The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General

What are the players being fed in the Bodymoor canteen as Stewart appears to have at least 7 fingers on his left hand?

Bully

Those are white scarf tassles. This ain't no fake.

General, can I echo The_Rev's enquiry as to the club's policy/disciplinary process on such matters?

General... you say that Randy isnt a talker but he takes action.

What action is he showing us? Hiring a manager with a poor record (gloss it up all you like..). There were so many better managers available.. and it appears McLaren Martinez and McLeish were heading the list.

The action appears to be aiming low.. selling Ashley Young and Downing (inevitable).. after selling Barry and Milner. Wheres the ambition?

Your going to back the manager? The manager has no idea how to take a club as big as Aston Villa forward. No disrespect to him.. he looks like a great man.. but Rangers is like taking over a team in a 2 horse race and he finished 3rd once....

I dont think he has the ability to bring in Bent or Makoun type players.. If we couldnt find a top class manager we should have stuck with Houllier.. at least he could have signed some decent players.. rather than Wes Brown/DJ Campbell/Seb Larsson.. very very average players at best.

I understand he was sick but he should have been given time with Gary Mac doing okay towards the end of the season. I think McLeish needs a director of football.. could that be an option? Maybe when Houllier gets better as he seemed very transfer savvy.

Tell me something to get me excited about the new season.. at the moment i cant find any. The managers words failed to aspire me.

General,

I know it may sometimes be difficult with the media and their prying eyes, but..

Will you ever actually answer a question with a straight answer? Rather than constantly beating round the bush...

General,

Some kind words in the press today from Houllier.. He mentions the club, McLeish, the players, the fans etc, all in a good possitive light. Seems a really genuine guy thats sad to leave the club.. I was wondering if the club could get him on board to do some scouting for us? He would also be a great guy to have around for advice on bringing in some top coaching staff from the continent. His contacts and knowledge in the game are 2nd to none and he would deffinately help the club move forward.. If we could get him scouting for some of best raising talents in France and beyond, he would really open doors for us..Something you could sugest to Mcleish maybe? He would also be a great guy to have around our youngsters coming through the acadamy, teaching them and our coaching staff the technical side of the game from an earlier age?

Look how Lyon, Marseille etc can still stay at the top level, yet they sell world class players season after season to all the rich Clubs overseas. They have a production line churning out star quality players every season. Would be very prosperous if we could get a similar system set up at Villa..Houllier would have all the connections to do this.

General,

It would take a professional less than 5 minutes to determine that picture of SD holding the Liverpool scarf is REAL. Hurry up and get rid of him.

I'd say the opposite, it's so clearly fake it's unbelievable.

I've given you some abuse on here in the past General (let's face it, who hasn't?), but please don't do anything rash with Downing until something is actually bloody proven.

Now, I was angry about McLeish being appointed, as I am sure a lot of fans were, however, the noises he's making I am quite enjoying. If he proves me, and a lot of others, wrong by playing some good attacking football with us rather than the tedious crap he was playing at Birmingham and gets us results in the process, then I will be happy as anything to eat my humble pie.

In fact, on the Downing thing, even if something is proven, give him a smack on the wrist and continue trying to get the bloke to stay... Arsenal haven't sacked/sold/fined Fabregas yet as far as I'm aware!

Stuff Liverpool by the way, this selling our players to our main competitors has got to stop, could you see Liverpool selling Gerrard to Tottenham? (Lets face it, we can't really say they're competing on Chelsea's level yet)... Selling to Man United is all well and good (well, I'd rather we keep our players but you know what I mean!), but selling to people we see as our competitors for top 6 (Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City) has got to stop.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. Cheers for reading.

General,

It would take a professional less than 5 minutes to determine that picture of SD holding the Liverpool scarf is REAL. Hurry up and get rid of him.

And don't pay him until he's gone. We signed him when he was badly injured too.

