Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Why would Warnock and Carew fall out with Houllier for historical reasons?

Well, Carew has made it clear that he does not rate Houllier. Remember the article about how he rated his managers this summer?

Results:

1.Eggen

2.Capello

3.Benitez

4.O`Neill

5.del Bosque

6.Cuper

7.Houllier

Warnock I may have been a bit premature to say had historical reasons to fall out with Houllier.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the Houllier interview on AVTV following the Man City match. Quite a telling little section at the end, Jack asks about the players fitness, Houllier replies; "Ashley trained today, Stephen Ireland couldn't come....well, he reported with a (shrug) bad knee in the training yesterday, but I heard that he trained today (shrug), urrm, John Carew was not fit to travel (snort, smile) so he said, so, we've got to get on"

I'd welcome others' thoughts, but to me it really looks like Houllier is frustrated with Carew and Ireland and there is a suggestion that they are simply taking the piss. He doesn't say anything blunt or criticise any players but it is almost as if he is imploring viewers to understand that he is having to deal with some annoying bollocks at the moment.

The question that is obviously causing much debate is whether Houllier is the cause of this unrest or whether it is overpaid, lazy, prima donna players whose hearts are not in it. For the time being I'm on the side of GH.

I agree with you post, Ireland had a flu before and now he has a bad knee? Carew isn't fit to travel either, he hasn't been fit all season what is he doing to get himself fit? going abroad was a good idea in progressing to fitness I imagine.. well done Carew.

I hate the way Carew is taking the piss, he should be leaving as a hero but the effort he is showing at the moment just takes the piss out of all that have chanted his name. Really disappointed with this guy's behaviour.

Stephen Ireland couldn't come....well, he reported with a (shrug) bad knee in the training yesterday, but I heard that he trained today (shrug)

Jesus Christ, here he goes again. He REALLY REALLY can't help himself. I accept that I'm only reading the words and trying to interpret the tone in which he said it and the meaning behind the shrugs can be difficult. But, he has previous, so I think he's having a swipe again.

Well Gerard, you told him the other week that he didn't fit in your plans and wasn't going to play for you again. Have you changed your mind then? Would he have travelled if he had been fit?

And you heard he trained today? With the reserves as per your instructions, I presume? Do you think maybe if he was faking an injury he would have taken more than one day off?

Its not that i don't believe you Gazton but I want to raise a point here.. people will happily dismiss MM on what he says, yet people are expected to believe you? (don't get me wrong i don't think your wrong infact during the ireland/milner saga it was you and MM giving us the info) but i'd be interested to see how many believe you but not MM.. just saying.

Stephen Ireland couldn't come....well, he reported with a (shrug) bad knee in the training yesterday, but I heard that he trained today (shrug)

Jesus Christ, here he goes again. He REALLY REALLY can't help himself. I accept that I'm only reading the words and trying to interpret the tone in which he said it and the meaning behind the shrugs can be difficult. But, he has previous, so I think he's having a swipe again.

Well Gerard, you told him the other week that he didn't fit in your plans and wasn't going to play for you again. Have you changed your mind then? Would he have travelled if he had been fit?

And you heard he trained today? With the reserves as per your instructions, I presume? Do you think maybe if he was faking an injury he would have taken more than one day off?

Its not that i don't believe you Gazton but I want to raise a point here.. people will happily dismiss MM on what he says, yet people are expected to believe you? (don't get me wrong i don't think your wrong infact during the ireland/milner saga it was you and MM giving us the info) but i'd be interested to see how many believe you but not MM.. just saying.

I don't expect anyone to believe me, people are free to think what they like.

I've always put a caveat on these types of posts that I am only giving one side of the story.

I hate the way Carew is taking the piss, he should be leaving as a hero but the effort he is showing at the moment just takes the piss out of all that have chanted his name. Really disappointed with this guy's behaviour.

Agree, whilst i'll look back at the memories and think he was good when he was bothered towards the end he declined as a player.

If I were in GH's shoes, I'd call a team meeting and declare an amnesty.

"If you want to stay here and be a part of what's happening, you're welcome. Otherwise, the door is there. You won't play again, you can inform your agents they have 31 days to get you a transfer.

