SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

This is the problem with selling before you buy.

Wigan had agreed to sell N'Zogbia to Birmingham in January for 9 mill. Now they are rejecting that in the summer knowing that we are both desperate and flush with cash.

It seems the board are learning lessions the hard way.

Couple of things on this

I wouldn't have thought we were flush with cash to be honest or that everyone else thinks we are, desperate maybe but not flush

On the learning lessons do you think they should still be in a position of learning these type of fundamental transfer lessons 5 years in to owning the club?

None of us VTers know anywhere near enough about the complexities of completing many of the transfers a club of our size attempts. I therefore don't see how anyone can confidently post about 'learning lessons', time dependant or not.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

Informed that #AVFC have yet to submit a formal bid to #WAFC for Charles N'Zogbia despite 'Sky Sources'.

Comical.

I know! There are SO many 'sources understand' type statements that contradict each other. Why don't we wait to see what happens instead?

None of us VTers know anywhere near enough about the complexities of completing many of the transfers a club of our size attempts. I therefore don't see how anyone can confidently post about 'learning lessons', time dependant or not.
I would suggest that none of us know anywhere near enough about the complexities of anything to do with running a football club from defining a business strategy of one to training methods and techniques, motivational issues with the modern footballer, tactical implementation and picking teams, analysis of opposition performance and designing a strategy to compete. But is does not stop us commenting on them all, if we did not then sites like this would not exist

I'd have thought the board would have learnt this lession previously but perhaps the change of CEO means lessons must be learnt all over again?

change of CEO? when? PF gone? or you mean when he came in?

It does all seem peculiar that things weren't already sorted before we let Downing go, as was suggested by some.

I'm sure Whelan does smell blood and thinks he can get way more out of the deal. If we have other targets then we are in a strong position as there don't seem to be any other clubs who can afford N'Zogbia. But, if we don't have any other targets to try for, we are a bit scuppered and may have to pay more than we wanted to.

Myself, I'd probably go to about £12m but any more than that would be way too risky.

Whelan is just being cagey. He knows how we basically accepted that Downing was off, but stood firm over the fee and is probably trying to do the same. The only thing is, what sort of valuation does he place on CNZ?

And at what point do we say 'no thank-you, not for that much' and walk away?

I would suggest that none of us know anywhere near enough about the complexities of anything to do with running a football club from defining a business strategy of one to training methods and techniques, motivational issues with the modern footballer, tactical implementation and picking teams, analysis of opposition performance and designing a strategy to compete. But is does not stop us commenting on them all, if we did not then sites like this would not exist

Hold on are you talking about us or the board and manager here...very thin line and this sounds an accurate summary of those in charge now ;)

VT would still thrive on our opinions of things we had a clue about. I don't undertand the point in using clueless guesses to make any point, especially non-constructive ones.

I see it like this. We do have other targets......DW playing a game with this one, when we know whats going on then we may bid for Zog......or we may not, we have 2 weeks to sign 5 players and only one is close and he has to decide on taking a wage drop.

like I said a couple of hours back - @ 50k pw - I doubt he will come. (ignoring the rights and wrongs - but thats just as I see it)

Other thing is the fee being agreed usually comes after the player has been sounded out over wages and if he is interested at all. This transfer seems a long way off (if not dead)and we don't appear to have done either....

David Bentley Anyone !

trouble is whelan would have no qualms about keeping him for his last yr contract as keeping wigan up is much more than any fee he will get for N'Zogbia so he'll hold out unless a high fee comes into play or N'Zogbia throws a paddy in the press

we do have some drama queens on here!!

its all progressing nicely as far as i can see....

Wigan ask for £10m, we offer £9mill, negotiations take place, fee gets agreed.

then player's agent asks for £80/week, we offer £40k/week, negotiations take place, we agree on £50/60/70k per week.

thats all quite normal.

in fact, i'm surprised how close bothe parties are at £9m vs £10m.

a lot of transfers start at a difference of millions, then it takes a lot longer to agree a common ground.

Would it not be a huge gamble to put all his eggs in one basket, as in thinking N'Zogbia alone will be able to keep them up, if he was to keep him and they did go down, not only would he lose him due to his contract expiring but also have lost out on £10mil?

Would it not be a huge gamble to put all his eggs in one basket, as in thinking N'Zogbia alone will be able to keep them up, if he was to keep him and they did go down, not only would he lose him due to his contract expiring but also have lost out on £10mil?

Different ball game at wigan. Every season they avoid relegation is a bonus.

Agree about letting him go on a free - but if the player doesn't want to move .....?