The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

I was in work today and some of the office staff there started talking about Aston Villa even though none of them support Aston Villa, seeing as they knew I'm an Aston Villa fan they decided to call me over and question me.....Some of the questions I had no answer for and standing in front of them trying to make things up to save face isn't my thing so I didn't answer some of them, questions like what are your club thinking giving the job to Mcleish? I couldn't answer that........ Why have so many managers been linked with your club and then the media reporting they've turned you down, to which I said that's the media just making our club look like a joke, but it seems like the club is making themselves look like a joke now.

So what our club looks like a joke?..It's not like the Board, Randy or Paul who will have to listen to people say that daily to them.

I can handle the club being called a joke, but it's real sad when you find yourself agreeing with them even though it's MY club they're talking about.

"shakes head"

General,

Seeing how Randy knows a lot about the Cleveland area, certainly he understands how a local area and a fan base feels and reacts when feeling the shock of a sports betrayal. It's almost impossible to not take such a betrayal personally as a local fan. When fans invest so much time, energy, money and love into team or a player only to have that player or in this case the Board and the owner seemingly turn their backs on the locals it really stings and not the type of sting one shakes off but the type that stays with you. There must be a reason why managers of local rival teams do not switch teams in the history of English football.

Why invite the trouble? Why invite the tension? Why invite the hurt feelings and the doubt and the ridicule? Why invite the loss of revenue? Why invite the bad blood between yourselves and the local fan base? Why invite a manager into that environment? Why purposely put all of your good work and good faith that you have built the for the last 5 years in peril? Why would you do all of these things for a manager that has been at the helm for two relegations, plays a style of football that would undo the work and class that the previous regime worked so hard to instill and would divide your fan base on top of all that? Why invite such a divisive element into the club?

Fans are already turning on each other, turning on the club. Why invite the bad blood and feelings? I know that you of all people know that you sometimes have to weigh the risk of casualities to win the war but General the Board was not at war but it seems that it's about to be. You are putting all this on the line for, at least what's on paper, is a mediocre manager. Why?

Every year we bring a new kit out, and off we all pop down to the shop like idiots, and pay £50 for the new shirt, which has a different style collar. Not this year.

You have taken us for granted. Im still not sure whether i will renue my ST yet, but i promise if AM is appointed, i wont be.

The reason for this is, i buy my tickets not only because i love this cub, and i enoy watching football, but i like to contribute to making not only the club money, but also the atmosphere. I do this every year, even though i cant really afford it. Money is tight for everyone. My life would be much easier if i didnt renue.

I wont be paying to watch Mcleish in charge.

I wont be buying the new shirt (even if mcleish isnt in charge) as i feel you have slapped us all in the face for even giving it a thought.

You dont care about us. I dont give a sh%$ about you.

Always remember...... You were warned!

There is no point in releasing statements about why we should relax in our assessment of AM. It just comes across as arguing with the fans rather than reasoning with them -as you can see from reading every post here, the fans are really starting to dislike the people who run this club. These 'statements' we're reading are making it worse. The only statement any Villa fan wants to hear is the one that announces the appointment of a manager we are happy with.

As an employer Aston Villa owes its employees a duty of care not to place them under any foreseeable or avoidable stress, how on earth can they potentially satisfy that obligation with AM he would be ridiculed by the clubs own fans from Day 1, sorry from before Day 1!!!

General,

It's hard to put exact figures on today's protest attendance but it must be around 500 at a guess. That is with about 24hrs notice. Do you know how hard it is to get 500 people anywhere with such short notice?

I'm very impressed with that turnout considering the timeline involved. Can you really imagine the amount of people who will be protesting against YOU AND THE BOARD in a month or so time when it's more organised and on a match day.

I sincerely hope you've got sponsorship sorted as no company is going to want to be associated with the amount of negative press you are all going to get until McLeish is fired and probably you lot have followed him out the door.

You've shown in one stroke you have no respect for the fans and don't understand the game at all. I eagerly await your pointless rhetoric response which further shows you have lost all touch with 99% of the supporters.

At least be honest and admit you've given up and it's all about the money.

