The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

Do the words relegation mean anything to you?

The board is a joke!

Time to get on your AA flight out of here!

The money I have paid to watch Villa and the shirts etc I have also paid my hard cash for and you do this!

BYE!

GET OUT

Hi General

Yet again, I find myself really disappointed by the lack of communication coming from my club to its fans. It can't have escaped your notice that the fans are not happy with Randy's decision to talk with McLeish, let alone what would happen if he were to be appointed. To disregard this, IMO, shows a complete lack of respect for the fans and a failure to recognise and understand the nature of a european football club. Sure Randy owns the club and, as a consequence can theoretically run it how he sees fit, but disillusion the fans and you risk there being no club. Utd had a strong enough fan base and revenue/player draw to survive the loss of fans post Glazer. I don't think the Villa could!

I fear that Randy's desire to surround himself with cronies that know very little about the business of football and have no affinity to Villa has backfired once more and will potentially do irreparable damage to his relationship with the fans.

Personally, I don't think McLeish is a bad manager. The Noses were probably too good to get relegated in the season just ended but that could be put down to bad luck and lack of support if you wanted to be very generous. However, I certainly wouldn't be calling him an outstanding candidate and, given his stint at Blues, it just defies logic to me as to why Randy and Faulkner would want to even engage with him.

For me this is a dark day for the club and signals what could potentially be a very worrying period. I have been a ST holder for 15 years + I think but have not renewed yet and probably will not if McLeish is our manager. This is not because he was a Nose but because I want to be entertained when I go to football and I don't want to be upset every weekend because my team has not fulfilled its potential. I believe that, for various reasons including McLeish's managerial style, this would be the outcome of his appointment.

I hope the ground swell of opinion is sufficient to make Randy look elsewhere.

General, why do you always dissapear when things are rough?

You slag the fans.. the heart of a club.. for a manager who has a poor history. You dont listen to the fans. May as well shut this thread down. Pointless.

Since Faulkner has come in.. this club has just become a farce. Randy and the Board care? Yeah right.. Clearly most fans are not happy with this appointment and it seems to be going ahead anyway.

Complete and utter disrespect to the fans. I dont want to see an empty Villa Park.. but it is inevitable. God help you all if there is a 3-0 opening day loss to a promoted club... BEWARE. Board and McLeish will have no friends and will be hounded out like Doug Ellis was.

Sanchez Flores supposedly wants the job.. one of the most promising young managers in Europe with one of the best number 2's in the game as his assistant.. and we ignore him for a manager who relegates clubs (Motherwell as well as Birmingham..) and has won the scottish league (big woop)....

Well pissed off.

Gen,

What's wrong with these Loony owners appointing managers their fans don't want?

Without the fans - there is no club. Liverpool did it with Hodgson - and we almost paid the ultimate price!

Madness.

General,

i was just wondering why you are so adamant about the next manager having Premier League Experience? This is the strangest thing i have ever heard and i don't know of any other club that insists on this? Did Sir Alex have PL experience before he went to United? Did Moyes have PL experience before he went to Everton? Did Wenger? Did Mourinho? Ancelotti? Hiddink? i could on General as the list of successful managers over the last 20+years without previous experience is far greater than the list with!

Reports in the paper today are suggesting Quique Sanchez Flores wanted the Job, to rule someone like that out because they don't have premier league experience is stupidity. Names like Rijkaard, Klinsmann, Van Gaal all ruled out because they don't have PL experience, you'd even rule out Guardiola from Barca?? instead you would consider the likes of McLaren, McLeish, Curbishley, Allardyce etc because they have experience in the PL??? this just doesn't make sense to me on either a football or a business sense as they are all average managers that have won little between them and don't even play attractive football!

As for the Talk on Mcleish, obviously if you do appoint him i will, like most, give him my full support and give him a chance. However i really can't see where he can take us? The fact that he was Blues manager has nothing to do with the anger shown on here by a lot of fans, frankly the majority don't give a flying f... that he managed them, the reason is quite simply that his record as a manager in the premier league is very very poor, he has taken them down in 2 of the last 4 seasons. Ok so this meets your premier league credentials, but surely you also have on there that they need to be half successful too? That's like getting the cleaner to do your accounts because she has experience of the company!

Surely General if we can't get the quality of manager we want at the club with PL experience, then surely it must be time to look abroad at the top managers over there and the type of foreign talent that they can bring into the club? After all we don't limit the players to having PL experience so why do we limit the manager?? It really doesn't make sense at all and whoever has advised you that this must be the case really is going to hurt/limit our club!

I still trust Randy and yourself as all you've done so far with our club is good things and you have, and always will have, my 100% backing and support, however i do think that you are taking poor advice from somewhere and its hindering your attempts to get this club where you and all us fans want it, challenging for trophies year after year.

hopefully you haven't been scared off here yet General and have had a chance to read my post, and hopefully we'll see you back online in the near future!

Regards

Wayne

Gen, here's a new five year plan:

Develop the Holte, Trinity and Ellis stands so that they match the North.

