The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

So in roughly the last 24 hours we've seen our kit being advertised by a sports shop with no details provided on the official site.

Now our assistant manager has left and again the club don't feel it's worth sharing with the fans.

The PR at the club is awful. The Board IMO just don't seem to have a clue - I think a handful of fans could probably do a better job.

i am not going to say welcome back believe me mcleist is not the man and are the fans once again liking general again i am not having a go at him or anyone but i would not fall on the words general saying.

General Krulak here:

More importantly, you will see "action" which is the way Randy has always operated...words mean very little but actions speak loudly.

indeed actions do speak louder than words general. unfortunately the actions of the last few weeks scream lack of ambition, incompetence, and of settling for mid table obscurity.

going a bit off topic, i'm sure you have said before that you have been to the training ground a few times and met the players. i know they have things like pool tables and darts to occupy them after training - have you ever played any of them at anything, and if so how did you do?

Hi General and Welcome Back. I'm hoping for a much better season than last. Anyway, my question for you is about old Villa Kits and bags, scarves, hats and stuff. I have been having a good clear out at home (for no reason other than to make space in my wardrobe!!) Anyway I have quite a lot of the above items. I thought I remembered that these things could be taken to the Shop at Villa Park and they would then go to help kids in foreign parts? Is that still so General do you know? If so, I'll take mine up on Saturday.

It should not be on a timeline...because if it is, one business will be at a disadvantage. It is like buying a car, NEVER go into a car dealership without the willingness to walk away if the deal isn't any good.

True if you are a financier, and incredibly wrong if you are in charge of a football club. Not having the sponsorship, or the kit, ready... once again... just screams unprofessionalism. It's not a surprise it's the Villa!

2. For those who continue to comment on the lateness of the kit or the issue of sponsorship let me remind you....the Club did NOT have anything to do with the lateness of the kit last year. NOT a SINGLE thing! As for the lateness or sponsorship now or at other times, we chose acorns (as you remember) because 1) those people who were bidding for sponsorship did not value the Club like we did and 2) we wanted to do something with our favorite charity. Yes, the decision was made late but we did it on purpose...NOT forced upon us like last year. Getting a sponsor is NOT like going to the grocery store. It is a business deal between two businesses...each seeking the best deal. It should not be on a timeline...because if it is, one business will be at a disadvantage. It is like buying a car, NEVER go into a car dealership without the willingness to walk away if the deal isn't any good.

You take your time then General or if we do go back to Acorns alot of people can save alot of money not bothering with buying this years kit?

Any more news on the pre-season tour and the direction you are heading to?

General Krulak here:

1. Well, it is good to see that I am still loved!! :winkold: I was not at the "protest" so I can't argue if someone says there were 1000+ fans there. I did see a picture and from what I saw, there weren't a 1000+ there...and the papers indicated a different number. BUT, I wasn't there so I will take you at your word. "THEIR CLUB"....yes, I know it is the Fan's Club from many points. At the same time, I think it is a bit over the top to say that it isn't Randy's Club or the Board's Club. I continue to make the point that "longevity" doesn't make a "true" fan. If that were the case, some of the most passionate fans I know wouldn't rate because of their youth. "Randy Stand" is a perfect example of a passionate Villa Fan who is under 21. Making a statement by not buying a season ticket? Absolutely within the right of EVERY fan to buy a ticket or not. IF the Fans are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not buying tickets is counterproductive to that desire...but again, it is up to the Fan. The personal insults to Randy, Paul, AM and myself...well, that comes with the territory. I personally believe that personal insults and disrespect is not the way any of us should act...no matter how angry we get...but, again, that is my feeling, a feeling obviously not shared by some. As for Randy communicating....I am not sure how many times I have to say that Randy is not one to "talk"...he is one to DO. You may not agree with all he does but you have to admit that he has put his resources into the Club and has made some major changes for the good.

Hi General,

I want to ask you a few questions about AM being a bluenose, protests, Paul Faulkner, kits and sponsors.

Not really. I was wondering, now the new manager is in, what approach the board and Alex might be taking towards our more coveted players and their futures? In the case of Ashley Young, is it as we were before the manager change over, or is there a possibility for more talks since we've taken a new direction? Also, in terms of the other coveted players, are we looking at talks towards new contracts?

I personally believe that personal insults and disrespect is not the way any of us should act....
I completely agree that personal insults and disrespect is not the way any of us should act, and I have not done that and I cringe when fellow Villa fans do do it, but on the same note do not you not think it is disrespectful that the board has not listened to the fan base regarding the appointment of the manager.

While you may argue it is but a few, I would argue that along with the protest, there has been the message boards, the radio talk ins, the press and general feeling amongst the fans and what seems the majority are not in favour of this appointment yet the board has decided to do it anyway. So surely that is disrespectful to the fan base? The fans, who are the lifeblood oif the club have pleaded through whatever means possible (some bad I agree) that they don't want this, yet the board have still gone ahead with it knowing that we as fans will turn up anyway because of our love for the club........surely that is disrespecting the wishes of the fan base? I know the Villa isnt a democracy and Villa fans have no say but when a key decision is being made and the fans are so opposed to it, it's strange the board ignores that.......disrespects that......would you not agree?

I was not at the "protest" so I can't argue if someone says there were 1000+ fans there. I did see a picture and from what I saw, there weren't a 1000+ there...and the papers indicated a different number. BUT, I wasn't there so I will take you at your word.

And the 16,822 fans on the we don't want Alex McLeish Facebook page don't count either?

