The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General,

Were you in attendance at the Liverpool game on the last day of the season? If so, you may recall the delight of the sell out crowd on hearing that the Blues had been relegated... It was marvelous - and HE did that!

Good evening General,

I am not to worried as I know you and Randy do care about the club and I know that you would never hire AM to be manager of AVFC. So I'm sure this is just a time wasting exercise so that you can hire Mark Hughes in July, which would not be my choice but I'll give him a chance.

I just hope you guys have not caused to much damage with the rest of the supporters.

Best thing is to come out tomorrow and say that you are no longer interested is AM after the interview(in a polite way of course), if there is one

Cheers,

David

General,

If Alex McLeish is a sign of where the club is headed then I am truly scared for Aston Villa.

Our local rivals were so happy to see him resign, even most of them wouldn't wish him on us!

Its bemusing to think that the manager that got Blues relegated a month ago, could be the next Villa manager.

On a list of candidates who the fans would revolt against strongest, at the very top would be McLeish... I do not doubt that one bit.

You said yourself you wanted to see Villa Park bouncing again around January, I couldn't think of an appointment that would be more likely get the exact opposite effect.

Kind regards,

Edd

Gen,

Do the fans still matter to this club?

Does the football side still matter to the club?

DO NOT HIRE AM.

We won't be behind him, we won't back him.

How will it work?

DON'T DO IT GENERAL!

General,

This is the last chance to back a new manager and make the necessary squad improvements before the new rules come in. If that man fails through lack of support or judgement, then we have no chance left to rectify the mistake. The club would be irreparably damaged.

General,

What the hell is going on at our club???

Let's start from the Barry saga.

He decided he wanted to leave and go off to Liverpool, fair enough, they had Champions League football and we'd just finished 11th, so we said if we don't get CL in the next season, you can leave. Barry says that he won't leave us for a club without Champions League football... The club talk to him at the beginning of the next summer, next thing we know, he's sold to Man City. Next up we have Milner who had a great season for us, he was happy as Larry at the club, comes for a talk with one of you guys, decides he wants to leave. O'Neill has a meeting with Randy... And leaves. Milner is then sold, and another player signed once O'Neill had left. Who organised those then? Following this, Young says he would sign a new contract if offered, talks to you guys and decides he doesn't want to talk about one until the end of the season. After this we go for a good while with no manager before you ultimately employ that idiot Houllier, he takes us down to some new lows, falls out with half of the squad, somehow has a perfectly safe job, then gets around £28million to keep us up! He manages this even though our best football actually came when he was in the bloody hospital with McAllister managing us!!! We get to the end of the season, Downing wants to sign a new contract, talks to you guys and decides he doesn't want to anymore and wants CL football, whether his wish will be granted has yet to be seen. Friedel enters contract talks with the club and decides he wants to leave, he goes to Spurs, a supposed rival if you are to believed on our ultimate goal. Young comes and talks to Randy, decides he wants to play at the top level and is basically gone already (who's negotiated that one then????). You talk to Ancelotti about taking the job, he decides he wants a year out of football. Martinez then gets spoken to about taking the job at Villa, he decides to stay at Wigan. Now we have tapped up the manager of our biggest rivals, whom he has relegated twice whilst playing dire football, got him to resign (VIA **** E.MAIL) and have ultimately pissed the fans off at the club by announcing that you are going to interview him.

Well done, General, Randy and Paul, well **** done.

Now, back to the original question.....

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON AT OUR (the fans) CLUB!?!?!?!?

If you appoint this guy, a part of me inside will die and never come back - all I can tell you is I feel sick to the core General and I've supported Randy since day one. This is what I get in return...

General

Buying a club doesn’t make a fan.

Investment in said club doesn’t make a fan

Having a tattoo doesn’t make a fan

Feeling the pain and anguish at the possible of appointment AM is what makes a fan. Obviously you and the board don’t feel this.

