Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

So far, so very good. They have got rid of a few more cumbersome things like having to rest to level up etc. Love the death moves when you kill an enemy. Still getting used to the skills page (probably should read the instructions!), and shame you cannot see what your equipping easily in the items menu, but minor things. Graphics are fantastic, the world draws you in. Great stuff.

Word of warning/relief to the 360 crowd. There is a texture bug that happens when you install and run from the hdd. Run from disc for now until it is patched as the day one patch didnt cover it. Without the texture bug it is identical to the ps3 version.

I couldnt decide which version to get this morning but i plumped for the 360 over ps3 just because i prefer the controller a little more. Have to say it is stunning, it looks phenomenal in parts where as some parts you can tell its struggling, some of the textures (even without the bug) are horrible, the ms paint snow and glitchy shading in windhelm are a bit jarring for xample, but it mostly look amazing. I stood and looked at the 'northern lights' for a good three minutes and the streams and rivers are gorgeous. Its quite a step up from oblivion as are the lovely animations.

Only done a few quests so far, just gonna mess around for a bit now and see what and where i can discover. Oh and if you can, get the official strategy guide, the map that comes with it is vast and infinitely more useful than the parchment map that comes with the game.

Just bought it. Can I launch into another Game rant please?

They really are a bunch of utter c***s. There can't be another chain of shops in the world who take so long to serve customers. A lad in front of me was trading in a couple of games including Fifa 11. The girl at the till took ages to explain that if he'd traded it in a couple of weeks after buying it, he'd have got a lot more than the 12 and a half pence they had currently offered him. Yes you silly bitch, but then he wouldn't have been able to play it for all these months would he? Which as he was buying Fifa 12, I'd say he was probably doing on a regular basis!

Happily though, one look at my face was enough to make the spotty youth serving me decide against offering me any add ons. I think he started to form the words "would you like the gameplay guide" in his mouth but decided that discretion was the better part of valour. ****.

Just bought it. Can I launch into another Game rant please?

They really are a bunch of utter c***s. There can't be another chain of shops in the world who take so long to serve customers. A lad in front of me was trading in a couple of games including Fifa 11. The girl at the till took ages to explain that if he'd traded it in a couple of weeks after buying it, he'd have got a lot more than the 12 and a half pence they had currently offered him. Yes you silly bitch, but then he wouldn't have been able to play it for all these months would he? Which as he was buying Fifa 12, I'd say he was probably doing on a regular basis!

Happily though, one look at my face was enough to make the spotty youth serving me decide against offering me any add ons. I think he started to form the words "would you like the gameplay guide" in his mouth but decided that discretion was the better part of valour. ****.

Ha, good rant! Do GAME do it any other way? The only reason I got it from there was because of the Arkham City deal otherwise I wouldnt have gone near it.

You'd have loved the greasy family of cretins in front of me who were purchasing MW3, the guy on the tills gave them a 5 minute explanation on the intel packvand a few minutes of info on that elite pass thing, then AFTER waynetta had paid for it she then wanted to trade in about 15 games for her son, who does that??? I asked the guy to get someone else to open up another till, thankfully he was quick about it but the guy did try to force sell me the guide, I said yes as I was getting it anyway but still, nearly said no to piss him off......GRRRRRRR!!!!

Picked it up myself.

The deal we were offering customers with the guide was better than the one we'd get had we used discount, so gone for that including a trade 2 get an extra 5 off... except my colleague forgot that I should get the extra 5 off... :angry:.

Bloody Amazon and their shitty delivery partners, Royal Mail. That's three deliveries in a row that they've not come on the right day. Gits. I guess VT will be up until Monday at least.

Gamestation mate. Why'd you ask?

Just curious. I presume you work in the one on New Street then? If I dont buy my games from Amazon or Steam I tend to get them in Birmingham as I am in the city centre virtually every day so I just wondered if you had served me at any point.

I thankfully don't work at New Street :D, though if I stay long enough in the job chances are I eventually will get a few hours there, Gamestation (and Game) staff regularly get sent out to other stores to cover and the like. It's the flagship store in the country IIRC and is mental at Christmas. I work in a smaller store and thats bad enough when busy, sod doing that in a store with a much bigger potential footfall.

Yeah, I saw the crowds at the midnight launch of MW3. It was crazy, especially as HMV is literally around the corner and the queue for their midnight launch was tiny. I finished work at about a quarter to midnight, walked the 200 yards to the corner of New Street and High Street and I could see a crowd of people at Gamestation. I walked up there and there must have been two hundred people inside the shop and a few dozen outside. I walked down to HMV and despite getting there at about ten to midnight I found myself 9th in the queue. I was back in my car by quarter past. **** knows what time the people who rolled up at Gamestation a ten to midnight got home.

I worked the Black Ops midnight last year at our place, that was bad enough, 90 minutes of constant queue. This year I escaped and got the early shift next day, but I heard that the queue at hours was 2 hours constant customers. Madness, I can only imagine what New St. was like.

Anywho, I just sparked up the GiantBomb QL of this to watch, settled down with a drink and a bacon sandwich, all ready to enjoy... 'Jeff and Patrick, welcome to Skyrim!'. ...Eurgh.

Hate him. I can't stand his voice, the way he articulates things, the smugness that abounds around him to my mind. He often somehow manages to make himself sound even more dismissive about things than a bunch of older guys who have grown cynical of the whole industry. I don't even particularly like the way he writes - it's clearly a more professional style he writes in but it's also pretty much standard hackneyed intellectual script.

I've actually been saved from an increasing urge to send some money WhiskeyMedia's way because of his creeping increasing presence. I used to watch most Quicklooks, even stuff I wasn't particularly interested in I'd watch for the entertainment value and to learn something for work, only avoiding the stuff I know I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever, and I'd listen to the Bombcast each week a couple of times just for the giggles. Now, I find myself clicking a QL video tentatively awaiting his hideous tones that are increasingly common and then having to sigh if it's something I want to watch hoping he just doesn't say much, or just closing it often it's something I'm not too bothered with. And I get a genuine sense of disappointment when he's on the Bombcast.

I really, really enjoyed the Game of the Year coverage stuff last year, genuinely it was some of the best stuff GBs done imo. I listened to all the individual podcast deliberations, all the top 10s, all the individual game winner retrospectives, loved every minute. Even the 2 hours over whether Mass Effect really was the game of the year. I'm dreading it this year, because Patrick is going to be all over it and I fear he'll be let off the leash they've had him on knowing that the entire site user base isn't keen on change and Patrick can be fairly grating.

Anywho, I've had a crack at Skyrim and... It's great. I've done the intro and done what everyone then does, gone wandering. In an hour or so I've cleared a cave and gone up to about level 4. Nothing particularly great so far for my Imperial, he's even going to be played in the most straight forward manner (one handed, shield, some minor magic use, occasional sneaking).

Had an issue to begin with though, the game's opening didn't work. The game opens with you and some other fellas captive on a cart. My first crack had the group just stood beside the cart with me unable to do anything at all but look around a little and listen to a horse snuffle, had to restart. Literally the first piece of Skyrim I encountered was a bug :D

Bethesda's big open world games always are buggy as ****. There'll be a huge patch in a few weeks that'll fix bugs you've never even seen. It's supposedly the least off the shelf buggy game in the series though so at least they're getting better.

The 360 texture issue is weird. The game looks better running off disc, but loads better running off HDD. Clearing your cache allegedly helps with the dodgy textures with installed copies, but thats not confirmed. Bethesda claim they'll have a fix in the first major update.

Â