I can tell you that ive spoken to many many Villa fans, and many many football fans, not 1 has said this is a good appointment not 1.

The club the General and the website and spin it all they like and get rent a quote ex players or managers or "Big Eck's" mates on the web site to say what a good manager he is. 2 RELEGATIONS IN 3 PREMIER LEAGUE SEASONS. It makes a mockery out of the board, the club and the fact we wanted premier league experience, his only experience is failing. Jesus this guy managed to get Rangers to finish 3rd in Scotland.

So in reality we cannot make our feelings known about the appointment? Will the board admit that this whole process of searching for a manager has been a farce and has made us look small time even as far as saying our previous regime would have handled it better. Just a point I made to PF which he still has failed to respond to, how can you go from Martinez to McLeish, one who plays continental football then to a manager who grinds out result? Just don't understand the whole selection process. You are also very naive in thinking a few fans are against it, there are thousands against it however the love of the club comes before Randy and his sidekicks. I have also noticed General, you cannot take any constructive criticism as you have ignored the sensible posts but made a point about abusive posts. We asked a simple on what Premier League credentials did McLeish get the job.

I personally believe that personal insults and disrespect is not the way any of us should act...no matter how angry we get...but, again, that is my feeling, a feeling obviously not shared by some.
You may have a point there, although I also think there are cultural differences at play there in terms of how views are expressed in the UK and USA.

However my point to you is that I take exception to being told that the Board is listening to fans by not interviewing Steve McClaren as a result of fans' reaction to his possible appointment, and then you go and appoint a man whose appointment would obviously stir up huge vehement opposition amongst fans (in fact no other potential appointment in the whole of world football would stir up as much opposition from Villa fans as Alex McLeish). The double-standard here is remarkable, and makes a mockery of the line that you in fact listened to fans reactions regarding Steve McLaren. I don't have a problem with the Board not taking fans views into consideration when making an appointment, but I do take issue when you say that you do and then the next moment choose to do the opposite. It seems to me that was just a good opportunity to curry favour with fans by using the fact that you didn't favour Steve McClaren anyway and dressing it up as "listening to fans".

Can you explain the double-standard in saying you listened to fans and not interviewed one manager as a result, yet the next moment you appoint a manager in spite of huge, almost universal, opposition from fans?

Then there was the nature of Mark Hughes' resignation from Fulham being used as an excuse for not pursuing him. Yet you go and employ Alex McLeish who resigned from BCFC by e-mail.

Was this a case of using the nature of Mark Hughes' resignation as an excuse to fans for either not wanting, or not being able to, pursue Mark Hughes (a very popular potential appointment amongst fans), and using it as a way to appear to be taking a 'moral' stance?

General, what has angered me most in this whole issue is not the appointment of Alex McLeish (even though I most definitely would not have wanted him) but the way in which the Board appears to have lied to us, the fans (with the reasons given regarding McClaren and Hughes). We're not fools General, we can spot double-standards, and we take great offence at being 'sold a line. We're not minions to be talked down to, and we won't tug our forelocks and just blindly accept what we're told, and we do not like being lied to. I think we're entitled to a bit more respect than that. That is why I, personally, am angry; not because McLeish has been appointed, but because of how the Board has treated us, the fans. That was well out of order, and won't be forgotten for a long time.

General Krulak here:

IF the Fans are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not buying tickets is counterproductive to that desire...but again, it is up to the Fan. The personal insults to Randy, Paul, AM and myself...well, that comes with the territory.

The club will struggle to progress under Randy Lerner because he dosnt have the knowledge..Yes he has spent the money and with a little more he "could" have challenged the top 4 again this coming season but he dosnt have the "knowledge" to do so..Its very frustating as a fan to sit and watch this going on with the club...Its like yes we have everything to get European football appart from the knowledge at the top....The fans are far more knowledgable on how this club works than the guys you have running it.. Thats been proven over how much you are spending to pay ex-managers off..Yet McLeish will be another manager likely to be paid off in the near future..Its like you love just throwing money away on a lost cause.

The none buying of season tickets is another way of protest, it hurts the fans to do such thing and they surely hope it dosnt fall on deaf ears.. It hurts them to support the club making wrong decissions, its like part of their money is being used to hire a relegation material manager. Part of their money is being used to purchase players like Wes Brown etc.. We have little say, we have no man on the board speaking for Aston Villa and what we stand for..All we can do is pray and hope that not buying a ticket sends out a message.

Hi General,

Just a quick question, is there any chance/plans to have the fixture list in a format where we can subscribe to it via iCal, Outlook etc.? It would be the perfect solution for myself and probably many others, especially when Sky change all the game times! I presume it would be fairly simple to implement, and would be a great help...

As for the appointment, I'll be supporting him and the team whatever his past. He's got 'guts', and that is exactly what we need!!! UTV

:flag:

Hi General

I think vital that you understand that there's a lot of Villa fans who are still 100% behind Randy. I have renewed and Alex McLeish is now a AVFC Manager and therefore deserves our full backing

My question is however; if this appointment goes wrong (and I hope it doesn't) what can we do differently next time to ensure the next appointment process isn't such a calamity?

Was Alex our first choice?

Have you factored in fewer season ticket sales? I hope fellow fans don't boycott because that will ultimately hurt the club

IF the Fans are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not buying tickets is counterproductive to that desire..

"IF" the board are truly interested in seeing the Club progress, I would opine that not listening to the fans knowing it would hurt ST sales, is counterproductive to that desire..

Don't put all the blame on the fans for low sales General, the writing was on the wall.