AM will walk to the dugout (if appointed) for the first home game to polite applause from some sections of the crowd, and contemptuous booing from others. If at the end 90 minutes Villa lose playing dour football he will walk off to 30,000 boos I am sure. You may not need the thumbs up to make an appointment but surely the team don’t need 30,000 thumbs down if things don’t get off to a flyer. (And it is a risk every time the team take the field at VP if AM is in charge - great for the visitors)

General Krulak,

Firstly where are you? Hiding by any chance? I actually will be surprised if you ever post again given the complete **** up your friend Randy and Faulkner have overseen this summer, I doubt you will have the brass neck to come on and try and defend it. After all it is indefensible.

You don't care about the fans, you are blatantly treating us with contempt, Randy is shutting his investment down and McLeish is part of a strategy to sell any of our valuable assets and for you to cut and run. Why else would you employ such an inept manager as McLeish? You are deluded if you think our disdain is purely based on his association with blues, it is taking them down twice (indefensible) and the dire football played along the way.

Finally you talk about the ethos and traditions of. Our great club. At this point I am compelled to remind you of the club motto "Prepared" I cannot think of a word more inappropriate to use to describe you and the rest of the current custodian of our club.

This.

I think you honestly underestimate the Villa support General and it would not be surprised if you skim read these responses, if at all, with a smug look on your face. But let's be clear here, you saw what happened to Hicks and Gillet, if you wan't to go down the same road then you're doing a brilliant job.

Alex McLeish is the last manager in the whole world the Villa fans want - if you understood the Club and its fans you'd understand this. Therefore, going by your reaction that the abuse he has had is "uncalled for" and then defending him to the hilt, I can only conclude that you, in fact, don't know what the ethos of this Club is about and are nothing more than irresponsible owners who tried, and failed, to tap into the English game.

I'd love you to prove me wrong, but I have major doubts about whether you will.

IM gutted i really am. I cant understand what is happening. Where is all this sticking 2 fingers up to the fans come from?

Up to this point Randy and his board has rarely put a footstep wrong. This last season has been hard, but i dont blame the board at all. I must admit to blindly following this board because i felt they deserved it. All this "dithering" and "messing about" and us being a "laughing stock" was all the media getting pissed off through lack of information, but is infact all true.

I would love to know who these advisers are because this is a joke.

In your last post you said "We will get the very best man for the job". Right so the best man for the job appears to be a guy whos been relegated twice in 3 premier league seasons. Someone who has a win ratio of less than 30% in the premier league and someone who managed the team with the lowest amount of goals scored. Coupled with that he has spent almost £40 million in the last 2 years, so dont try and say this guy has not being backed. I dont care if he managed Birmingham City, if he was any good i would be laughing at the thought instead of crying. Also this is the guy who walked out in his country and quit his last job my e:mail for Christ's sake.

I dont know really how to express myself on this, i am really gutted they club has decided to act this way. IM not a season ticket holder, but i go to about 12ish games a season, because i live in london and work commitments, will i stop going? Well no, I suppose thats why clubs do take the fans for granted. But i can say this, i wont be buying any merchandise , food or beverage until i feel ive made my point.

Im thinking this will also be our relationship with you General too. If you thought it was hard in the dark days of Houllier, Jesus i dread to think what will happen when/if McLeish has a sticky patch.

I guess you all seen whats happened at Newcastle. Thinking it will all blow over. Eventually the Villa fans will just except McLeish like Newcastle fans have done with Pardew and Mike Ashley, that may very well be true. But its sad. Ive love having Randy in at the helm i really thought he was a true gent and a great ambassador for the club, but thats gone now. Even giving this guy thought has killed it. He clearly knows nothing about the fans wants and needs.

Im sorry for all this rambling on, i just beg you please think again. I dont know anyone whos a fan of any team who thinks this is a good idea or with it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aston-Villa-Supporters-We-dont-want-Alex-McLeish/138020092940721

going to be 15k members soon.