If this goes through you will be the least popular Board in the clubs history. What do you expect? Keep selling the best players, mess up all sponsorship and shirt deals and then hire a manager who is not only useless (TWO relegations) but from our arch rivals and then you respond to criticism with effectively "we don't care as you're not important as we are".

The one thing has become crystal clear is that the board clearly don't understand English football, don't understand the average fan and have now alienated themselves from what is probably the majority of the fanbase.

My question therefore is will you and Randy be writing a book about it?

I was thinking something along the lines of how not to look after a football club.

General,

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and yourself should hang your heads in shame. Appointing a manager renowned for playing 'hoofball', who has lead his club to relegation twice in 3 years, who's club has just been relegated, and who's a bluenose to boot.

What perplexes me General is why the club says it listened to fans opposition to Steve McClaren and didn't interview him as a result, yet go ahead and appoint McLeish despite complete universal upraor from fans. Was the comment about listening to fans over Steve McClaren just making good PR out of the fact that you never wanted him in the first place?

And then there was the manner in which Mark Hughes resigned being seen as a factor why he wasn't suitable for Aston Villa. Yet Alex McLeish resigns by e-mail and that's OK. Can you explain that?

In appointing McLeish, despite the ferocity of opposition from fans, Randy Lerner has undone all the good will he has built up with the fans since taking over at Villa. We even begun to regard him as 'one of us'. Not any more. A sad day for Aston Villa.

Incidently I have not renewed my season ticket, and many others have done the same. There will be many empty seats at Villa Park this coming season.

General - if we do appoint AM as manager can I make a suggesion for a PR exercise. Organise a public 'meet the fans' exercise between AM and the dissenters where the fans can voice their concerns over various things - particularly with respect to his playing style. I think if he can convince us that we are to continue in the vein that G.Houlier began it may at least give him some breathing space. (I am not sure what size of arena you will need though). I think if anything it may bring across some of the determination to succeed and integrity which I think he has. Good Luck.

Still no response General to any comments... Says it all really, I thought you would at least have the balls to exlain your rationale.

But no, you will no doubt leave it a few days, hope the storm blows over and come out with the usual BS about how you actually care etc

Well guess what... This won't blow over... Even if McLeish wins the double, we will never forgive or forget the contempt which you have treated us with.

For the record I will still support the team, because it's my team.... But I will never back you or any other member of this board.., such a shame as I like most Villa fans were taken in by your propaganda...

You've let us down... I think you military types call it desertion

General, tonight i'm hanging my head in shame as a Villa fan. I appreciate passion for the club and voicing opinions, but vandalising our own club's property is just ridiculous and unforgiveable. Don't care if i get slated but this is an embarrassment tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if Randy decided to jack it in and I wouldn't blame him really.

Semper Fi.

General, you wrote this as your first message on this site

30/10/2006

I am General Krulak and am one of the new Directors of Aston Villa Football Club.

Let me start by telling you how happy Randy, the other Directors and I am about being part of the Villa Family! Yes, we are "part" of the family...not the most important part...just a part. The history, traditions and ethos of this magnificent Institution are very precious to us...just as they are to you. You all have stuck with Villa through thick and thin and we are new to Villa Park...BUT, believe me, we want what you want and will work very hard to achieve that goal.

We are blessed with a superb Manager who has everyone's total support. He is a great football mind, a great tactician, and a great teacher...but most important, he is a great Leader! He knows how to motivate the team and get the best from them...and when he needs to make adjustments, he does it with skill.

I am on this Site because, like Randy, I truly care about what fans say and feel. We want to do right...we are not interested in screwing it up. At the same time, we realize we can't perform miracles...we can't change things overnight. What we ask is that everyone join us in supporting the team...and keep the spirit up. The coaches to Chelsea are a great opportunity to do just that. Come on down and lets drown out the Chelsea fans.

Finally, we have no egos...we don't believe we have all the answers. What we do know is that we care...and that we are part of something very special.

