The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

Will Randy Lerner actually speak about the shocking managerial decision? I think it's about time he came forward and spoke for himself. We need to hear something from the top for once.

General emotions were running high and I think some things were said that were meant yet not put across in the best of ways. I actually think you did the best thing staying away as have learnt over the years as it would not of helped the situation and people have now had time to regroup and hopefully decide to back the team and manager. Randy, Alex and yourself have really put your reputations on the line here so I really hope it pays off for you as we can reap the benefits.

Has Randy lost his passion for Villa? Not in my opinion

Has he made a stupid appointment, well time will tell but I hope not.

Hi General

Please can I have some answers to the following questions:

(1) The club's PR has been poor for a while now - what plans do the Board have to improve this?

(2) The club failed to provide kits on time for the previous season and there has been a lack of communication this time around - what are the expected dates?

(3) In terms of sponsorship what timeframe are we working to? When do we hope we can make an annoucement on this?

(4) The managerial decision process mentioned "premier league experience" as a key critera in the choice. Given that the top 4 managers in the league didn't have premier league experience when they joined their clubs do you agree that our restrictive stance seems a bit naive/silly?

(5) The club has just alienated a large portion of the fanbase with the managerial appointment which one would expect will lead to less people at matches and less merchandise being purchased. Are the Board therefore maximising the club's revenue by upsetting and annoying thousands of fans?

My personal opinion is that the Board are doing a very poor job, show little if any leadership, little communication, the thought process often seems muddled and I fear for where the club is heading.

Proud History, Bright Future.

Proud History, 12 months Horror show from the Board for me.

General, please don't use terms such as:

"Randy backs his managers"

or

"Randy has a tattoo"

When replying to people. We know this, we don't need that shoved down our throat as a swerved answer. Can you please give is the cold, hard facts about the future of this club, your ambitions and desires for the next five years.

Thank you.

General

First time poster here, and considering I joined this site two weeks ago, my post has changed drastically. I joined wanting to tell you how ridiculous for managers like Ancelotti, Rijkaard, Benitez being available and for us to not go for them, and , now I can post, it turns out to be the worst nightmare of virtually every fan to ever support our football club.

However, as The Dubliners say "What's done is done, what's won is won, and what's gone is gone and gone forever". So we now have to just accept it has happened and move on.

Personally, I have these thoughts. I will NEVER , EVER, forget what the board has done this week. I have no option but to back Alex McLeish and his team now he is in, but, Randy Lerner, yourself, and, in particular Paul Faulkner have lost my total resperct. I went into the end of last season believing no matter what happened, your team understood our football club, our fans, our history - and treasured it. As you said "We are the mere custodians". Well, I have realised you have no concept of what this club is about. To me, you (Randy) are just another owner of a football club. I would like to know who made this decision, as, from the outside , it looks like Mr Faulkner is the day to day boss - and I can tell you now, whether Mr Lerner or yourself accept it or not - since he has come to this club, there has been a poisonous atmosphere - it cannot be a coincidence. From one catastrophe to another (kits, sponsors, olympics / ground evelopments / internal relations / external relations - it has been abysmal.

We do not know the facts, but from the outside, and speaking for fans I mix with and know - Mr faulkner is not welcome at our club.

Now, as I said, I have no option but to give McLeish as much support as I can possibly muster (and I cannot promise that !). However, I would hope you do the same. We have no goalkeeper, we have no right back, we have a centre back pair that might as well be called The Chuckle Brothers - we need replacements.

We also have a winger / forward leaving the club. I can take that, a) I understand there isn't a lot we can do, B) I don't think we will miss him that much anyway - Albrighton can become as good and a whole lot more.

However, there are rumours of Bent / Downing being unhappy. I can tell you now, if they are sold, the scenes you saw at Villa park will be nothing compared to what would happen.

I cannot believe Randy has put himself in this position. From saviour to universally disliked in one week. If further damage is done, the atmosphere at Villa Park will be venomous. It is absolutely gobsmacking really.

I know I have posted a long post, but as it my first one, I wanted you to know how I am feeling, and, if possible, would like to finish with a question.