I was one of Randy and the boards biggest fans, I constantly defended you as did 95% of people on this board for the money and hard work that has gone into the club. I defended the Houllier appointment. I defended the club when people have been moaning about how long it's taking for a manager, how we're a laughing stock in the media. I thought 'just give it time, Randy will get the right man and we'll be fine and flying come pre-season' ...I believed, why wouldn't I? Randy has done wonders for the club. Then I hear the news that we want to interview McLeish as it looks more and more inevitable that he becomes our manager and I just sat there as I am now in complete shock and anger at such a baffling decision. Being the Blues manager is just 1 small part of why WE as fans don't want him here. He plays absolutely terrible football and hasn't been successful. Yeah, you can argue it was at Blues but IMO, good managers might get relegated once but definitely not twice, especially a manager as experienced as McLeish. (I.e, he's not a young, learning his trade)

It's an absolute joke that the guy is even being considered and add the fact he was Blues manager, (do you know what that means!?!? he ain't going to be accepted by half the people from the start anyway) it's just an absolute joke.

How can you not understand that no one wants him here, for footballing/results reasons and where he's come from and also the future of AVFC. What youngsters has he bought through?? what style of football does he play!? how is that going to take us forward. Season tickets will drop, gates will drop, merchandise sales will drop. Wages will need to drop because of the smaller revenue and the club won't be able to grow like it should.

I can't believe it, It's an absolute disgrace and I'm extremely angry, frustrated and saddened by the clubs actions.

What's worse is the club also think it's just because he's from Blues, IT ISN'T, IT'S BECAUSE HE IS A POOR MANAGER AS WELL.

Gutted Villa fan.

General,

A simple question. Was McLeish on our original shortlist? If he had been I would have expected an approach to be made in the same way as with Martinez. Yet clearly so the club are saying an approach has only been made after McLeish resigned. So that means McLeish was never on the shortlist, so if he wasn't why not? And why is he suddenly being considered?

It gives the distinct impression the board had failed to attract any of their shortlist not just Martinez which makes the interest in McLeish look opportunist and If I'm honest rather desperate.

I really struggle to image how we have ended up even considering a manager like McLeish considering where we were a little over a year ago. The last 12 months has frankly been shambolic at every level. The majority of fans stuck with Randy when O'Neill went, stuck with him when he took a month to replace him and then got it so so wrong, they stuck with him when he stood by his man after he insulted the club and the fans and they would have stuck by him this summer even with the prospect of us selling our best player for the 3rd summer running.

As I think you are perhaps starting to realise they won't stick with the board over McLeish and for many even the point we are at now is too much and they have lost faith inthose rubbing the club, I'm sad to say I'm one of them. I know all about what Randy has done in the past and I thank him for it but it's not going to be enough for people to swallow the news of the last couple of days let alone what may be around the corner.

Its not that McLeish manager Blues that is the problem it's the football his teams play and te two relegations in four years that is the issue. Simply giving him a bigger club and more money won't make any difference.

You recently said the identity of a manager doesn't signal the ambition of the club, well I'm afraid I didn't agree then and I don't agree now and I think the attendances and thoughts of our players will demonstrate that.

season ticket holder.

will still be going because ive seen crap managers come and go before and its the team i support

very very disappointed with the board on this though

and presumably we will now get involved in an unnecessary legal situation

fighting for a manager not worth fighting for. I could understand it if he was the best manager but he so evidently isnt.

randy might want to curb his spending at the club. i can understand that.

owning a football club is expensive and getting more so.

pissing previous investment up the wall to actively seek relegation is not understandable.

the board will do what it wants. i get this. it certainly isnt good business to have the board look as if they are held to ransom by fans.

but we are also customers and customers who dont get the goods they want go elsewhere

for a football fan that doesnt mean changing team. it means finding sonmething else to do

and once that happens fans dont come back.

im a villa fan because my dad was.

the reason there are so many man u, arsenal and liverpool fans around the midlands is because their dads gave up on football

alienating the fans could cost you a generation of fans

i trust when you say you want the best man for the job you will consider such issues

General,

As many before me have stated, Randy Lerner and the rest of the Aston Villa board have had the backing of the majority of Villa supporters over the last few years and we have felt that Randy was helping to bring our dear club back to the upper echelons of the Premier League. We totally appreciated the money he has invested into our ground, training facility, and quality players. Surely we would love to see this continue and I for one hope it does. However, the whole McLeish situation raises many questions for the supporters and puts us all in a very precarious situation.

