The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

Warnings of a spoilers kind!!!!!

I'm not sure Nolans interpretation of Bane needed much of a backstory other than as a plot device and decoy for Talia, he is a mercenary for hire who has a weakness for Talia, she hired him knowing he would do pretty much anything for her due to his love for her which ultimately led to his downfall.

Much like the guy who was happy to die in the plane crash, Bane was happy to play his part to further Talias/LoS cause because he wanted to impress Talia.

That's what I thought anyway, probably wrong though.

In a way, Talia was the real villain and the real mastermind - which was one reason why I rank this film below the first two, she never, ever seemed sufficiently slimy or menacing to me, even after her identity was revealed.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure Nolans interpretation of Bane needed much of a backstory other than as a plot device and decoy for Talia, he is a mercenary for hire who has a weakness for Talia, she hired him knowing he would do pretty much anything for her due to his love for her which ultimately led to his downfall.

Much like the guy who was happy to die in the plane crash, Bane was happy to play his part to further Talias/LoS cause because he wanted to impress Talia.

In a way, Talia was the real villain and the real mastermind - which was one reason why I rank this film below the first two, she never, ever seemed sufficiently slimy or menacing to me, even after her identity was revealed.

But doesn't that mean she was successful then? Well not in the end obviously but I mean successful in hiding her identity? She hid it well and if I hadn't read about her beforehand I wouldn't have known.

But doesn't that mean she was successful then? Well not in the end obviously but I mean successful in hiding her identity? She hid it well and if I hadn't read about her beforehand I wouldn't have known.

Successful in hiding her identity, yes, just not as appealing as the Joker, Bane, Ra's or the other villains in Nolan's Batverse. She wasn't superfluous to the story, but she felt that way to me, at least somewhat.

We went to a different cinema last night (ODEON New Street)
:shock: Not a good choice on a Saturday night or at anytime to be honest.

I don't go to the cinema often due to the selfish clearings in the woods who frequent them. Phones lit up the cinema like lighthouse beacons, a lost child put his hand on my head during the film and the man sitting in front of me must have touched my knees at least five times :|

Might avoid multiplexes from now on and go to the Electric or IMAX.

*spoilers*

Bane is far, far too loud... it almost feels like you're watching a poorly dubbed foreign language film when he speaks

yep, but that wasn't even the main problem for me. It was his absolutely absurd accent/voice/speaking style. I really couldn't take his character at all seriously. I dunno if it was true to the comic or not (because I don't know shit about Batman), or if Hardy was let down by the script, or whatever: but I thought Bane was a pretty weak villain.

the **** pointless additional complexity of Daggett trying to take over Wayne Enterprises and bankrupt Bruce

yep - didn't really get any of those bits (stock exchange scene, Bruce's fingerprints, Board takeover scenes...) and don't feel any need to try to. If Bane knew Bruce was Batman and was gonna chuck him in that prison, why bother with any of that stuff if he was just going to kill Dagget anyway? Just seems like a half-arsed excuse to have a set-piece on Wall St.

flawed as ****

Yeh. And lastly why the **** did seemingly every single person (except poor old naive Commissioner Gordon) in Gotham/elsewhere know Bruce was Batman? And if everyone thought he had murdered Dent, why didn't anyone attempt to arrest him?

The more I think about it, the more crap I think it was. I mean, action films - and to even greater extent comic book films - are meant to be taken with a heavy helping of salt, but this was just confusing, boring, uninvolving and stupid. Bah. :twisted:

Oh and what the **** is wrong with people these days? We went to a different cinema last night (ODEON New Street) and while it wasn't the really **** annoying kids, honestly... how **** hard is to sit down, shut the **** up and turn your **** phone off for a couple of hours? The screening was packed and we ended up sat in the middle of a row with a gang of lads trying their hardest to look shifty and out for trouble, and a couple who looked like something out of what I imagine the Only Way is Essex is like.

The lads would not **** shut up, and if I never hear the message alert tone from a iPhone or Blackberry again it'll be too soon. I mean, we've paid our money go enjoy a film, not to listen to wannabe gangsters flap their wispy top lip and regale us all with how **** funny they are (more laughs in abortion clinics), nor did I want the film to have an additional score by way of tinny speakers alerting some clearing in the woods that Sharon's added the photos from Marbella. Oh and I also didn't need the auditorium lit up like Blackpool Pleasure Beach from the assorted Retina screens for the entire **** running time.

Nor can I possibly understand why people don't get what a 12A is. There was a 6 year old in that showing last night. I really needed to have the screen blocked every half hour because the kid needed a piss. On the plus side the regular pissing blocked my retinas from being burned out by the collected force of people receiving tags and tweets that really had to be checked that very moment. On the downside, right at the moment where the film really starts to kick in, the child returned from pissing to loudly announce 'WHERES BATMAN?!', at a frequency and volume that I believe could have drawn answers from Sydney. I know its a Batman film, but it's a 12. It isn't a kids film. Leave the kids at home. It won't have so far to go to piss and will annoy far fewer people.

