The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General ...

I'd like to take you back in time to last summer.

The manager that had us established in the top 6, but couldn't break past it quits ... We're all thrown for six and the search for a new manager begins

We 'apparently' appoint some headhunters to go out and find us the best man to take us forward (presuming that meant from 6th upwards)

That said group of headhunters, no doubt very well paid for their time came back with 3 names (from what i recall)

Sven - A man with more baggage than a carousel operator at BHX

Curbishley - A man out of football for a few years and with the charisma of a wet weekend in Witton

Houllier - A man out of club management for a few years, out of the premiership for even longer and with a history of heart trouble

A quite stunning trio from the WORLD of football we all agreed.

Anyway ... so after much arsing about we appoint Houllier, the fans and media are wary, they like the man but almost to a man all feel it cannot possibly last due to the illness he's suffered previously. The fans make their feelings known, mainly the concerns about his health and the board appoint him anyway (well, eventually after he finished his other job first) and ignore everyone elses concerns.

So there we are, a lot of us like the idea of Houllier changing our way of play to a more pure football way, and know it will take time. Sadly Gerard tries to change everything there and then and this leads to player unrest and an alarming slide down the table. Second half of the season there is a small glimmer of things improving behind the scenes and we pull ourselves together a bit and play a bit of decent football here and there. This could work long term we all think ... except as we'd all expected and almost on que the manager falls ill. Surprise surprise, no one saw that coming did they. From that day on we all knew another summer of change was about to hit us in the face.

And here we are summer 2011.

We 'apparently' appoint some headhunters to go out and find us the best man to take us forward (presuming that means back towards the 6th position we'd claimed as ours only a year before). We're also led to believe that this new man would try and continue the ground work Gerard had set in place, in terms of playing better football.

4-5 weeks in and the search for the new captain of the ship seemed very quiet. The supporters were getting excited tossing names around like Moyes, Benitez, Ancelotti, Rijkaard, Hughes, Jol etc etc. Managers who seemed to have fans backing, some more than others.

Then the big day comes, we finally find out via another clubs chairman who the first interview target is ... Roberto Martinez. A bit of a leftfield choice which caused some posturing and confusion amongst the faithful it would be fair to say. Most supporter conversations came round to, he must be a smokescreen for the real target. Brilliant we all thought. As nice a man Martinez seems to be, and as a manager he seems to want to play proper football you couldn't help but think there really is no way a club of our size would appoint a man with such little managerial experience and especially after his team (with some very good players) had just avoided relegation by about 5 minutes.

No we thought, this is definitely a cover up to keep press off the scent of our real target. Clever work AVFC. But hang on, we then get told Martinez has turned down the chance to even talk to us ... No, the press must be making that up we think, how could that possibly be?.

Damn, the Villa confirm it too, the manager of Wigan Atheltic has no interest in holding talks with Aston Villa Football Club about its vacant mangerial position. BANG, TALK ABOUT A SLAP IN THE FACE!

We console ourselves amid the howls of laughter throughout football that the club must really have bigger targets. One's that can fulfil the much repeated club wish of breaking into the top 4 and one day once again holding that championship trophy aloft. Ok, we can take the piss taking on the chin ... we're Aston Villa and we KNOW we'll get a manager in that will shut the doubters up.

Days of wild speculation go on through the media, McClaren, Benitez, Ancelotti .. some exciting (one not) and we're all tingling as supporters do when the prospect of a new manager comes around

BANG. The press claim we want Alex McLeish. We laugh our heads off, AS IF! we chortle. The press are having a field day, Aston Villa want to appoint the ex manager of their deadly rivals and one that's more importantly just got relegated. NO WAY we all cry, it's the press making mischief, NO WAY in the world would OUR club be that stupid.

How would these expensive headhunters come to the conclusion that the saviour of our club, the man to pull the mighty Aston Villa ship off the rocks and back into calm and beautiful seas, is conviniently positioned 3 miles down the road still recovering from his second relegation in 3 years.

It couldn't be true, even the press that seem to like kicking us, find it bemusing. They even seem concerned like the supporters. Could Aston Villa really be considering appointing a manager with two recent relegations on his hands, who's team played what was pretty universally aclaimed as the worst football in the league ?. Could they seriously be thinking about doing it ?

