SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Whelan is in quite a strong position. He knows we have £20m. He knows we need to replace Downing. He probably has a fair idea that our board are in a tricky position with the fans and that they need to placate them with a signing after seeing Young & SD leave. I'd also argue against those saying it is in both clubs' best interests for this to happen. If I was Dave Whelan I'd much rather let N'Zogbia go for nothing next season having kept Wigan up in 11/12 rather than get £10m/£11m this summer and probably go down this season. He's about £30m better off in the other scenario and the guarantee of a free transfer would probably make Zog quite happy to stay there and do the biz.

I think really this is just a case of semantics... no formal bid has been accepted, but we probably have spoken to Whelan about what we'd be prepared to offer and what he'd be prepared to accept.

If Lerner / Faulkner have a good rapport with Whelan, as appears to be the case, then i'm sure that an official bid would go in once a fee has been agreed in principal.

If this actually gets done, it wont be before next Monday. I'm getting so frustrated with how SLOW things are moving. 5 days for them to reject an offer when Downing was signed and sealed after two rejected bids in days. Sooner or later, other clubs are going to realise how good Zog is and put bids in.

Arghhhhhhhh :bang:

Whelan is in quite a strong position. He knows we have £20m. He knows we need to replace Downing. He probably has a fair idea that our board are in a tricky position with the fans and that they need to placate them with a signing after seeing Young & SD leave. I'd also argue against those saying it is in both clubs' best interests for this to happen. If I was Dave Whelan I'd much rather let N'Zogbia go for nothing next season having kept Wigan up in 11/12 rather than get £10m/£11m this summer and probably go down this season. He's about £30m better off in the other scenario and the guarantee of a free transfer would probably make Zog quite happy to stay there and do the biz.

I agree with this.

N'Zogbia could be the difference (again) of Wigan staying up in the Premier League and that would be worth much more than losing 10 million.

Whelan has already fooled the board once and he can do it again easily.

This is the problem with selling before you buy.

Wigan had agreed to sell N'Zogbia to Birmingham in January for 9 mill. Now they are rejecting that in the summer knowing that we are both desperate and flush with cash.

It seems the board are learning lessions the hard way.

Couple of things on this

I wouldn't have thought we were flush with cash to be honest or that everyone else thinks we are, desperate maybe but not flush

On the learning lessons do you think they should still be in a position of learning these type of fundamental transfer lessons 5 years in to owning the club?

This is the problem with selling before you buy.

Wigan had agreed to sell N'Zogbia to Birmingham in January for 9 mill. Now they are rejecting that in the summer knowing that we are both desperate and flush with cash.

It seems the board are learning lessions the hard way.

Couple of things on this

I wouldn't have thought we were flush with cash to be honest or that everyone else thinks we are, desperate maybe but not flush

On the learning lessons do you think they should still be in a position of learning these type of fundamental transfer lessons 5 years in to owning the club?

We just sold £35m worth of players. We must have some cash...

I'd have thought the board would have learnt this lession previously but perhaps the change of CEO means lessons must be learnt all over again?

I agree with this.

N'Zogbia could be the difference (again) of Wigan staying up in the Premier League and that would be worth much more than losing 10 million.

Whelan has already fooled the board once and he can do it again easily.

I very much doubt N'Zogbia will stay at Wigan another season. He will 100% move on. I just think Whelan is trying to get as much as possible for his most prized asset. Just like any other club should and as we did with Downing.

Have some cahoonas, call his bluff and walk away. This guys may be a 10 million pound player in the current climate, but he is not much more!

So in the the "current climate" CNz is half the player JH is?

Is JH worth £20m? No imo. however when looking at other deals this summer, including those of two of our very own left wingers, you would have to conclude that in the current climate CNz every inch a £10m player.

We are flush with cash after said sales and desperate for a winger.

forget what was offered in Jan, its supply and demand, we are desperate.

DW knows this, and for the life of me cant understand why anyone is so shocked over his stance, we would, and have done exactly the same with our players the last couple of years.

If Abraham is right, (and I think it is safe enough to assume we will hear from DW over the course of the day and therefore find out) it is an absolute joke, no formal bid, what the **** are they waiting for? Cuellar to go to Rangers so there's even more space off the wage budget? I know people are constantly citing Fifa and football manager about signing players but Steve Bruce has signed 10 already and managed to sell a few, he doesn't make it look as hard as it is for our board.

So in the the "current climate" CNz is half the player JH is?

He is half the contract so yes he is half the player in a transfer market. You can't make a player ability comparison on one hand and then cite supply and demand in the next paragraph to justify a value. Transfer fees are a combination of many things over and above how good a player actually is. Which is why it's annoying to read morons on twitter saying 'if Downing is £20m then so is N'Zogbia'.