415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's interesting is Pires in a french paper recently also said Houllier is laying down the same foundations he did at Lyon, there was some problems with getting the team to accept it but he said thats over now and the "locker rooms etc is starting to have jokes etc."

Infact i read it this morning so i'll try and find the link.

I saw Houllier on ssn yesterday where he mentioned about Dunne and Ireland having a chance of getting back into the team. The guy looked really downbeat and lacking any kind of enthusiasm. Whether it's the pressure from the players or the pressure from the fans - or both - he seems to be buckling a little.

I hope that all this pressure doesn't have a negative effect on his health. I don't really think he is doing such a great job and if he left it wouldn't break my heart TBH but I wouldn't want his health to suffer either.

I will always support the team and the manager. I don't want him or anyone to fail, there's no sense in that because I want to see my club be successful. I just didn't feel enthused by him and his manner didn't say to me "this guy is going to get us out of the shit". Prove me wrong Ged, please!

I don't back him but I do genuinely hope from tomorrow he starts turning things around. As I have been saying for the last month I really want Houllier to prove me wrong and I'll happily have humble pie rammed down my trap. Games are passing though and we are getting worse not better so the likelihood of that happening becomes less likely.

We are definitely at the stage where he either needs to shit or get off the pot.

That is only the opinion of steve-67, not something Pires has mentioned??

Sorry fella's, which bit are you asking about? The club captain thing or the interview itself?

If it's the captain thing, this is a role that I have often given more senior players at clubs that I have managed. They welcome new players, helping them to settle in and also assist in spreading the word/ethos of the Manager. This is my opinion though and not an absolute. The role would make sense given he's a World Cup winner. Finished as a player though.

I am not sure it would go down well with the other players if someone like Pires was made club captain. He has done nothing to deserve that role and it would be seen as "jobs for the boys" and I hate that to be honest.

I am happy with Petrov being club captain right now. He hasn't been spouting off and he does seem to give his all on the pitch.

So it seems the new spin coming from within the club is talk about 'legacy' and 'foundations' well excuse me if I'm less interested in this and more interested in the **** shambles that is our team and the job our manager is doing.

As I have said previously, it's ok putting foundations in place, but keep a close eye on what is happening in front of you, right now!! Villa are in a shit shape, that needs sorting first, before anything else gets planned. Totally agree Trent.

If it's the captain thing, this is a role that I have often given more senior players at clubs that I have managed. They welcome new players, helping them to settle in and also assist in spreading the word/ethos of the Manager. This is my opinion though and not an absolute. The role would make sense given he's a World Cup winner. Finished as a player though.

A man who is finished as a player should not be club captain. The job you describe above reminds me of the greeter I see working on the door down Asda. I think his name is Ernie and he is knocking on a bit so may well be able to get Pires some kind of jobshare.

If Pires was made club captain I think I'd completely u-turn on Houllier and want him sacked the next minute.

I'll be disappointed if we don't make a signing by the Sunderland game because it would show that Houllier really isn't that in a rush to change things when they desperately need to be made. With O'Neill, though he **** around during windows he'd always have the excuse we were doing well, particularly at this stage in the season. I still have faith in Houllier and lord would I not want MON back, but he needs to get stuck into this window!

A man who is finished as a player should not be club captain. The job you describe above reminds me of the greeter I see working on the door down Asda. I think his name is Ernie and he is knocking on a bit so may well be able to get Pires some kind of jobshare.

I agree, the problem with this role is that GH wants Pires to play a bit as well and the other players are thinking "who is this old fecker trying to tell us what to do when he's no better than any of us?" I believe that GH has messed up with this and should have brought Pires in as a "Mentor" rather than as a player. It's all in the name I guess. Club Captain is slightly strong but is my own description and not something mentioned by Pires or GH.

Sorry fella's, which bit are you asking about? The club captain thing or the interview itself?

But Pires nor Houllier have said anything about Pires being a club captain? It's just your opinion of his role?

Okay good. It's just to me some people seem to be taking your word as gospel truth believing that Pires has actually been made club captain. Certainly in there to help pass his experience on as anyone of that age and professionalism would be but he's certainly not even close to bring a club captain and there is nothing imo to suggest that.

Yes AVFC-POB, just my opinion.

And it was your opinion being questioned.

Why would we want Bobby 'The Beach' Pires to have any such role?

I'm not sure I understand your question snowychap. My understanding was that Pires was brought to the club to assist with developing some of the younger players, teaching them to be professional, rather than coaching. A mentor role if you like. I also genuinely think that this may have caused some of the disruption within the club as GH lays his foundations. An opinion, not fact.

Don't think for one minute Anyone other than Petrov will be made club captain unless he leaves.

Pires was a really good player, some might say he was a great player but the important word here is 'was'.

He should nevr have been bought in as a player. If Houllier wanted a former star (albeit someone to speak French with) to pass on his knowledge and experience to the younger players then get someone in on the coaching staff but a 37 year old player who was courted by Crawley Town probably isn't quite right for AVFC and it is unlikely he would be accepted as club captain.

I'm not sure I understand your question snowychap. My understanding was that Pires was brought to the club to assist with developing some of the younger players, teaching them to be professional, rather than coaching. A mentor role if you like. I also genuinely think that this may have caused some of the disruption within the club as GH lays his foundations. An opinion, not fact.

Really? Where did you get that understanding from?

I thought Pires was brought in as we had an injury crisis, were just about to name the tealady's dog on the bench and he was a free agent who had, apparently, been training with Arsenal.

Â