The Villa fanbase hits meltdown status. The uproar is like nothing i've seen before. It's as if we've just changed our home kit colours to blue and white. Fans are falling over themselves to state their views, and in an apparent 99.5% agreement howl derision at even the suggestion it's true.

And then the club confirm it is.

They will be talking to the most hated man in Birmingham at this moment, a man that has done the unthinkable and united both halves of the city in anger ... about taking charge of a club, that just a year ago were cemented as the 6th best club in the premier league. The world falls out of our collective backsides in disbelief.

The club and there 'advisors', supposedly men with knowledge and experience in football, have gone through a world full of football managers, sounded out the best names in the business and have settled on Alex McLeish ... yes, Alex McLeish.

Revered throughout football for his free flowing footballing sides, his love of using youth, his tactical nous and his pulling power in the transfer market.

The club have really pulled off a coup of epic proportions.

Proud History, Best Forgotten Future.

General,

A simple question. Was McLeish on our original shortlist? If he had been I would have expected an approach to be made in the same way as with Martinez. Yet clearly so the club are saying an approach has only been made after McLeish resigned. So that means McLeish was never on the shortlist, so if he wasn't why not? And why is he suddenly being considered?

It gives the distinct impression the board had failed to attract any of their shortlist not just Martinez which makes the interest in McLeish look opportunist and If I'm honest rather desperate.

I really struggle to image how we have ended up even considering a manager like McLeish considering where we were a little over a year ago. The last 12 months has frankly been shambolic at every level. The majority of fans stuck with Randy when O'Neill went, stuck with him when he took a month to replace him and then got it so so wrong, they stuck with him when he stood by his man after he insulted the club and the fans and they would have stuck by him this summer even with the prospect of us selling our best player for the 3rd summer running.

As I think you are perhaps starting to realise they won't stick with the board over McLeish and for many even the point we are at now is too much and they have lost faith inthose rubbing the club, I'm sad to say I'm one of them. I know all about what Randy has done in the past and I thank him for it but it's not going to be enough for people to swallow the news of the last couple of days let alone what may be around the corner.

Its not that McLeish manager Blues that is the problem it's the football his teams play and the two relegations in four years that is the issue. Simply giving him a bigger club and more money won't make any difference.

You recently said the identity of a manager doesn't signal the ambition of the club, well I'm afraid I didn't agree then and I don't agree now and I think the attendances and thoughts of our players will demonstrate that.

I'd just like to second this, its the best post I have seen on the forum this year. We wouldn't be upset if SHA had a good manager and we were taking him off their hands but the fact that he's not goood enough for them says it all.

We are determined, still, not to allow that three-and-a-half year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.
Is he the best candidate, Have we sunk this low?

I think its quite plain to you now General, that if you ignore our feelings, you have major problems on your hands.

My advice is, dont think this will die and go away. It wont.

And dont think that hiding away will protect Randy and Faulkner from the wrath that will continue to grow.

You will have a manager that you have to effectively hide. Not just from us, but from the other side of the City.

I can not believe how stupid you lot must be.

Oh, and another thing.

The damage is now done. You lot really need to step up to the mark now, and start matching our ambition, instead of uttering your banal soundbites.

If you cant, then find someone who can.

General

Is there any chance you could briefly summise why the likes of Hughes, Benitez, Coyle and Rijkard were all deemed lesser candidates than the man who just oversaw Birmingham City getting relegated?

General,

I trust the board and I trust your decision making. I don't believe that you have gone into considering AM with your eyes closed - you are all successful people, and would be aware of the reaction.

I suspect that you have looked at the candidates, and the requirements Villa have for a manager, and considered AM to be the best candidate. It is not someone I would have chosen, but I support the decision and the club.

The only thing I would say is that I hope we sign a few players and get a good start!

Impressive risk taking.

Hi General

I have a few issues with the talks with McLeish:

1. McLeish does not have a sufficiently good track record to be considered for the role in my opinion. Winning trophies in Scotland's 2 horse race is not that impressive (anyone want Strachan or Walter Smith?), although he did get to a UEFA cup final; he did little with Scotland outside of a win in France against a team in freefall; he got SHA relegated twice, but got a lucky winner at Wembley after having had home draws all the way to the final. Not a lot of positives, and a few negatives.