To be fair, it was us who injured him! :lol:

General sir, couple of questions that seems to have gone amiss, which is not strange considering the amount of posts stacking up in this thread.

1. It is no secret that the criteria "Premier League experience" has been of great significance to the board in our search for a new manager (in fact to the point where 2 relegations in 3 seasons is a good enough return of said experience). Why is that, when almost every single success story in the history of this league has proven it ain't all that important?

2. How can the board go from a manager like Roberto Martinez to a manager like Alex McLeish in the space of a couple of days? These two managers have such differing ideas on how to play the game of football that it raises the question; Is the style/brand of football we'll be playing this coming season not important to the board?

What I mean is, I understand it's all about results in the end, but my take on the situation is, if it all goes pear-shaped and the results don't come, a manager who tries to play the game the "right" way will quite often get more leeway than a manager who plays dire, boring football. If we win, style don't mean much (to me anyway), but if we lose patience will not be a word in Villa fans' vocabularies.

See Zola and di Matteo as examples of managers who were given much freedom by fans even though the results didn't come, moreso than you'd think given the poor run of results they went through.

In fact, I feel quite sorry for McLeish as he won't be given much slack if the results don't come straight away, given the style of football he seems to prefer.

Anyway, back to the question: Is it not important to the board how we play our football?

General

We keep hearing that RL has a vision for Aston Villa, what is this vision because at the moment every thing is very negative. (best players leaving, supporters not happy with the new manager)

Maybe RL could give us a personal statement telling us were we are going.

Hi General

In my view there is one single dominating factor leading directly and indirectly to most of the dispirited and angry comments of recent times and the last few months. It is clear directly or indirectly from almost all the Posts you are getting, and from 5 minutes in the company of fans.

It is this. Most fans of most Clubs dream and pray for success, but deep down know it is no more than a dream most the time. We all then get on and support the Club we love through thick and thin.

But us Villa fans are not in a normal position. We are owned by a benevolent, caring, billionaire. Not many Fans have that.

And we have had our hopes raised over the last few years by repeated statements, going right back to the 'world class players' comments in the first weeks, that the aim is to bring back the glory years, to get Top 4, to challenge the mightiest. You yourself have been a major contributor to this vision.

So we no longer think how we thought for years, how most fans think. We have expectations and hopes which we actuallly have been led to believe are realisitic.

BUT - it has gradually become clear, over 18 months or so, and increasingly with every development (stars leaving, money caution, aspirations of Managers set lower, etc etc), that those things are not realisitic, for whatever reason. (Were I a billionaire rather than on the verge of Bankruptcy, I would spend all but my last few Million on the Villa, but thats entirely up to Randy). (and probably explains why I have none !)

So there is a mismatch, of widening proportions, between what we are being told are the ambitions and what the realistic situation really is.

Hence much friction, cursing, rending of garments amd most importantly for a Football Club, dissillusionment.

The only real way to get everything where it meeds to be is for Randy to be very clear - through you if necessary - about the REAL level of ambition, however much less it is. In the end we can take it, far better than unmet promises.

Then we go back to treating Glory as a briliant extra, rather than something we are waiting for that keeps getting further away.

I think the whole Villa World would settle down to a more harmonious level then.

We might all start wanting a richer owner, we might not, but at least the frenetic aspirations would revert to something like normal for most Clubs.

General,

As much as I like shirts without a sponsor, I think the children's shirts look a bit odd next to the adult shirts without a sponsor on them. I know they can't put a gambling sponsor on the children's shirt so would it be a good idea to fill that blank space with Acorns again?

I think that is what West Ham do as they having a betting shop sponsor, they put the Bobby Moore charity logo on the kids shirts.

It would fill a blank space with a little more publicity for Acorns.

General,

Congratulations in managing to keep up the tradition that you have, of selling our best player early on in the summer.

However, I must admit I am a little worried, as when you have sold off Downing and Bent, we won't have anyone left to continue this fine tradition.