If you're staying, I will meet each of you individually and then as a group. No holds barred, I want to know your concerns and you will hear mine. I will then respond to your concerns, either individually or to the group.

The playing squad at the end of this process will be united. We will be a team. We win together, we lose together. We celebrate and we mourn together. And defeats are softened and victories sweeter because we did them together. From this point on, you're my guys and I'm yours and there's nothing I wouldn't do for you. "

Yes, its fluffy and nicey and far too idealistic. But I've had a few drinks and I really want this club to get back on track.

....and your sentiments are good, I'd be saying there are no locks on the gates....stay behind them that want to go and I'll help you.

"If you want to stay here and be a part of what's happening, you're welcome. Otherwise, the door is there. You won't play again, you can inform your agents they have 31 days to get you a transfer.

If you're staying, I will meet each of you individually and then as a group. No holds barred, I want to know your concerns and you will hear mine. I will then respond to your concerns, either individually or to the group.

The playing squad at the end of this process will be united. We will be a team. We win together, we lose together. We celebrate and we mourn together. And defeats are softened and victories sweeter because we did them together. From this point on, you're my guys and I'm yours and there's nothing I wouldn't do for you. "

Yes, its fluffy and nicey and far too idealistic. But I've had a few drinks and I really want this club to get back on track.

....and your sentiments are good, I'd be saying there are no locks on the gates....stay behind them that want to go and I'll help you.

I agree in that if its that bad there needs to be some sort of clearing of the air.

I thought GH was a canny appointment when it was made. As time has gone by I have become more and more disillusioned with GH as our manager. The low point was the Liverpool game where he clearly demonstrated to me that he did not understand our great club.

BUT and its a big but I really can't see RL sacking GH any time soon so its beholden on us as fans to get behind him. If it still looks as shit in say five weeks time and we have not brought in players then maybe it is Big Sam time.

We as the fans owe a duty of care to the club to do that and its simply destructive to boo either the players or the manager. Every single player in that squad must be up for the battle. If they are not get rid and get some players in who are. I'd like to see a lot more of Sid and McAllister and the senior players really coming out and saying that.

Unfortunately Petrov on the OS sounds like a stuck record.

Maybe get Ashley Young away from the rest of the squad before saying this, just in case.

Houllier is making a lot of mistakes as manager at present and isn't getting results. Somebody has to point this out before things slide too far.

Apart from regular attempts to blame this all on MON (perhaps ignoring the obvious fact that he isn't at the club any more and therefore has no impact on our performances) I have seen no credible argument that would lead me to support him as manager.

If he starts managing better, and getting better results, I will start to support him again but I don't see any obligation to do this on principle, just because he is the manager.

Houllier is making a lot of mistakes as manager at present and isn't getting results. Somebody has to point this out before things slide too far.

Apart from regular attempts to blame this all on MON (perhaps ignoring the obvious fact that he isn't at the club any more and therefore has no impact on our performances) I have seen no credible argument that would lead me to support him as manager.

If he starts managing better, and getting better results, I will start to support him again but I don't see any obligation to do this on principle, just because he is the manager.

Fair assessment Briny and very much how I feel.

Anyone heard if Lerner or Faulkner have called any of the senior lads in - Petrov maybe one two two others, to try to find out what the hell is going on. Surely they need to be more pro active.

mark you certainly have double standards

when NRC had his spate with O'Neill .... you clearly made your point... the manager rules. ok

now with a different position in the league your principles have gone for a ball of chalk, because you don't fancy the manager ( understandable with results)

but you can't use principles and then discard them to suit.

have some consistency in your principles.

Come on. We weren't getting battered from pillar to post under O'Neill after the spat with Reo Coker.

I agree the manager should certainly rule. Sadly it appears Houllier doesn't which is why Lerner needs to step in and ask the players wtf is going on.

Houllier it appears is weak and has no respect from the players who are playing like they couldn't give two monkeys ****.