Honestly, I don't understand why people are unable to take consideration for other people in a cinema. If you're so desperately required to look at your phone, or have a chat, or can't understand what an age rating is, don't go to the cinema.

Spot on!

I couldn't have put it better Chindie. The above situation is the main reason I don't go to the cinema much anymore. As you say, people seem unable to leave there phones alone for 2-3 hours while they watch a film.

I used to go 2-3 times a week to the cinema back in the early-mid 90's when mobiles where more of a luxury and very few people had them (I think I had my first in 97). I think I have only been to the cinema about 5 times in the last 5 years and every time I have got wound up by people texting, taking and making calls and acting like arseholes!

That being said, i'm off to see TDKR tomorrow.. my first venture to the cinema since The Inbetweeners!

****SPOILERS ****

Bane didn't want his finger prints. He was being paid to get them by Daggett.

I completely disagree with you on Bane. I thought he was a top villain and well played. The Bane I have in my head comes from the games and he has a Spanish accent in that as he is South American. I liked the fact he was a bit of a posh boy and pretty erudite.

I like his line about the kid having a lovely lovely voice while twiddling his fingers for the detonator. I liked his whole look and demeanour.

The villains have all been strong. Ledger's Joker stands out but then the Joker is the best character in the Batman universe.

I thought the film was grea but there wasn't much of a link between the 2nd and 3rd films. Seems like a continuation of Batman Begins with a tiny bit of Dark Knight thrown in.

Totally agree on the part about annoying people not being able to leave their phones along or keep quiet for a few hours!

at cineworld wolverhampton most people are half way to being sensible, the young kids thing is starting to annoy the **** out of me, 3 year old at a film that finished at half 9 (although some toddler shouting "wow that looks amazing" after the man of steel trailer was brilliant)

i thought it was brilliant, tons of flaws and little annoyances but it was great, i think the fact the i wasnt expecting to like bane but actually found him great helped

I thought the film was grea but there wasn't much of a link between the 2nd and 3rd films. Seems like a continuation of Batman Begins with a tiny bit of Dark Knight thrown in.

I thought the opposite honestly. The only real links between Begins and Rises were the League of Shadows stuff. But Wayne wanting to give Batman up and wanting to pas it on was all very TDK. Begins he was very happy being Batman, the 2nd and 3rd quite the opposite.

A friend pointed out to me afterwards that the villains side of thing is basically a copy of The World Is Not Enough, it really is when you look at them both.

ODEON New Street

You went to that Odeon on a saturday night? What were you expecting?!

I went there for the first and last time last year to watch the Deathly Hallows. What a **** circus. We bought 1st class tickets but people, or should I say kids sat where they wanted - obviously. If I'd have known it was full of arse holes I would never have even stepped foot inside. Star City on the other hand.

Watched Batman yesterday and was quite impressed although I can see why many found it a better viewing second time round. Alot goes on throughout the film for me to take in, especially after I reflect on something that's just happened then bam!

I found Bane to be an awesome character and Tom Hardy plays him very well. The voice was great although I see what a few of you were saying about him sounding 'loud'. Both fight scenes between him and Batman are stunning, especially the first. The rest of the cast were fantastic too. Great film, and the more I reflect in the more I want to see it again!

TDK is better in my opinion but that's taking nothing away from this. Stunning round-up to a fantastic Nolan trilogy.

Nor can I possibly understand why people don't get what a 12A is. There was a 6 year old in that showing last night.

Whilst I agree with 99% of your post Chindie a 12A doesn't mean kids can't go? It means under 12's can only go accompanied by an Adult? They also don't rate films because they know kids go to the toilet more than adults?

Don't your local cinemas do over-18 screenings up there? Pretty much a necesity for the low-rated blockbuster films these days, unless you're going for a stupid-o'-clock showing anyways.

Times don't matter in my experience, spiderman 8.30 tuesday night showing, 4 year olds in there

Spiderman at least I can understand is half way to being a kids film, batman just isn't IMO I can't see anyone under 10 having a clue what's going on, worst I've experienced is a kid who must have been 3 at the most at the woman in black, spent most of the film asking what's Harry doing

Watched it at IMAX on Friday, the 2:30hrs went by fast, was a good film, not too sure if i'd go to IMAX again tho, we sat in reasonably decent seats, about 6 rows back in the middle, but i wasnt wowed by the screen anymore than a normal cinema.

Only tripe with film is Banes voice, there are times when it is very difficult to make out what he is saying. It probably part of the character to but when he talks there is no expression on his face either.

I'd give it a 8/10

You guys must go to some shitty ass cinemas at bad times, cos I can't say that the experiences people have spoken about in this thread have been anything I've experienced on a regular occasion at the flicks in recent years. I guess it must be the cinemas in larger cities...then again, if youre in Brum and went to the Electric rather than Odeon, I'd be surprised if you encountered the same kind of thing.

Watched it at The Giant Screen last night. Thought it was excellent. If anybody hasnt seen it and hasnt been to see a film there. I reccomend it. I booked a couple of seats on the back row. "M" and you can't even see anyone else in there, let alone here them!

Â