2. He plays terrrible football - I can remember not bothering to watch Rangers in Europe, and just looking at the results becuase the games were simply awful, and a lot of commentators made comments about the ultra-defensive style he employed. Plus the SHA fans used to moan about it all the time.

3. He has managed THEM. In business, this would not be a huge issue in most circumstances, but in football it is. Owners of many clubs take their supporters for granted, because football is not like a normal business. Do not forget just how little logic will be applied by our supporters in some circumstances.

Iit seems that by even talking to the man (which in business would be very normal in a recruitment process), the board have 'lost' a lot of support. If you appoint him - I really fear that some positions will become untenable - which is a shame because Randy, yourself and others have done so much for the club

Regards, and UTV

“he bought some right rubbish and played the most boring football ever witnessed at St Andrews IMO.

It took the fans to get a change in the playing system but then he reverted back to his boring and defensive rubbish that got us relegated...twice.” Not my words but a bluenose on Bham Mail’s forum.

I hope when this all goes pear shaped as AM will not get the support a new manager needs to succeed that you don’t complain that AM was not given a fair chance. After all “…the Board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously” and still decide to appoint him.

seeing as randy is being commended for his "brave" decision will he be doing likewise and offering some kind of returns policy on season tickets? depending on fixtures obviously (if we get 2/3 top brackets teams it wouldnt work) and a pro rata basis if after say 5 home games the fans worst fears have been confirmed and AM has brought a terrible brand of football can i in some way get a return on my £520? or will the ticket exchange program be flooded with unused tickets?

General, I'm as moderate a supporter as you will find and I always look to find a positive with every situation. I would normally say when there's uproar on the Villa fan sites "don't worry General, fan sites don't represent the view of the silent majority of fans."

In this case I would have to say that I believe that the reaction you are getting in response to the prospect of an AM appointment probably does represent the view of perhaps 80/90% and maybe even more of the whole Villa fan base of tens of thousands.

It is all very well to set criteria for the Villa managerial appointment, but those criteria need to be informed and implemented with commonsense, and allowing an avoidable action to alienate a huge percentage of the fans who after all are the reason for the clubs existence, would appear to be at best ill judged and at worst suicidal.

I still believe that Randy is considering other candidates and would ask you General to please make sure that commonsense prevails as our new manager is appointed.

General

Just wanted to make it perfectly clear that whilst I am a little confused by McLeish's imminent appointment I am 100% behind you and Randy.

I would also like to point at that some of the comments on here aimed at your good self and Randy are completely out of order in my opinion. Please do not let them detract from posting on any of the forums - your input is greatly appreciated!

And for my fellow fans - just ask yourself why on earth Randy would spende the best part of £300m if he wasn't committed? Lets be truthful, he is a wealthy man but he's no Sheik!! I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust him, he brought us Darren Bent and I wouldn't mind betting that there will be a few more "Stellar" signings in the very near future.

Keep the faith and UTV

Dave

I too find some of the decisions on this appointment baffling

1-we wouldnt talk to Hughes because of the way he walked out on Fulham

Mcleish walks out on blues who are now demanding compensation and openly blasting the club and accusing us of tapping him up but we are more than happy to interview him

2-we wouldnt talk to mclarren because of the backlash from fans

we are happy to talk to a failed blues manager who has far less credentials that steve mclarren which will create the biggest backlash from fans that I have witnessed in my 26 years as a villa fan

the club look like a joke and I simply can not accept this man as manager of my football team

General,

Would you not agree that for outsiders looking in the club appears to be in a bit of a mess.

We have not at this point announced our new sponsor for the forthcoming season.

The new club strip yes going to be later than all our rivals (again) and may have to be released sans sponsors logo.

The board appear to be preparing to appoint a manager which you must realise has upset the fans or putting it another way your paying customer.

I dont doubt that Alex Ferguson has gave him a glowing reference but I bet he would stop short of recommending him as his replacement at Old Trafford.

Unfortunately for all the good work done by yourself and Mr Lerner I shall not be having a season ticket this season if Mr McCleish is appointed our manager. I was going to start taking my son down to as he is now 11 and enjoys watching football, he does however claim to be an Albion fan so I guess I will have to take hem to a few games there instead.