First of all, his Blues connection aside, much of the time McLeish has spent managing has been in the SPL, where admittedly the standard is much lower (being a Heart of Midlothian ST Holder I have witnessed this first hand many years). At Rangers, he failed to win the title a few years which is seen as a failure in most eyes, and he even managed a ten match span with no wins as Rangers manager, which is truly pathetic to anybody who knows an iota about football.

Moving on from there, it has to be said he has been relegated TWICE in the Premier League, the one league where his experience really does matter. We cannot sit here and say that he did not have proper financial backing because he spent around 40 million over the past two years alone. To be honest his buying record is also poor. He splashed large money on Zigic and actually bought Curtis Davies off us. Also, other teams spending less...the likes of Wigan and Blackburn somehow managed to stay up, so I am sorry but the story that he had no proper backing is not enough in this case. And while I will admit we do not know the true story of his exit from Birmingham, why would we even want to risk getting into more legal battles so shortly after we finished dealing with MON?

It goes without saying that we the fans are experiencing many negative emotions at this time and if the club ignores the mass amount of supporters and goes ahead with hiring this man, we will feel very disrespected and be left to believe that maybe the Board does not understand what supporters want and what the history/ethos of our proud club is. You previously stated that the Board cannot allow the club's decisions to be made by supporters, but in cases such as this the club must understand all the implications of its actions and realize they are seriously risking creating a massive rift in the fan base. Even look at people with assosciations to the club like Ian Taylor who are absolutely shocked in the current state of affairs we are in. Mention of McLeish has left supporters realizing they would be happy with the likes of Hughes, McClaren, Martinez, Benitez, Houllier, and others they were quite afraid of in the past, and that goes towards saying alot about the turmoil his appointment could bring upon us.

Backtracking a little, I realize the club has yet to hire anybody, so everything is a bit hypothetical and essentially seen as a argument against making particular decisions. At this point I still have faith in the board and hope that you all make the right decsion for this club and while us supporters cannot make the decisions, you must realize we are the club's foundations, and at the end of the day we will always remain, and that stands for something doesn't it?

To conclude, I know when many people post articles/letters on this thread from you regarding this, they do not always get the warmest of responses. But to reiterate, I do not write this to patronise you or the board, and I am not sitting here saying the club MUST appoint a manger by so and so date. All I am saying is that I have been following this club my entire life and I have always been proud to call myself a Villan, and I still am. Please help this conitnue in the future and help steer our club where it belongs.

Kind Regards,

LSV

General

Can you please explain how we have gone from a club who reached Wembley twice, finished 6th for 3 seasons in a row and was in the fight for 4th spot ALL LESS than 12 months ago to being the laughing stock of world football as I am writing this?

Does Randy also wish to blow a small part of his very large and fortunate inheritance by taking a club into bankrupcy? I surpose he will still eat and be warm in his many residences and fly around in his private jets?

We don't hate McCleish because of his last employer but because of his abysmal record in management in ENGLAND, the toughest league in the world. His record in the Scotish league is irrelevant because this is the worst league in Europe!

General please give our club back to the fans after all you are merely temporary custodians!!!

Good morning General,

Can you please answer this question,

Other than McLeish (and no need to name names) how many other candidates are being interviewed/have been interviewed for the position of manager????

Thanks

General,

Don't you think this 'Premier League experience' is holding us back from getting a decent manager?

It prevents us from going for great managers such as Rijkaard and Van Gaal and leaves us with the dregs of Premier League management such as McLeish.