Semper Fidelis, General Krulak

It seems to have gone a bit pear shaped of late. A stick's been prodded where it might have been best not to. Personally I retain, completely, my belief that you're all good people trying to do what's right and best. But here's a thing. It's gone a bit off the right track, to say the least. 2 managerial changes have been needed, neither, we're led to believe due to the Club, but due to a resignation and to ill health. Neither search has gone too well, and this last one is turning into a nightmare. The communication is terrible, fans, players, staff, sponsors, kit makers all need assurances and all we're getting is drift an uncertainty. And worse we're seemingly on the cusp of appointing a seriously unpopular choice as manager. Now the Club can't be blamed for people who decide to stay where they are out of loyalty, or because they feel our role doesn't suit them. But I'm concerned that the whole picture around ALex McLeish is a bad one - the Club statement seems to be a model of defensive walling - a lot of "if we don't do this, then bad things'll happen" not much he's the right guy and worth talking to because X, Y,Z"

It might seem like we want a lot, but we really don't. We want someone to manage our team with a bit of style, to represent the Club and make us feel proud. You guys say so little, present such a private image that we want the manager to be your "face" and thus our face as Villa fans to the world. Full of enthusiasm for Villa, for the team, the shirt, the ground, the players and the games. We want someone who looks like they love the place like we do. Who respects the Villa. They need perhaps to be a bit extravert, a bit outgoing and have a dash of style about them and their footballing ethos.

We may not even get all of those things, but a good handful would be nice.

I'm not sure that many of the things in your first message are being shown to be the case right now, and I'm not sure that Mr McLeish really has too many of the things going for him that the club really needs. It seems an ill match and a bad situation to me. Of course you must talk to whoever you like in your search, but I hope that the things you espoused in your first message on behalf of Randy haven't got lost in the desire to close down the search and that you don't make a bad choice because of a feeling of desperation to get someone, anyone, in place.

Sometimes, floating in the ocean you can grab for anything to hang on to. Sometimes it's best to take a deep breath and have a look before you grab that shark.

Dear General,

I know you have a lot of posters to deal with (unsurprisingly) but I'd appreciate some direct answers to this. I don't come on here complaining and making knee-jerk reactions, but I can't believe what's happening recently - I need some help getting my head around it all.

McLeish may have 'proven Premier League experience', but first of all, why is this so important? As other posts have pointed out, managers such as Ancelotti, Wenger, Benítez, Mourinho, and Mancini had no Premier League experience and were successful. Although our club isn't at the level of the clubs that the aforementioned managers joined (when they did), it nevertheless goes to show these 'big' clubs were happy to look abroad for their managers.

Secondly, McLeish may have experience of the Premier League, but in his time as Birmingham manager - which was his only Premier League job - the club were relegated twice. Despite the League Cup success this year, and guiding Birmingham to ninth last season, these achievements are undoubtedly overshadowed by relegation. He certainly doesn't seem to offer stability. Admittedly, this may be due to problems at a higher level within the club, which partially explains his resignation. However, despite operating on a wage bill much smaller than Villa's, it cannot be argued that McLeish wasn't supported financially: over the last two seasons, Birmingham's net spend was £36.525m. Surely, this should be enough to avoid relegation? McLeish finished ninth in the 09-10 season, spent just under £20m (net) on new players - more than every other club in the league apart from Chelsea and Manchester City - in the following two transfer windows, only to see the club relegated in 10-11. This does not suggest that McLeish is a suitable candidate to offer stability (and, as the fans would like, progression) at a club who are apparently trying to reduce their spending so as to comply with the UEFA financial fair play rules.

McLeish's achievements elsewhere are hardly outstanding, either. He did well as Scotland manager, but ultimately they failed to qualify for Euro 2008. In his five years as Rangers manager, he won the Scottish Premier League twice, which is decent but far from outstanding in a weak league north of the border. The fans turned against him towards the end of his tenure, resulting in his departure.