Since 2006, Randy Lerner has either lost or settled out of court in many "tribunals". From my understanding, a historian successfully won a case, MON settled, GH according to reports threatened to sue as he believed he was fit and we settled, B'ham now have a case, and presume we will pay out one way or the other, and I think there were other cases, that I cannot remember details off the top of my head.

Doesn't this suggest that whomever manages this side of the business , is not very good at their job, and if so , why are they still employed at our club - because whomever that person is, is making us out to be a laughing stock. I have a suggestion,if this person has cost us over 12 million pound, as suggested in out of court settlements, sack this person, get someone in who can do the job properly, and on my reckoning, with the money you save you can let 25000 season tickets be given away FREE ! (yes, thats how ridiculous that sum of miney is)

General, new(ish) fan here, born in the UK, raised in Canada. Coming to hopefully see The Villla for the first time this fall. I'm 48, wife, son, two grandkids. Employed in the technology sector. I've been following The Villa now since MON arrived and around the time the new ownership took over. Lots of good developments indeed and improvements.

I'm new to The Villa but been following English football as a neutral since before I left the UK in 1973.

Obviously, as with most here, I am shocked by the rashness and apparent panic of this managerial appointment and the brinkmanship it demonstrates to the customer base of the business. I am concerned that this appointment seems to reveal an almost catastrophic misunderstanding of English football culture. I heartily encourage the board to reconsider the sources of some of the advice they are receiving, and begin to consider surrounding themselves with advisors who are more familiar with the game as it has always been in England. I realise that it would be easy for you to answer me with an indication that obviously you are surrounded by knowledgeable people with their hearts in the game, but this astonishing appointment of Mr. McLeish for this club indicates the weakness of your defence.

My question for you then, Mr. Krulak, is as follows.

Since Martin O'Neill left Villa Park, a great number of awful and, for the large part avoidable, incidents have occurred involving managerial departures, arrivals, managers with their affections firmly tied to other clubs, bust-ups with senior playing staff, gaffes and a seemingly amateur and in some ways naive way of conducting matters. Will you now, after this abysmal and embarrassing turn of events, consider giving Mr. Faulkner the sack, as he should be the one held responsible for many of the sad and, in this last case, horrendously divisive and unprecedented decision.

yours sincerely, Gary J Parker, Victoria BC Canada

Up The Villa

PS: I continue to cheer for my team and will support this manager as he commences his duties and as long as I see him being beneficial to Aston Villa's success. This decision, though, flying in the face of everything logical and sensible, has critically shaken a previously rock solid faith in what the board has attempted to accomplish since taking over the reins. We seem to have surely taken a significant step backwards and the fanbase has been further divided and shaken.

All i want General, is to hear a true assesment of where the clubs owners (you) percieve the club to be. Do you see us as a mid table team, or something better. Do you ever see us challenging for the toop four, and when.

Is Randy still dedicated to the club, or is he looking to sell?

No PR, no bullshit, just open and frank.

You might win back some respect if you were to do that, and a lot of us might not feel like we are being treated as mugs :evil:

Can I ask who the key advisors are that advise the board? I assume we have spoken to many many people but there is always close key advisors in any big decision in a business, who were ours on this managerial appointment?

Gerneral,

Could you please explain what we are able to view and order the new away top on a sportswear site before we get any official release from the club?

Not very professional is it?

General Krulak here:

1. I have kept off the Boards for the past couple of weeks for a very simple reason....with passions running so high, there was nothing I could say that would ever alter the feelings of most people who post on the site. I have seen Randy go from "loved" to "hated"...I have seen Paul Faulkner takes massive amounts of grief...I have taken head shots and body blows (no surprise there)...I have seen a FEW fans on the steps of the Holte protesting THEIR OWN Club and I have seen people taking shots at a Manager who wasn't even named. So for me to come on the Boards would have been crazy...probably still is. I think you will be hearing quite a bit from the Club in the next couple of weeks...from the Manager and from the Board. More importantly, you will see "action" which is the way Randy has always operated...words mean very little but actions speak loudly. In all of the passion, upheaval and comments the two people who have kept their cool have been Randy and AM...they have done what they needed to do...said what needed to be said at the time. NOW, it is simply a case of watching what happens next season....do we win? The issue of the "right choice" for Manager will be decided over the coming seasons. What I do know for certain is that Randy and the Board are going to be behind AM 110%...he will be supported and encouraged along the way. We hope and pray that the Fans will give the same encouragement and support but whether they do or not, WE WILL.