Buy all the reject players from our neighbours.

Charge away fans 60 quid a ticket.

Sell our shirt sponsorship to F&C for 20 quid a year.

then maybe after that we can sell the club off to someone from Hong Kong.

General,

I am not gonna sit here and scream and shout over the appointment of the man who got our arch rivals relegated twice, if he's the right man for the job the great lets have him at our club instead of theirs! HOWEVER, my job (stats at games) took me to many games in the Midlands over the last few years including (unfortunately) a few trips to the sty (god job the money is good). 'Big Eck' plays the most horrific, turgid style of football you can imagine, completely unambitious, grinding, defensive, cautious football you could imagine. You mention the resources, I believe he spent over £40m on players and pretty much built the team. They have been relegated TWICE, and the league cup win(home ties against Brentford, MK Dons and Rochdale) is hardly impressive.

This appointment will be a dark day for Aston Villa, and I'm afraid I will be ashamed to think Randy and the rest of you would even consider this type of appointment.

General,

Please do not ever say to us you and Randy are FANS because the actions you have shown are not of supporters but a business, can you please tell Paul to respond to my emails instead of getting Nicole Keye to be a mouthpiece, pretty sure Faulkners experience is Customer Service so should be able to answer a few fans questions. I will never post in this or read this topic again, you and your friends are ripping the soul of this great club, stick your scarves, your badges what other marketing ploy you have for us to fork money out. You have NO ambition and the sooner you admit that Randy is downsizing the better and admit that they have changed.

As a matter of fact is doesn't even make good busines senses, it seems to make no sense on any level at all! General we are highly dissappointed and deflated. We are ASTON VILLA for christs sake, there is no way in hell we could/can not find a manager with a better pedigree and pull than Alex McCleish. Although Martinez was also not a "big name" I think most fans were more willing to give him a chance as it seemed like a more ambitious move. The fact that McCleish was managing the Blues is not our main gripe here... it is merely rubbing salt into an already gaping wound! If the board is considering revenue, sponsorship, fan satisfaction, profile, pull, then this is without a doubt the most ridiculous appointment to potentially take place! There are without a doubt a plethora of managers out there who could do better, "fit" with the club, deliver results and appease the fans equally. If discontent, lower profile, dull football and our best players leaving is our current "ambition" then you've certainly found the right "fit". Having said that I hope to be proven wrong and have egg all over my face.UTV!

General,

I refer you to my message of last week.

Appointing a manager is a difficult job. Please ask Mr Lerner to go with his instincts and hire someone that he feels a connection with, he can work with, he can support, and who will have Aston Villa as his 100% focus in the years to come.

For my part I will offer my support to the new manager, whoever that may be, and continue to support Mr Lerner and Aston Villa in the hope that we can all move forward together in a positive fashion.

General, Morning Sir, Whilst I'm not going to stoop as low as to tell you or the board to F Off or P Off like some have, do you really understand why us fans are so incensed over all of this, a) this man is just not good enough for Villa, and B) regardless that some say that it doesnt matter well it does, he comes from our fiercest hated rivals, people go the other way from Villa to Blues when we deem them not good enough i.e Gardner/Ridgewell/Phillips/Davies not the other way around, as you can see from my avatar I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan now if someone from the Ottawa Senators was to come to Toronto I'd expect a little ripple of displeasure from the fans and it would be the same across all of USA/Canada whatever league whether it be the NHL/NBA/NFL they are rivals for a reason but I for one minute don't believe there are any other rivalries in any sport that match the hatred of two rivals in football, so surely after being here for 5-6 years or so the board know it is so so wrong to get McLeish from our nearest rivals, as Ive said in a different thread I really think Randy is going for the cheap option as he doesnt intend to bankroll the club anymore and he will be sure that he doesnt have to pay compensation first before finally committing the ultimate sin of appointing McLeish....What a sad day for Aston Villa F.C

General,

I am sure this will get lost in here at the moment. But could I ask you a question; once the dust has settled and Big Eck is in place, will you and Randy still love all that is Villa as much as you did 5 years ago? I am worrying that the idiotic fan reaction has caused long term damage and thoughts of 'why are we bothering' may creap in?

I look forward to a new era in Villa history, a successful era, with Randy, yourself and Big Eck...still not sure about our CEO though

UTV.

General I am not happy with the appointment if it happens but I am a Villa fan and will not do anything that would be detrimental to it, I hope that this works out but what I will say is that if AM does take this job then he must have some real balls which impresses me, Randy must share the same on the "balls" stakes as this could make him or break him as an owner.

P.S Any chance of as half season ticket for the beginning of the season if you are so confident that he will do ok? :winkold:

General,

Have you noticed that fans are now fighting between themselves? It's just the start of it. You wait to see what happens when his long ball, crap football leads to the many losses that this club will have next year.

The club says without a shared vision, an appointment will fail. Which asks one question really. Do you believe that the fans are a part of this football club?