Look Mark....I don't know whether Houllier is right or not, he has proved ok in the past... who knows..... and yes right now it is exceedingly hard to defend him.

but he has not had fires to put out he has had a forest of fires to put out... and yes spilt a bit of petrol himself.

even Tito and Saddam managed to keep a lid on it, but it went tits up when they left..... this could well be the same under O'NEILL, He managed to keep a lid on it......this has been waiting to happen IMO.

I'd have far more respect for your posts mate if you stopped trying to pin everything on the guy who left 5 months ago. Sure he contributed to what has happened but it would be far better if people moved on and accepted that those now at the club need to take responsibility for what is happening now and show some leadership.

In fact it really doesn't matter if some fans think O'Neill is to blame for everything. Whats far more worrying is that I sense some at the club do too and it is very dangerous passing responsibility for the here and now on to someone who can do **** all about it and hasn't been able to all season.

If we dont get behind Houllier now (and the players - i put them in bracets because respect for the manager should come first) then we are well and truly ****. Fizzy pop league football next season for sure. Next Leeds United? Maybe.

To all the people blaming this whole **** sorry mess on Houllier...get you head out of the **** sand. This has been brewing for quite some time. MoN got out unscathed just at the right moment.

Houllier DOES NOT deserve the treatment hes getting at the minute - from certain sections of the fans and DEFINITELY from certain section of our playing staff.

The people calling for Houlliers head now need to think long and hard about the implications that would bring. Getting rid now would do absolutely NO GOOD!!

We need to get behind him, get behind the signings he makes. get behind the players who actually GIVE A **** about this great club, get behind the team, get behind the board...GET BEHIND EVERYBODY AND GET THROUGH THIS!!!

Just watched the Houllier interview on AVTV following the Man City match. Quite a telling little section at the end, Jack asks about the players fitness, Houllier replies; "Ashley trained today, Stephen Ireland couldn't come....well, he reported with a (shrug) bad knee in the training yesterday, but I heard that he trained today (shrug), urrm, John Carew was not fit to travel (snort, smile) so he said, so, we've got to get on"

I'd welcome others' thoughts, but to me it really looks like Houllier is frustrated with Carew and Ireland and there is a suggestion that they are simply taking the piss. He doesn't say anything blunt or criticise any players but it is almost as if he is imploring viewers to understand that he is having to deal with some annoying bollocks at the moment.

The question that is obviously causing much debate is whether Houllier is the cause of this unrest or whether it is overpaid, lazy, prima donna players whose hearts are not in it. For the time being I'm on the side of GH.

Mate..im totally with you. I read an aricle by Oliver Holt in the Mirror the other day which highlighted exactly the sort of problems (within the squad) that Houllier is facing right now.

I dont know if youre aware bur Carew went back home to Norway before the boxing day fixture. Fair enough.

Then he said he wouldnt be back in time for the game after that due to 'being snowed in'. Fair enough...Norway gets alot of snow and his relatives might have been in a remote part where access to airports or whatnot was akward. I CAN ACCEPT THAT

WHAT I CAN'T ACCEPT.......

Is John Carew EVENTUALLY showing his ugly mug a day after this game and DECLARING HIMSELF INJURED!!!

I think that sums up in a nutshell what Houllier is dealing with here. A complete lack of professionalism from a bunch of clearings in the woods who were underperforming anyway. Using Houllier as an excuse for doing so IS JUST SO COWARDLY ITS UNTRUE!!!

VTID!!!

The only time you will find me right behind Houllier would be as I push him out the door at Villa Park.

I gave him a chance but since the day he has come to the club he has done nothing I mean absolutely nothing to inspire any confidence in me and it would see the players.

I don't like him, I don't like his methods and I don't like the way he is conducting himself as the manager of our club.

So I'm not going to get behind him because I don't have faith in him, I don't want him as our manger, I don't like him and I would be quite happy to see him sacked.

The only time you will find me right behind Houllier would be as I push him out the door at Villa Park.

I gave him a chance but since the day he has come to the club he has done nothing I mean absolutely nothing to inspire any confidence in me and it would see the players.

I don't like him, I don't like his methods and I don't like the way he is conducting himself as the manager of our club.

So I'm not going to get behind him because I don't have faith in him, I don't want him as our manger, I don't like him and I would be quite happy to see him sacked.

i agree with this 100%.

Â