The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

I for one am glad you are speaking to the fans, it's unique and it gives us an insight to what's happening.

How's the season tickets going? Are we are on track? As I said before all 5 of us have renewed with 2 new season tickets, these 2 were purchased by some friends who wanted to show Randy support

UTV

General, when people are angry they are going to look to take their anger out and this is the perfect opportunity for them and these are a minority (imo).

If all the fans who appreciate what has been done by Randy and posted in this thread everytime they felt estatic about the club and to write how wonderful it was then this thread would be up to page number 142,643,253.

I would be very disappointed to see you leave the site although I would understand it to a certain extent.

Not sure if you are able to answer my question but roughly how much income would Villa have made from the Take That concert and are concerts something which you are looking at doing more regularly in off seasons?

Cheers :)

Hi General - welcome back.

In terms of the managerial appointment why was premier league experience seen as such a key criteria when all the top four managers last season didn't have it when they joined their clubs?

Would really appreciate an answer. Cheers.

Whilst I may get vilified for this, I actually don't see a purpose on you being on these boards in such a 'public' way through questions and answers.

You may well be a nice enough man, you may have the best intentions but the current method of communication just leads to ridiculous expectations and predictable responses. Whether through wish or requirement you can never give us answers to questions we really want to know from the Board.

Transfers - no go.

Business dealings - no go.

Managers - no go.

Team spirit - no go.

Club merchandise - yes... or just phone the shop.

And frankly, Nicky Keys would be of better use on here for these kinds of things.

You can only give, whether intended or not, very PR responses. You can tell us nothing that we couldn't find from other sources inside the club. You can never come on here and admit that (for example) that Downing is likely to leave or that we have to scale back investment - it's impossible to be so honest as the public face of Aston Villa.

So yes, I think it is a waste of our, and your, time being on here.

The plummeting trust in the board is not what inspires this post but just a pragmatic response to the realism of posting on a public forum and has been my view for a while.

Use this board for announcements by all means but Questions and Answers simply is not viable.

Well I for one want to hear from the General, however limited the scope for candour is. I see the value in it.

And I dont think Nicola Keye has the ear of Randy. The General is the only avenue to the board that we have and the only insight into the mind of a reclusive owner.

God knows the CEO is no communicator. Not to the fans anyway.

Sir, if you've a mind for it (and christ knows I wouldn't) please continue.

General Krulak here:

6. I am back on the site but I must confess that I think that people are so disenchanted that I doubt if we can really get much accomplished. As always, I will try to be as honest as I can...and present the Fan's opinions up the line...but I am not sure how much faith anyone has in what I am trying to do for the Club and the Fans and if that is the case, then I don't want to waste your time or mine. I am willing to give it a go but only if its truly is valuable to you, the Fans, and to the Club. The ONLY reason I came on this site so many years and posts ago was to help the Club and the Fans.

General,

Good evening, I'm not sure that fan disenchantment is a reason to cut off a stream of communication. That appears a little counter intuitive to me. I'm also not sure if there was a question in there that you intend to use the answer too? Was it rhetorical or will you count up the vox pop of responses? I suppose at present that could give you an 'out' just at the time it all appears to be turning a little sour. But that would surely be the polar opposite of everything you say the current leadership stands for?

For what it's worth I believe you should stay. It's a unique link, and both sides need to be grown up and know there will be times when opinions differ. On the fans side, some need to get a grip and calm down. On the Club's side, they appeared not to have a plan for explaining their thinking back there. If the managerial appointment pays off then my word, you guys will be able to do absolutely anything in the future and point at this moment. Of course, if the appointment doesn't work....well, I'm sure you've experienced flack.

General, I was wondering if there might be any other pre-season friendlies still in the works or is our pre-season program currently finalised as it stands?

General

I think Paul Merson say it the best. Please read this use short links (hope the club could answer this)

Cause i really dont think the board understand. Me for one, think the things Randy have done for the club is great. But when breaking a promise made in late 2006, about listening to the fans everything suddenly changed. And now. Where are we? Why did we become a selling club? Why can't the club compete for the european cups? Cause of the players? Cause of MON? cause of the fans? Cause of Man City who captured Barry and Milner?

Or do the people in charge have a responebility?

This club have lost the following england internationals. Barry, Milner, Young (and maybe downing) We have replaced them whit who?

Sorry for lame english :) cheers !

General..... stay!! I can't say anymore than that.

The last 12 months have been an absolute disastar and then Randy goes against the wishes of 99% of all Villa fans with AM. There is no way out of it but to hang on in there, replace the departing players with ones that have appeal and then get off to a good start. If that happens all will be slowly forgotten and your thread will return to normal, Of course a bad start and the revolt will truley begin. I trust in Randy that he wants nothing more than the very best for Villa so people that think otherwise are wrong but I do question if he realizes what he potentially has done. I will support him and Villa but if I was the owner I would never in a million years have taken the club in the direction he has. ..... it just wasn't worth the risk.

I look forward to at least 1 more year of your posts.

Hi General,

Completey new question

What's happened to American Sports and sports people? I went to high school and college in the states ( go Bama!) and the states dominated in most sports but now you struggle I.e golf, boxing, tennis, athletics etc just interested on your take as to why this is the case?

I also have a totally different question....

Will we be announcing any further partnerships during the summer? I have seen that Thomas Cook are no longer our sponsor - is it likely that another partner will come in and replace them, and do you think that we will see more than one new partner join our stable of "platinum partners"?

Thanks

Happy 4th of July to you and your family General. Same goes to Randy and his family.

Good to see you back. My question is more a plea not to answer the "will AM be given money to bring in players" type questions. We all know that the media read this and I don't think it is a good idea to braodcast that the manager is going to be backed by this or that amount for them to tell the world how much we have to spend. I am sure Randy can see that losing 14 players and bringing 0 in isn't great for business!

