fans and detailing his ambitions and how he feels he is going to achieve them would very much be doing.

General,

What a difference 12 months can make. We go from having MON as manager, two Wembley appearances and knocking on the door of the Champions League to farcical managerial appointments and knocking on the door of the Championship. Imagine what we could have done with the cash that is being spent on managerial compensation (MON, GH, Small Heath FC).

A lot of people outside Villa pointed to Randy and his board as an example of how foreign ownership could be done. Rediscovering our history and enhancing the infrastructure of the club at all levels.

Now everyone is pointing the finger at a group of individuals that look lost and way out of their depth. I'm not a fan of AM but now he has been appointed I will be backing him as he is the manager of my team. It's a shame no-one from the board was there at his press conference to show their backing (at the least Faulkner should have been by his side). Too scared to face the music ?? All I can say is he has bigger balls than any of you on the board.

Didn't Randy address a group of fans from the Cleveland Browns a year or so ago when there was a bit of upheaval around the place? If Randy won't meet the press, will he organise a meeting with leading members of Aston Villa fan organisations to answer or explain what he is trying to do? We seem to lack any kind of direction right now. Do we have realistic aspirations? A lot has changed in 10 months, from setting a champions league goal, to seemingly just setting a goal of finishing in the top half of the table.

If Randy can no longer afford to take the club forward, which is a big if (I say this as we feel in the dark with whats going on), would he consider looking for further outside investment? You'd think our club, being the biggest in the Midlands and the biggest in the countries second most populated city, would have potential to be massive if relative success was bought back to the club.

Anthony

General,

As a Villa fan like everyone on here I want them to succeed and do they best I can but honestly I don't really care how much or how little we are told. Fans are becoming like the modern day players; if they don't get what they want when they want it then they will stamp their feet and get red in the face. Thank Randy for me for putting his money into the company that he owns.

I'm sure a business man who is also a fan is going to make bad decisions so his company fails and it loses money. Because of course that would be in his and the clubs best interest.

As a fan I should be doing one thing and that is support the Club no matter what and I have done that to close to 40 years and will continue to do so. Of course I can have an opinion just like anyone else and I'm spouting that now but just like Doug before Randy is doing what he feels is best for his club. This may not be what everyone on this site wants but hey "You can make some of the people happy all the time, all of the people happy some of the time but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

One thing, If you could encourage AM to get rid of players quick sharp who don't wish to play for the Villa and get players in who do I would appreciate that.

General, I wondered if the club had a policy about our players posing with other teams colours while they are still under contract to us?

4bjKA.jpg

HgWhp.png

*edit*

The photo is not a fake. Downing has a normal left hand, he is gripping the scarf between his ring finger, his pinkie and the palm of his hand. His other two fingers are loose and the white tassels of the scarf are above his index finger.