Very disappointed

hi,, i'm holding on to the thought that this is totally a way to generate press and interest in the product AVFC. Please let it be,. I have a few questions if you could possibly answer..

1. If we approach AM in this way why hasn't this been done with other managers.

2. If we do end up paying compensation to blues then why not pay CA his money to sit out on a season.

3. Could it be that we haven't got the funds to take the club further, settling on a manager that's happy to work in this environmet

4. Why is it that other PL clubs seem to be able to complete business quickly and effectly.

I for one see a lack of understanding in the way we conduct business, no other team in the league or lower leagues would (in my opinioN) work like this. I was left last season in total shock when GH took over, however i supported, but from the Chelsea home game i have been losing faith. I am sorry to say that if AM is named then unfortunantly that would be the end of me spending money going to support a team i have supported for 25 yrs.

Fickle ? maybe but living in the real world to know that this chap hasn't proved a thing in this league.

LIAM D

General

I'm 31 and have loved Aston Villa since attending my first game at 5 year old. There have been ups and downs in that time and through everything I still loved my club and most of all I was proud of my club.

Even through the horrible O'Leary years, when I would wince at every mention of the "honest bunch of lads" I was still proud of Aston Villa. Even when we were knocked out of the league cup after a hammering by Doncaster I was proud of my club. More recently we were destroyed 6-0 by a recently promoted Newcastle and STILL I was proud of my club.

General.. after the news regarding McLeish I am no longer proud, for the first time I am ashamed of my club.

Perhaps pride isn't important from a business point of view but I tell you this, the fans are. You see that Lion on our crest, to me it stands for pride. If the board appoint McLeish, not only would you have tainted our "Proud History" but you can also wave goodbye to our "Bright Future"

Mark C

General.

Unfortunately, it would seem that quite a few boats have burned with this business. You yourself have built quite a rapport with a lot of people on the forums and I remember some pretty genuine feeling towards you and yours a while back (at a particularly harrowing time). Yet, now it would appear that the rapport has simply become a method of deflecting awkward question away from the board and thats quite sad. A lot of other clubs supporters are actually quite envious of this facility we have to bridge the gap between 'them and us', but tbh it seems to have run its course.

I admire your loyalty towards Mr Lerner, but you above all people should know.......what you have always known is in your blood, its history courses through your veins and whether its the USMC or some 'quaintly-named little soccer club in England' its the same thing. It matters.

As for the possibility/ probability of Alex Mcleish coming to VP.....well, I personally could never give up my club for any reason. But Randy has genuinely misunderestimated the depth of emotion here. I sincerely hope he has HUGE cajones, he's going to need them!

General,

TBH I've never felt motivated to post on here before - I've never felt the need.

All I have to say, is that I trust you, Paul Faulkner and Randy to act in the clubs best interest. As far as I'm concerned you have NEVER let us down before - and on that basis I have no reason to believe you will do so now.

All that I ask is that careful consideration be given as to the appointment of the new manager, and that whoever he is, is truely the best possible candidate.

You will have MY support whoever you decide that person is.

Up The Villa.

Agreed. But I just hope the decision to not take Hughes has more to it than being dissapointed by the way he resigned. I suspect the vast majority of fans would have preferred MH, and most of us are perplexed as to why you continue to overlook him.

General,

I have loved every minute of Randy Lerner being at Aston VIlla, but he is about to commit the ultimate sin! If he sign Alex McLeish from Birmingham City then he has absolutely no right to keep that tattoo on his ankle (if it is really there anyway). He is no fan of Aston Villa and is proving just how much he cares about the fans today. He has thought up our worst possible nightmare, made it a reality and is planning to charge us £560 each to see it!!

Your days are numbered, we won't allow you to ruin our club this way and I've had enough if you appoint Alex McLeish as manager. I want Randy Lerner, Alex McLeish, Paul Faulkner and yourself to leave this great club (before you ruin it) and never, EVER, look back!!

im backing the board all the way still..

he is nowhere near my first choice, would be a strange and risky appointment for sure....

but Randy has earnt the benefit of the doubt with what he has done for us as a club so far and if he is convinced Mcleish is the man to take us forward then he has my backing still for the time being....