SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

If this Mirror story is true, and I strongly disbelieve it is, simply because it's a crap red top paper, I wouldn't blame Villa for taking this stance. Get the deal done by Saturday or move on. N'Zogbia will not get a better offer than Villa. Take it, quickly, or we'll move on and he'll have to take his chances with midtable teams next year when he's on a free. The league might be a different place by then with the Likes of Everton well out of the picture. I want him to sign, but I also don't want Wigan or Charlie boy to play silly buggers.

Move on to who?

Theres simply not an abundance of wingers with Prem experience available.

We desperately need one - wed be best just coughing up here.

However if N'Zogbia himself doesnt want to come here it really would be quite embarrasing.

I expect Villa to have done their homework mate and come up with an alternative. Whether it's Bentley, Richardson, Sinclair, Krancjar, Verhoek etc. I know we're talking about Villa here, but I'd expect them to have sounded out other clubs just in case the Charlie boy transfer gets fouled up somehow.

Charlie plays like ash and is a match winner, not saying he is as good but a similar style. Vargas is like downing, but is more than an average footballer with one pace setting who can cross. Vargas started as a left back too so if needed we could fit albrighton, Charlie and juan in the same team. I say get it done. Along with Parker, given, Hutton and a striker I think we'd all be delighted.

Downing once pace setting? :lol:

Or one? He has a burst over a yard but not exactly explosive, any decent full back sticks close and doesn't give him space. With Carroll on deaths door for most of season, his crosses won't mean much. Also Gerrard crocker, Adam barely moves, they aren't gonna have a pacey midfield are they? We are better off rid and get N'zog for half the price would be fantastic!

I am really keen on the Zog and think selling DJ and buying the Zog for half the price is great business.

BUT this is because I rate the Zog and not because I don't rate DJ. I felt that he struggled to beat top quality full backs when he was at Boro' hence why he struggled in an England jersey but he is a different player now. Ged's pushing him to play on the right side has meant that he has developed his right foot and the outside of his left foot - this means that he can now go either way and has a trick to beat his full back. He is not a "speed merchant" but he doesn't need to be.

The Independent (far more respected than The Mirror) say the deal is done and N'Zogbia will sign this week.

Alex McLeish hopes to persuade Scott Parker to join Aston Villa this week, when the new Villa manager looks to begin spending the proceeds of Stewart Downing's £20m sale on Charles N'Zogbia, Shay Given and the West Ham captain.

The deal with Wigan Athletic for N'Zogbia has already been agreed and the player, who will cost around £10m, should sign this week. Manchester City want £5m for Given and have already rejected a bid of £2m from Villa but should settle for between £3m and £4m.

Parker, 30, has been looked at by Arsenal and Tottenham as a possible acquisition this summer. Spurs have been slow off the mark in this transfer window with chairman Daniel Levy focusing his efforts on selling around six squad players – they have taken 28 on tour to South Africa – including David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas and Wilson Palacios before he starts sanctioning new signings.

McLeish hopes that he can use the Downing money from Liverpool to sign Parker this week. The midfielder is valued at around £9m and has been the subject of interest from his former club Chelsea, who would like him on loan. For Villa, a return of three players with the revenue from Downing shows why the club were prepared to sell the England winger. The club are also on the look-out for a left-back, with Stephen Warnock keen to move back to the north-west.

The former Villa manager Gérard Houllier claimed yesterday that he still had "unfinished business" in the game even though heart problems in April eventually forced him to step down from the manager's job. He said he would "definitely be linked with football" in the future.

"We had a case of unfinished business [at Villa]," he added. "There was an option of leaving the team to Gary McAllister, who was my assistant, and I would come back in September but the chairman and owner wanted to go another route and I have to respect that. We left on good terms, no acrimony.

"I just want to make sure I get fit again and then we'll see. But I will follow the doctors' advice and if the advice is not to get back into management, I won't. The strong advice was not to go back to business until the end of September but they are happy with the recovery."

The Independent generally deal in facts when it comes to football so fingers crossed.

Sounds plausible to me...However, it does also say that Man City want £5m for Given? Wasn't or hasn't the fee already been agreed?

We put a bid of £2million then we upped it - Man City wanted £5mil and they caved in around 3.5/4mil and accepted is what its saying.

If we get all 3 then that is pretty good business. I mean 3 good players for essentially the money made off of 1 good player. If he's allowed to use some of the Young money as well then we may be looking pretty strong come day one of the new season.

Bicks i don't think Liverpool got a bargin, they have got a very good player but they have payed good money for him.

Our player of the year last year (imo at least) with two years on his contract goes for just above what we got for Ashley Young with 1 year left on his contract (who wasn't as good as Downing last year), they got a bargain

Agreed.

Thirded.

English, International, Premier League experience, left footed and in his prime.

Bargain at 20 million when you LOOK at what is being paid for the likes of Phil Jones and Jordan Henderson.

Personally, I would have told him he was going nowhere and if he worked hard this season, we might sell for next. We would have still got IRO 15 million for him.

Everyone elses players seem to be valued much higher than our own on this forum. How many times do you see:

"He would cost XXX way out of our range"

"He is only worth XXX, we got a good price"

Crazy :shock:

MatKendrick Mat Kendrick

Original N'Zogbia bid still on the table as #avfc refuse to be held to ransom by #wafc

After the nice words from Whelan after the Martinez talks, you'd think he'd make this a little easier on the Villa :P

Glad to hear that, its a joke that they accepted a 9mil bid for him in January when he was their best player and their best hope of staying up then now are mouthing off and claiming he should be worth more.

Glad to hear that, its a joke that they accepted a 9mil bid for him in January when he was their best player and their best hope of staying up then now are mouthing off and claiming he should be worth more.

He is their player and they can do what they want just the same as we can we are selling our players.