SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

If we cant get N'Zogbia, how about Craig Bellamy?

No thanks, 32.

Yeah he is too old and his wages are too high. He stated in an interview recently he doesnt wanna take a pay cut because he uses his wages to fund his academy in Africa. Fair play.

Villa are playing a dangerous game here.

Were trying to set some precedent stating were not going to pay over the odds for players i could probably understand if they were asking for 5 mill over the asking price but with the figures being banded about is it worth us playing hard ball over a mere 1 million when we know everton are interested and are currently struggling to get the funds together and need to sell 2 players to fund the signing?

I will be pissed off if we miss out on him because everton complete their sales and bid for him when we were in pole position to sign him but miss out due to us not paying the 10 mill they want.

Villa are playing a dangerous game here.

Were trying to set some precedent stating were not going to pay over the odds for players i could probably understand if they were asking for 5 mill over the asking price but with the figures being banded about is it worth us playing hard ball over a mere 1 million when we know everton are interested and are currently struggling to get the funds together and need to sell 2 players to fund the signing?

I will be pissed off if we miss out on him because everton complete their sales and bid for him when we were in pole position to sign him but miss out due to us not paying the 10 mill they want.

Agree.

Ofcourse the club need to act with a certain level of prudence, but £1m is splitting hairs considering the current transfer market prices. Ofcourse this is all guesswork, and I doubt that Kendrick (or anyone else in the media) would be privvy to the exact details of the deal before it gets finalised.

Understandable that the club need to set a precedent for good business, but £10m would certainly represent good business, as would anything below about £13m IMO.

I agree. If Wigan are pushing for £15m then walk away but if it's about £1m then we should just pay it because, despite what some at the club may think, we are desperate for reinforcements. Our squad has been significantly reduced this summer and we need a number of replacements in the immediate future. Not long left until the season starts and we need the squad (including signings) to have played together a bit before our first game.

This is worryingly starting to look like the Robbie Keane Fiasco!

This!

I have never forgiven Herbert for that.

The pessimist in me would say we're bidding just to short to make it look like we're trying but with no hope of actually getting him.

We really do need to tie this one up this week. I can't think of a better replacement for Ash that is available, If we do miss out I fear we'd turn to the likes of SWP or a player of his ilk.

Didn't the General state that Randy is not concerned about transfer fees as long as we don't pay over the odds in Wages?

Personally (and i know it's easy to say) I'd pay whatever it takes to get this deal done this week. Even f it costs us a good part of the Downing fee I want to see this happen.

I'm not getting too concerned about this just yet. The clubs are meeting today and will probably get it sorted out, I imagine we'll split the difference and a fee of around £9.5m will be agreed.

I like the way some people think they now the financial details of these transfers :lol:

"Just pay the extra million"

Idiots

Doesn't sound so stupid to me, if that's what will get him and there aren't many better options than that then pay what they are looking for. We wanted more for Downing, Liverpool paid it because they wanted him.

I think once the fee is agreed the deal will be wrapped up quite swiftly as AMc will want him on the plane on saturday, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few deals done this week! Fingers crossed! And IMO N'Zogbia would be a fantastic, exciting signing, he singlehandedly kept Wigan up, so I'm not surprised they're asking a little more than they were in January as his performances went up a notch.

We really do need to tie this one up this week. I can't think of a better replacement for Ash that is available, If we do miss out I fear we'd turn to the likes of SWP or a player of his ilk.

Didn't the General state that Randy is not concerned about transfer fees as long as we don't pay over the odds in Wages?

Personally (and i know it's easy to say) I'd pay whatever it takes to get this deal done this week. Even f it costs us a good part of the Downing fee I want to see this happen.

The thing which seems a little odd to me is the fact that the media have been reporting that on the very evening that Downing was given persmission to talk to Liverpool, PF was on the phone to Dave Whelan, trying to sort out the NZogbia deal.

The fact that they seem happy for the deal to drag out seems to contradict this somewhat. I.e. The urgency with which the talks were instigated (in the wake of the Downing deal), doesnt appear to be matched with a similar urgency to conclude the deal.

Perhaps this deal has been in the offing for some time and is set to be dragged out in a Milner-esque transfer saga.

This!

The pessimist in me would say we're bidding just to short to make it look like we're trying but with no hope of actually getting him.

It was Gregory that wouldnt pay the extra £.5m, not Doug.

This!

It was JG who refused to pay the extra money for Keane.