It is also clear that the fans don't want him. Whist their views are clearly tainted by the fact that his last job was as manager of Birmingham, and admittedly the board and those who advise them will be much more aware of his positive connections with players and personal philosophies and managerial style, it is still clear that the majority fans would see him as an uninspiring appointment to say the least. Some may suggest that internet message boards and Facebook don't offer a fair view of all fans' opinions, but the reaction is so overwhelmingly negative that, without doubt, season ticket sales and attendances (and consequently the club's revenue) will decrease. Villa fans have endured seeing the club move between being relegation candidates, boring mid-table obscurity, and the pain of almost pushing on and qualifying for the Champions League. Whilst the latter was an exciting appearance, resulting in increased attendances and a better atmosphere around the club, for which we have Randy and his team to thank, it ended once again in a season of heartbreak for Villa fans. It is perfectly understandable that the club could not sustain this push without putting its future at risk, particularly in light of the emergence of Manchester City and, to a lesser extent, Tottenham. However, the appointment of McLeish would be seen by fans as a signal of the club's declining ambition, for many of the reasons mentioned above. Additionally, it would seem that we no longer have exciting football to look forward to either. With Ashley Young on the verge of leaving - possibly followed by Stewart Downing, with the club doing nothing to convince the fans that he himself will be convinced to stay for more than another season - we lose much of our flair and creativity, something which McLeish is not known for either. Arguably, many fans would accept mid-table finishes if we are at least entertained by exciting football, but the there seems to be little potential of even this.

Whilst the board is rightly applauded for conducting its business privately, the club statement on McLeish does nothing to convince the fans that McLeish is a good appointment. In order to even begin to sway the attitudes of the supporters, Aston Villa must issue a very good explanation to the fans as to why this man would be considered a good appointment. Particularly after what many see - rightly or wrongly - as the board not being adequately prepared to replace Gérard Houllier, they have to explain what many, including much of the media, see as a strange and uninspiring potential appointment. Whilst no fan should expect to know the internal processes of a club, they have the right to be offered a decent explanation regarding the thoughts behind such a move.

I, for one, hope that the board sees that this man is not the right candidate for the job. This may be purely in the eyes of the fans, but the fans are the life-blood of the football club. Most of us don't really expect us to get the likes of Carlo Ancelotti or even David Moyes, but we also don't expect us to hire Alex McLeish either. Being an ex-Birmingham City manager may not mean that McLeish would do a bad job but, short-sighted and biased or not, he would be a very unpopular appointment and none of the reasons above justify any reason for the fans to feel otherwise.

General,

Sir, I know that a man of your standing will not be bowed by some of the vile and totally disrespectful comments you and Mr Lerner have received on this and other sites. Sir, please believe there is a 'silent majority' whose love and passion for Aston Villa overrides all this ridiculous negative hysteria. You are our board entrusted with the custodianship of this great and historic football institution. Apply your properly, researched criteria to appoint a properly, committed and passionate candidate as manager.

If Mr Lerner's choice is Alex McLeish you can count on my support for sure and I suspect many of those who don't often speak up will give him a chance too.

One thing, we all need to work together to repair some of the damage done recently to the name of Aston Villa.

I may not be proud of some of our fans tonight; but I am still proud to be a fan. After all I've got no choice!

Hi General,

Did Gus Poyet come under consideration at all? He is a top manager in the making and probably wouldn't take him long to get to London for a chat with Randy before he makes a decision.

My point General is that a significant number of fans, more than you wouldv'e thought, have stood up and showed their utter frustration at how we have been managed of late.

There are more questions to answer but PR responses will not cut it.

I have said it before. If you want to unite the fans go and get a young manager who plays the right way and is respected within the game. McLeish is not that man. Look at where Moyes came from, a man who is now a successful manager at Everton. McLeish is damaged goods and we are potentially going to do exactly what you said would not happen. The Houllier era was a farce but as things stand this is going to be 100 times worse.

Listen to the fans. Yes we moan, yes it can be difficult to please everyone, but by appointing McLeish you will alienate your fans from the board and from each other.

Go get Poyet. Trust me.

General,

If you are looking for a cheaper option then I too will agree with looking at Poyet.

Plus these managers are all unattatched;

Marco Van Basten

Frank Rijkaard

Bernd Schuster

Louis Van Gaal

Quique Sánchez Flores

Some of list have bags of top level football experience..Connections, bringing through youth etc.

None of them have Premierleague Experiance...But its not important and not something the majority of the fan base see as an important issue..

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=69248