Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

The games we normally call open worlds – the locked off cities and level-restricted grinding grounds – don’t compare to this. While everyone else is faffing around with how to control and restrict the player, Bethesda just put a **** country in a box. It’s the best open world game I’ve ever played, the most liberating RPG I’ve ever played, and one of my favourite places in this or any other world.

Love this finishing quote from the PC Gamer review :)

It was on my doorstep, and it is practically perfect. The only minor compliant I can have is that some of the PS3 trophies seem to be broken but it matters not.

It's **** incredible. Lived up to all my expectations so far, and more besides. I have never played a game that has such atmosphere and a truly living and breathing world as this. It makes Oblivion look wooden in comparison, and I've only put in a few hours so far. Avoiding spoilers; I did the first proper optional quest in the first town you visit. The dungeon was fantastic, the way it looked, felt, played, the sounds, the enemies - and I'm certain there are going to be many more of these dotted around the map. ughhhhh. I just want to play it and play it and play it. I can't though. Perhaps I will dream of playing it tonight.

I didn't really have any set plan as to what I was going to do with my character when I started, so just went with what I felt like at the character creation screen. Ended up being a Khajit cos they look soooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuute

My favourite moments so far, squealing with delight as I spotting my first Rabbit but failing to kill it/track it through a lightly wooded area. And finding a 'basin' (I don't know if there are few of these around, my guess is there are, but I've only found the one at the moment) and getting my ass handed to me by 2 sets of very large wild creatures. no spoiler. :D

just completed Batman main storyline and done about 60% of the overall completion.

I will probably trade in and buy arkham city again when it's £15 to finish it off.

Are game offering Skyrim for £5 if you trade in Batman?

looking at the overall map btw, Cyrodil looks considerably larger than Skyrim.

is that reflected in the game?

I imagine it's packed with more places to explore though. there was a lot of open space in Oblivion. good for hunting though and tracking animals.

Played about 6 hours last night. Agree with Hogso's gushing, it's **** incredible (I did that early side mission from the village too, so I know exactly what you're talking about :) )

I've gone for a destruction/necromancer type and some of the spells even at this early stage are just fantastic.

Quick comparison of 360 vs PS3.

Seems if you have the choice, PS3 is the one to get. Much more detailed textures, presumably because the 360 is (again) being held back by the capacity of DVD and Bethesda cannot guarantee that everybody who owns a 360 will have a hard drive because of all the Arcade units Microsoft sold. Twice in a month now with Battlefield 3.

I forgot to even mention Smithing and Cooking (although the latter is not a skill and therefore does not count toward levelling), wonderful wonderful inclusions. I spent along time smithing when I found my first proper Smithing shop. The proprietor of the store invited me to create a dagger and some armor and stuff, acting as a tutorial of sorts. And then I was hooked. Upgraded all my armour, but had to buy the components from a store.I look forward to getting out into the world and finding some rare ore to smelt and other items to turn into armor and weapons and such.

And the brawling in bars! Fantastic. I think I may have an advantage over non-Khajit though as apparently Khajit have a better hand-to-hand attack due to their claws.

OH MAN and the voices. All the different accents and actors they have used for them are great. Really helps the world feel more real and immersive when the local beggar doesnt have the same voice as the guy who owns the weapons shop ala Oblivion :D

Â