What will be, will be. I am getting my season ticket this week and that is my prerogative. It doesn't matter to me how many players you buy/sell as I am still going to be there. The actions of the club may change my actions in the future but as for now I have the money so will be buying my ticket with the hope that Randy isn't blind to the fact that our squad needs additions if we are to compete at the level he seeks.

Best Wishes General and have a good holiday.

I have one question General that seems not to have been answered.

During the managerial selection process, Steve McClaren was left out of the process due to Randy taking the fan opinion into account. Why was Alex McLeish then appointed who had an even greater outburst of opinion against him?

I am not saying that Randy doesnt have the right to appoint him, but why did that opinion from the fans change in a matter of days?

General Krulak here:

1. The key question asked is, "Will Randy support AM during transfer window?" The answer can be given in two parts 1) When has Randy not supported his Manager? and 2) Yes, Randy will support AM. He will support AM as he has supported all of his Managers...he will work to keep the wage bill at a manageable level and, at the same time, will recognize where the Club needs to be strengthened and support the Manager in meeting those needs.

2. I am on holiday for the 4th of July....which is a weekend, not just one day. Call it a "Bank Weekend."

3. "Premiership experience" was NOT a KEY criteria...it was simply something that we were looking for. I think the rationale is pretty obvious...the understanding of the ins and outs of the Premiership. It was NOT a KEY criteria.

4. jackbauer24: You raise some valid points...not sure I would agree with them but so be it. As an example, I just answered a "Transfer Question" above. I would also say that MUCH has been accomplished through Villa Talk and this thread. Simply put, MUCH has been passed up the line from the Fan's perspective. Over the years I have spoken to many volatile issues....to the degree that I have even found myself on the sports pages of the UK papers. I would not agree that I haven't been up front when I could be.

5. Tjab: Not sure what you mean about "breaking a promise made in late 2006". I think we have tried to adhere to every promise made. "Selling Club?" Barry and Milner....As if we didn't try to keep these two players...as if we didn't try to sign them to a new contract. Totally not true. At some point, a decision needs to be made or you lose the value of the player...simple as that. If the player does not sign the new contract and wants to go, you need to recognize your situation. Downing? Again, rumors that I would only ask that you acknowledge are rumors and not fact. As for who have we replaced with who...let's start with Bent.

6. "Steve McClaren was left out of the process due to Randy taking the fan opinion into account." I am not sure where you came up with that but, although it will make some Fans angry, Football Management does not choose Managers based on "fan opinion." That would not be a smart thing to do. It may be very popular with the fans but it would not be smart.

"Steve McClaren was left out of the process due to Randy taking the fan opinion into account." I apologise if I have gotten this wrong, however it is how it was reported all over the Uk regarding the matter, and Steve McClaren was also quoted as saying he had a meeting set up with villa only for us to cancel it.

May be all mis-quoted press rubbish, but it is all us fans have to go on as the club has been pretty silent throughout the summer!

General Krulak here:

1. The key question asked is, "Will Randy support AM during transfer window?" The answer can be given in two parts 1) When has Randy not supported his Manager? and 2) Yes, Randy will support AM. He will support AM as he has supported all of his Managers...he will work to keep the wage bill at a manageable level and, at the same time, will recognize where the Club needs to be strengthened and support the Manager in meeting those needs.

So, if Mcleish wanted 15 million for a player he thought would move us on, but only 10 million was available because we have to reduce the budget, Mcleish would be forced to sell another player, to make up the shortfall?

Heres an idea for you.

Why not just give Mcleish want he needs for the summer to bring in some decent players, then sit back and watch more people renew their season tickets, and others become season ticket holders.

Watch an increase in demand for tickets, and witness an upsurge in corperate hospitality, and advertising....

Then settle the wage deficit.

Speculate to accumilate General......speculate to accumilate :winkold:

General Krulak here:

"Premiership experience" was NOT a KEY criteria...it was simply something that we were looking for. I think the rationale is pretty obvious...the understanding of the ins and outs of the Premiership. It was NOT a KEY criteria.

So it was key in a way :?

Happy 4th of July General.

Can I ask what the situation is with us announcing our Home and Goalkeeper kits? I'd have thought it was being delayed pending our sponsorship issues but now that we have Genting on board, is there anything else holding this back? If there isn't and it's just a PR decision, can I ask why we are always so late in announcing things? Is it an agreement with Nike?

Sorry but I just love seeing our new kits. I know there are more important things going on at the moment but I get so frustrated when the majority of other Premier League teams have announced their new kits months before we have. I just wonder why we don't announce home, away and goalkeeper kits all at the same time?

Thanks,

Ginko

General Krulak here:

1. ulstervilla: I would simply say that you can't always believe what you read. At the end of the day, my comment stands...the Steve McClaren was not "left out of the process" because of Fan input. That may not make some fans happy but it is the truth.

2. ChrisNichollsToe: I would simply say that your "idea" is basically what Randy has done for the past 5 years. When have you seen Randy not open his wallet? NOT just for players but for Villa Park and for Bodymoor Heath. Please do not confuse a transfer fee with on going wages. They are not the same and have a different impact on the fiscal health of a Club. This is NOT just a case for AVFC but for any Club. As for the increase in Season Tickets...to be honest, we have not seen a large increase in season tickets even when we had a good season or a good signing....the numbers just haven't fluctuated that much. To count on a large increase in season tickets based on a player is NOT the path we should take...and no other Club should take it either.

3. steaknchips: I think that is what I said.

General,

Glad you've stuck around and continuing to post on VT.

My question is - are there any plans to have a preseason friendly at Villa Park akin to recent seasons in which we've seen Valenica, Fiorentina and Inter Milan visit???

many thanks!