2. For those who continue to comment on the lateness of the kit or the issue of sponsorship let me remind you....the Club did NOT have anything to do with the lateness of the kit last year. NOT a SINGLE thing! As for the lateness or sponsorship now or at other times, we chose acorns (as you remember) because 1) those people who were bidding for sponsorship did not value the Club like we did and 2) we wanted to do something with our favorite charity. Yes, the decision was made late but we did it on purpose...NOT forced upon us like last year. Getting a sponsor is NOT like going to the grocery store. It is a business deal between two businesses...each seeking the best deal. It should not be on a timeline...because if it is, one business will be at a disadvantage. It is like buying a car, NEVER go into a car dealership without the willingness to walk away if the deal isn't any good.

I hope your right about Lerner and AM.. as fans we want the best for the club.. whether AM is that person remains to be seen, a few positive signings and a good start on results will see alot of fans (including myself) find myself supporting him (that bit more)

Why doesn't Lerner come out and speak in public? Will he ever do a Q&A session on AVTV for example? we know very little on our chairman as fans..

Well **** me sideways, welcome back.

No offence General, but I've not heard a peep from Randy through all of this.

Plus, my friend, people were not protesting against THEIR OWN CLUB. They were protesting against YOU and this bat shit crazy decision. And there were more than a few you condescending....person. There were a thousand, on a Wednesday afternoon in Aston. You only have to read this board and the many others like it to see the overwhelming majority were/are against the board on this one and will forever remain so. Even if Alex pulls a blinder, you stuck your fingers up to us and now we're sticking them right back.

No amount of PR will have me buying the season ticket I promised myself. It's the only way I can vote.

Fair play to you for returning, shows some balls even if I don't agree with a single word of it. Hope you've had a good weekend Gen.

David.

So any actual hard details on the kit release/sponsor then? Or still up in the air?

Great words re: AM and the attitude towards the board, general please bear in mind that there are alot of numbers still behind the board and who will back AM just as much. Please dont lose sight of that.

UTV!

good to see you back general

you are no doubt right in what you say. the backing of the board for AM is essential.

but whatever you say will not be accepted by some and swallowed without criticism by others.

myself, i dont understand how this appointment came about.

don't think it will work, these things rarely do

but i will be desperate to have to eat a large slice of humble pie when the season kicks off

i have my season ticket (well i'm waiting for it to physically come) and cant wait for august

General

All four of the top managers last season didn't have premier league experience when they joined their club. Please can you explain the logic of our restrictive stance which formed part of our managerial search criteria?

I think the club has a lot of bridges to build with the fans. You've let the fans down BIG time and trust in the Board is at an all time low.

Let's hope the Board up the performance in the 11/12 season as in the national media we've been turned into a laughing stock. The managerial search was embarrassing and painful to watch.

If only the role of the Board of directors was just spending money.

General,

Fair play for coming on here, I admire it..

FEW FANS in capitals I notice? mmmm Is that suggesting its just the minority that are not happy? It could easily be 50k fans protesting if thats what would send out a clearer message on how at least 90% of us feel atm.

WE WILL in captitals...Nice to see your on "your own" side.. No family, or "we are in this together" with you lot anymore I see.. Its certainly becoming a us and them relationship.

THEIR OWN CLUB in capitals too..Its about the only thing you got right. Our grandfathers and forefathers were supporting this club before your family even knew of its existance. And you wonder why we get hurt as fans?

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS...I would say you got that right too since you tell us naff all.. We had to find out G'Mac has left the club by a sky sports video. Not from the club!